• Splash
    Splash

ANOTHER new picture / avatar DD?

You have far too much time on your hands 

• Splash
    Splash

@StarTrekAngel

The overlap definition from the WT is in two parts:
    1. Those who were baptised and anointed, and who's lives intersected with the 1914 date.
    2. Those who were baptised and anointed, and who's lives intersected with the earlier group.

If you were born in the 1830's, baptised and anointed, and lived to see 1914 (say, 80ish years old) you are in the first group.
    If you were born in 1890's, baptised and anointed before 1914 and lived to see the 1970's (80ish years old) you are in the first group.

Therefore the first group extends from the 1830's to the 1970's - 140 years.
    This is only the first half of the 'overlap'.

If you were born in the 1950's, baptised and anointed before all of group one died out in the 1970's and lived to see the 2030's (80ish years old), you are one of the overlappers.

Therefore the entire overlapping generation potentially extends from the 1830's to the 2030's - 200 years.
    A 200 year generation.
    Let's see what Jesus was recorded as saying:
    Matthew 24:34 "Truly I say to you that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things happen."

So the quotes from various scriptures enlarging on 'generation' are not really to do with assigning a specific amount of time, but simply show the absurdity of claiming three overlapping life spans totalling 200 years is what Jesus 'evidently meant'.
  • StarTrekAngel
    StarTrekAngel
    My point exactly... from a sensible point of view the time can not be stretched as they claim
  • DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

Great point, you two. The really important thing to remember is that the exact time length of a generation can vary. Even so, the WTBTS used very specific lengths for a generation and even said what century would be that generations last in "Satan's" system. 

Nothing they prophesied ever came true. 

DD

• StrongHaiku
    StrongHaiku
    @Splash, thank you so much for your clear explanation.  I think I finally get it and how absolutely convoluted it is.  Every time I heard the "overlapping generation" explanation it reminded me of the Marx Brother's "Contract Scene" from "A Night at the Opera" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u8AgUXPpLM).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit