Ever got ripped off?

by greendawn 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

Can you recall any instances where you got ripped by someone at a shop, restaurant, car mechanic, hotel or whatever?

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Had a few attempts...BTW, if you're getting brakes done...and it includes turning the rotors, and they ask if you want the bearings repacked (costs extra), don't do it, here's why.

If you "turn" the rotors...you HAVE TO repack the bearings.

Don't do the 50 point stuff on your car with oil changes...learn to check your fluids yourself. Think about it, a $6.00/hr guy is doing it in 5 minutes, and they charge you ten bucks!

• thom
    thom

wanderlustguy, not on my car. The rotors come right off after you take the calipers off. Just slide it off the studs. Never touch the bearings.
    I just do the brakes myself anyway. Way cheaper.

• Legolas
    Legolas

How about by a 'brother'...............we did big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

In 1983 I bought my first car all by myself had a 72 VW Super Bug. A year later, I took it to VW dealership for a tuneup/oil change and general check up. They told me that there was $1,400 worth of stuff that HAD to be done to the car or it was going to die! Parts were missing from the engine, blah blah scare scare blah. I had paid $1,800 for it.

It had good compression when I took it in to have it checked out before I bought it, and after VW dealership got done with it, I had NO power. I couldnt' go up some hills even. Kev, an former VW owner looked at it, and the headbolts had been loosened! One was only hand tight.

I tried to go back on the VW dealer with my previous checkup info, etc., and they told me the guys computer lied! I wanted to sue them but I didn't have the courage nor the impetus. Kev fixed the problems for me and there were no "necessary" parts missing! What that dealership did not find was the frontend work that needed done, that Kev found.

The dealership went out of business a couple years later after several lawsuits on their service department over the same issues.

Grrrr. Still pisses me off when I think of it.

I haven't been ripped of since at least where cars are concerned.

Same car, a different instance, I went to buy tires. I got prices from the guy for retreads and for new. I told him to put the retreads on. I KNOW I said "retreads". Well, he "misunderstood" and put on the new tires costing $135 more - that I could not afford. I told him I did not want the new tires, I wanted the retreads. "Gosh, I already put the new tires on!" "Sorry, but I'm not buying them because they are not the tires I asked for!". He changed them.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    The rotors come right off after you take the calipers off.

Oh yea, you;re right about that on the newer ones...I just had mine put in but it's a 1994, one piece hub/rotor. I decided to switch to crossdrilled anyway...so more $$$.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone
    How about by a 'brother'...............we did big time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are, imho, the absolute worst. We have our own business, and I do the books... The 'brothers' are just about the only ones who do NOT PAY!!!! It drives me crazy. We do have a few customers, 'in the truth', who pay, but they are BY FAR the exceptions to the rule. Why my husband continues to do jobs for these people is beyond me.

OK, I'm starting to fume ......

GGG

• not the administrator
    not the administrator

i spent $2700 on 5 oz of crushed aspirin once.

• hurt dave
    hurt dave

all the flippin time

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

i spent $2700 on 5 oz of crushed aspirin once

Boy, talk about an expensive habit!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit