WT Article on Mennonites - Wow... Double Standards

by indoubt 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• indoubt
    indoubt

I usually don't read WT or Awakes, but I stumbled on an article that shows the borg's two-facedness.

The article talks about a group of Mennonites that had doubts about their religion and wanted to study with the JWs. After the first paragraph, I realized that I had felt exactly like those poor Mennonites when I decided to study the JW's history.

Let me explain... I have scanned some parts of the articles:

ONE morning in November 2000, some missionaries of Jehovah’s Witnesses in Bolivia glanced out the window of their small home and saw a group of plainly dressed men and women standing nervously at the gate. When the missionaries opened the gate, the visitors’ first words were, “We want to find the truth from the Bible.” The visitors were Mennonites. The men wore overalls, the women dark aprons, and they spoke among themselves in a German dialect. There was fear in their eyes. They kept looking to see if they had been followed. Nevertheless, even while climbing the steps to enter the house, one of the young men said, “I want to know the people who use God’s name.”

...so, the Mennonites are scared as hell to be found by their church members talking to JWs... Interesting, because I remember having the exact same feeling when I went to Borders and purchased Crisis Of Conscience.

The story contines, and the Mennonites decide to study with the JWs...

A few days later, the church elders came to the home of Johann’s family with an ultimatum for the interested ones: “We heard that Jehovah’s Witnesses visited you. You must forbid them to return, and unless you hand over their literature to be burned, you face expulsion.” They had had just one Bible study with the Witnesses, so this presented a formidable test.

...weird, but I have a feeling of deja vu...

But the best part is yet to come...

“We cannot do as you ask,” replied one of the family heads. “Those people came to teach us the Bible.” How did the elders react? They expelled them for studying the Bible! This was a cruel blow indeed. The cart belonging to the colony cheese factory passed by the home of one family without collecting their milk, denying them their only source of income. One family head was dismissed from his job. Another was turned away from buying supplies at the colony store, and his ten-year-old daughter was expelled from school. Neighbors surrounded one home to take away the wife of one of the young men, asserting that she could not live with her expelled husband. Despite all of this, the families who studied the Bible did not give up their search for the truth.

...how cruel the Mennonites were! But rest assured, the JWs would never do those cruel things to sincere folks who are simply doubting their faith ...

--indoubt

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Well this article certainly does paint a crystal clear picture that they are, without any room for doubt, Hypocrites. I don't think anyone here is going to be surprised. Chalk it up to one more example.

• ezekiel3
  • caligirl
    caligirl

My but the pot sure calls the kettle black in that one! Unbelievable- well, actually completely believable for them. Isn't there a scripture about attempting to remove the straw from someone eles's eye before removing the rafter from your own?

• Ticker
    Ticker

Oh Goody. From one high control cult to the next. I think the witnesses might be even worse and these menonites are gonna get a feeling of deja vu alright when they attempt to question any witness doctrine using the bible. Two faced hypocrites but what else do we expect from the Watchtower cult.

Ticker

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I glanced at that article as well and I also was struck with the similarities to the jw's...hypocrites!

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

I feel sorry for those Mennonites..but facts are facts.....In the 15th century a catholic brother, calmly called a Monk, took God's name, "ha-A-don," from Hebew scriptures Malachi, ( The Interlinear Bible Hebrew-Greek-English) and put Latin letters and added a few valves and called it jehovah.

Russell took that and called it Jehovah. So the Mennonites and Watchtower is wrong. The Watchtower didn't come up with it. The Catholic Church did.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

You know, people just amaze me. They will spew out some warped logic or a story like that and not even blink. Is sort of scarey how blind they can be.

A guy who was in the Assembly of God denomination once told me that while they don't forbid drinking they frown on it because they don't like supporting the alcohol industry which they feel is not all that savory. Okay, I can see that I guess, then he proceeds to say, thank God for non-alcoholic beer, I really missed the taste. I sort of looked at him and said, er, you do realize that the same companies that produce regular beer produce the non-alcoholic version right? Its not Coke or Pepsi that makes Sharps and O'Douls and the guy just looks at me like I hit him over the head with a ball bat. I'm thinking to myself, how in the hell did you not make this conncetion, amazing.

• bennyk
    bennyk

Jesus expressed himself rather strongly regarding hypocrites.... Maybe I was a Mennonite all those years; after all, I was expelled for studying the Bible(!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit