How do you deal with regret?

by sonnyboy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

You have to learn to laugh at yourself. If you can laugh at yourself, then embarrassing moments aren't so bad. As for regrets about what could have been, I've learned to look at the good things I have in my life. If things had been different in the past, I probably wouldn't have these good things now, and I wouldn't be the strong person I am today. And now I live my life with the motto, "No regrets." When it comes to making a decision, I think, "Will I regret it later if I don't do it?"

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

"By the crossness of the face the heart is made better" - Proverbs 7:3 (I think)

So when you look at things you have done and it literally makes you cringe you are on the way to a better heart.

Enjoy the journey friend.

• talesin
    talesin

sonnyboy,

Here's a suggestion that worked for me,,, big time! I had the most lovely shrink the first time out, and I too had a lot of regrets, and she suggested ...

Write a letter to yourself, as if you were talking to a friend. If your friend had done these things, what would you say to him/her? Probably something like "hey, you were only a kid",,, or "you know, we all do things we regret, and you are a good person... forgive yourself". You would comfort that person, not castigate them. Well, write this to yourself, talk to yourself in the same kind fashion that you would your friend .... it's surprising, how hard we are on ourselves, compared to the amount of compassion we would show another.

After I did the exercise, I felt much better, and was able to move on from those past mistakes. I still use it at times, when I know I've screwed up and there's no one to talk to about my negative feelings.

tal

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

The past is history. It doesn't matter any more. I find if I worry too much about the future or regret too much about the past, I don't enjoy what time I have now. Now is more important than all that other stuff. What I would hate to do is spend all this time I have now being miserable about my past/future and look back on it later with even more regret!

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

I believe I'll write an article on regret. Many folks out there seem they can't get through regrets, especially on either becoming a witness or being lost in a world of watchtower regrets.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit