A JW refutation of birthday celebrations

by TheListener 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheListener
    TheListener

I found this while surfing the web. It's from a website called touchstoneforum. It's definitely a pro-jw website. They have some good 607 vs. 587 discussions over there. It's run by a poster named WRENCH. This is two of his posts on the inappropriateness of birthday celebrations (by posting this I'm not agreeing to it, I just thought the board may find it interesting):

I'm sorry this is so lengthy but hey I didn't write it.

I think that one should allow 2 Corinthians 6:14-17 be their guide as to what celebrations they partake of. How does this apply to "birthdays" you will ask? Please not the following:
    In regards to the scriptural references to birthdays, I would say at most, since there are the only two 'clear' references in the scriptures to birthdays, that it puts them in a bad light. I would never conclude from just these two passages that birthdays should not be celebrated, but it does say at least something about them, and that 'something' doesn't appear to be all that favorable.
    Both celebrants were pagan kings, and both birthdays gave way to atrocities. However, that in itself is not conclusive. I feel that there is more that weighs in on the subject.

When Job’s sons “held a banquet at the house of each one on his own day” it should not be supposed that they were celebrating their birthdays. (Job 1:4) “Day” in this verse translates the Hebrew word yohm and refers to a period of time from sunrise to sunset. On the other hand, “birthday” is a compound of the two Hebrew words yohm (day) and hul•le'dheth. The distinction between
    “day” and one’s birthday can be seen in Genesis 40:20, where both
    expressions appear: “Now on the third day it turned out to be Pharaoh’s birthday<LITERALLY, Pharaoh” of (hul•le'dheth) birth the (yohm) day “the .” So to me, it doesn't seem likely that Job 1:4 refers to a birthday, as is unquestionably the case at Genesis 40:20. It would seem that Job’s seven sons held a family gathering (possibly a spring or harvest
    festival) and as the feasting made the week-long circuit, each son hosted the banquet in his own house “on his own day.”

I think it is interesting what is stated by the historian Augustus Neander concerning Christianity in the first three centuries. He writes: “The notion of a birthday festival was far from the ideas of the Christians of this period.” (The History of the Christian Religion and Church, During the Three
    First Centuries, translated by H. J. Rose, 1848, p. 190)

Also worthy of notice is this quote from the New Catholic Encyclopedia: “Origen . . . insists that ‘of all the holy people in the Scriptures, no one is recorded to have kept a feast or held a great banquet on his birthday. It is only sinners (like Pharaoh and Herod) who make great rejoicings over the day on which they were born into
    this world below.’”—The Catholic Encyclopedia, 1913, Vol. X, p. 709.

I think we know whether or not Origen regarded Job son's as celebrating their birthday or not.

Also, concerning the OT Jews: M’Clintock and Strong’s Cyclopaedia (1882, Vol. I, p. 817) says the Jews “regarded birthday celebrations as parts of idolatrous worship . . . , and this probably on account of the idolatrous rites with which they were observed in honor of those who were regarded as the patron gods of the day on which the party was born.”

There is certainly nothing wrong with recognizing one's birthday, but to engage in a 'pagan-type' celebration of one's birthday, in view of the foregoing, would be 'out-of-place' for a Christian as 2 Corinthians 6:14-17 makes clear.

Notice these two references:

“The various customs with which people today celebrate their birthdays have a long history. Their origins lie in the realm of magic and religion. The customs of offering congratulations, presenting gifts and celebrating—complete with lighted candles—in ancient times were meant to protect the birthday celebrant from the demons and to ensure his security for the coming year. . . . Down to the fourth century Christianity rejected the birthday celebration as a pagan custom.”—Schwäbische Zeitung (magazine supplement Zeit und Welt), April 3/4, 1981, p. 4.

So, what would Jesus view of birthday celebrations be in this light?

“The Greeks believed that everyone had a protective spirit or daemon who attended his birth and watched over him in life. This spirit had a mystic relation with the god on whose birthday the individual was born. The Romans also subscribed to this idea. . . . This notion was carried down in human belief and is reflected in the guardian angel, the fairy godmother and the
    patron saint. . . . The custom of lighted candles on the cakes started with the Greeks. . . . Honey cakes round as the moon and lit with tapers were placed on the temple altars of . . . . Birthday candles, in folk belief, are endowed with special magic for granting wishes. . . . Lighted tapers and sacrificial fires have had a special mystic significance ever since man first set up altars to his gods. The birthday candles are thus an honor and tribute to the birthday child and bring good fortune. . . .Birthday greetings and wishes for happiness are an intrinsic part of this holiday. . . . Originally the idea was rooted in magic. . . . Birthday greetings have power for good or ill because one is closer to the spirit world on this day.”—The Lore of Birthdays (New York, 1952), Ralph and Adelin
    Linton, pp. 8, 18-20.

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­______________________________

It has become a matter of discussion as to how one determines if they are obedient to the words as mentioned above at 2 Cor. 6:14-17. The days of the week that are commonly used, the names of the planets and some constellations are all named after false religions gods and godesses. Even our currently used divisions of hours and minutes comes from a Babylonian origination. Some claim that wedding rings are of pagan origin. A recent article about pinatas has also raised the same question about its origins. How should Christians feel about these things? Should they be avoided so as not to "touch" the unclean thing?

One crucial point of difference is this. In so referring to planets or days of the week as they have been named, are we in any way mimicking the actions of some pagan religious event? No, clearly we are not and that is what we want to protect ourselves from. God hates pagan religion. Should we want to imitate a religious rite invented by the Devil, in defiance of true worship, for the sake of our own entertainment? Does one really think Jesus would be found doing such things? Clearly not.

What about wedding rings? Do they decidedly have a pagan origination? One will find that is not an easy thing to determine. For instance, we have the following: “Originally . . . the ring was a fetter, used to bind the captive bride.” (For Richer, for Poorer) “The ring is a relatively modern substitute for the gold coin or other article of value with which a man literally purchased his wife from her father.” (The Jewish Wedding Book) “The wedding ring is supposed to be of Roman origin, and to have sprung from the ancient custom of using rings in making agreements.” (American Cyclopædia) “Various explanations have been given of the connection of the ring with marriage. It would appear that wedding-rings were worn by the Jews prior to Christian times.”—The International Cyclopaedia.

It should be apparent that the precise origin of the wedding ring is uncertain. Some may claim one thing, others may claim another as to it's origin. It really can not be decisively determined.

Due to it's uncertainty of origination, Christians can not categorically refer to it as a mimicking of a false religious rite, and because of that it is left to the individuals to decide if such is appropriate for them as a married couple.

The same is true of the pinata. Whereas even popular opinion may think of it as having pagan religious roots, such is not necessarily the case, for one will soon see upon investigation that the actual root of the pinata is quite elusive with many different theories behind it. Therefore, just as in the case of the wedding ring, this is a matter of conscience for the Christian to decide.

One can draw a parallel to the situation in the first century that Paul addressed. There were some Gentiles who whenever they ate meat, it was part of a religious ceremony to their god. When they became Christian, those who were weak in their conscience would not eat meat because they could not separate the pagan concept from the act. Due to this, Paul stated that Christian should not ruin the conscience of their weaker brothers but should refrain from eating such in their presence so as not to stumble them. But, was the eating of meat categorically forbidden because it had come to possess in the mind of some, a pagan connotation? No, it was not. (1 Cor. chapter 8)

Therefore, because an item or a practice has acquired in the mind of some a pagan religious connection, that does not mean that this was its origination or its intent at inception. Because something has COME TO MEAN such in a person's mind, does not mean that it needs to be viewed that way from that point forward as a pagan religious imitation. If one can not separate the two in his mind, as some of those weaker conscienced Christians in the first century, then they should surely refrain for the sake of their conscience. But, on the other hand, those who are convinced that an item or practice does not have a pagan religious inception, it is their choice as to how to handle it, always considering the conscience of their brothers.

There is no doubt about the origination of the common practices in relation to birthdays, Christmas, Easter, New Year's, Halloween and the like, and due to that, those clearly pagan religious simulations in connection with them should be avoided by Christians.

• VM44
    VM44

Thanks for posting that.

It reads like material published in The Watchtower.

The 607/587 BCE discussions might be interesting. Do you have links to them?

--VM44

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I wrote a similar defense of the WT doctrine when I was 17. It was because a friend of mine (who was a B.A. Christian) invited me to her birthday party and I wanted to explain why I couldn't go. I heard she was almost persuaded by it. Of course, it used all the usual Watchtower logic and arguments. When I began to think more for myself and question what I was taught to believe, I saw right through the reasoning and was a little embarassed that I had written such a thing. I found my own copy of it several months ago, it was an amusing read.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Therefore, because an item or a practice has acquired in the mind of some a pagan religious connection, that does not mean that this was its origination or its intent at inception.

What is more important, the traceable origin of "an item or a practice", or whether or not "in the mind" it has a pagan religious connection?

Because something has COME TO MEAN such in a person's mind, does not mean that it needs to be viewed that way from that point forward as a pagan religious imitation.

Exactly! Because something has COME TO MEAN such in a person's mind (like say some pagans thousands of years ago whose birthday celebrations had a religious significance), does not mean that it needs to be viewed that way from that point forward as a pagan imitation!!!

If one can not separate the two in his mind, as some of those weaker conscienced Christians in the first century, then they should surely refrain for the sake of their conscience.

Sure, if you cannot separate the celebration of some pagan thousands of years ago from your own birthday party in your mind, then that's your thing!

But, on the other hand, those who are convinced that an item or practice does not have a pagan religious inception, it is their choice as to how to handle it, always considering the conscience of their brothers.
    My Revision: "But, on the other hand, those who are convinced that an item or practice does not have a pagan religious origin connotation, it is their choice as how how to handle it!"
  • sinis
  • sinis
    sinis

My god!!!!!!! I have been reading some of the posts from the supporters of 1914 in the above link and it is one big circle jerk!!!! I don't even understand there reasoning in half of the posts. The other half makes no sense. Why do people keep clinging to something that has a basis in pyramidology, etc.???? All I can say is that they are grasping at straws...

• inquirer
    inquirer

I think I would rather TOUCHSTONE PICTURES. A lot more entertaining.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The following is a refutation of the Jehovah's Witness position:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/79690/1.ashx

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The writer of the Jehovah's Witness thesis states that the reference to "day" in Job 1:4 does not mean birthday. I wonder what his position would be on Job's day in chapter 3:1-12. It seems obvious to me that Job is cursing the day he was born and really wishes he had never been born. I fail to see a distinction between "day" in chapter one and "day" in chapter 3. I definitely can see that chapter 3 is speaking of the day of Job's birth. So, why can't chapter one also be speaking of birthdays?

• TheListener
    TheListener

Nice link Kennesson.

I thought everyone who has family or friends that are dubs would like to see this just because it's the exact logic you are gonna run into when talking with a dub - if you do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit