How do you deal with "Anxiety"

by ScoobySnax 16 Replies latest jw friends

• thom
    thom

Scooby, I usually do not have problems with anxiety but a few years ago (in Jan 2003), it put me in the hospital. I thought I was having a heart attack and my wife took to me to the ER. After 1 1/2 days of tests and MRIs and stuff, I was told I'm as healthy as I could possibly wish for. Then they told me that I should see a therapist to deal with it.
    Well, that was the only time I had it that bad (someone pushed me over the edge), and I never saw a therapist or did anything about it and I don't seem to have trouble with it anymore. But I do know that for many people it can get worse and worse and cause physical damage to your body. Over time from what I understand, it can really degrade you physically and cause problems as you get older. I'm not much of one for therapy, but as some have suggested here it might not hurt to at least go to someone and chat about it just to learn more.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I'm sorry to hear this Scott. I suffered from anxiety attacks for several years before finally going into therapy. I too would be just fine when for no apparent reason my hands would shake, my stomach did flip flops and I often began hyperventilating. I had this overpowering urge to just hide somewhere. It took a couple of years before I found someone who knew what they were doing, but in therapy I discovered the reason for the anxiety attacks. After that, they stopped as if someone had flipped a light switch from on to off.

Now I'm not about to suggest this is the case for everyone, but it was in my case. There was a reason, a very old reason, that once I faced it dissolved.

In your case Scott I would recommend getting a good physical and rule out any physical cause. With your medical background, I'm sure you know more about the physical aspects than a layman such as I, but still it might be wise to rule out the impossible before investigating other possibilities.

The only other thing I would recommend at this stage is to begin a journal. Literally write down the day and time each time you feel this anxiety. Write down how long it lasts and what the physical symtpoms are. Finally, and this might be tricky, try to write down what you were doing, thinking, reading, eating, drinking or looking at just before the anxiety attack came on. If there is a psychological cause this last point might prove to be very revealing and lead you toward resolving the problem.

Chris

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Like I said, I think its a funny thing. I can be fine for days, and then wham it hits me, it is literally breath taking in how it makes you feel, I don't think unless you've felt it, you know quite how it feels. I had a really bad run in 1999, everything seemed to go wrong in my life, I thought I was coping, until I got that first whammy. It seemed like too much had built up for too long without me realising.

Anyway, Its good to know that I'm not alone, and if anyone has felt like I have sometimes, know that you're not alone.

• ScoobySnax
    ScoobySnax

Thanks Chris. You truly are a special bloke.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Hey scooby! Yes, I have it alot! I could be sitting just watching tv, and have a panic attack. My heart races so fast, I feel like Im having a heart attack! The last one, my pulse went up to about 225 bpm! But its true, they dont last long, and if you take very deep breaths in and out, it will go away. Go to the doctor! Im on paxil, which helps keep them under control. But zanax also takes them away when your nerves are on edge. It really is scary. My mom has them so bad, sometimes she has to leave the store, with her cart full of grocerys sitting in the middle of the isle! It also is hereditary, so check into that.

• greendawn
    greendawn

I experienced such attacks a couple of years ago but they were due to low blood sugar, after drinking fruit juice or eating honey they quickly vanished. It was all down to sugar metabolism. I was adjusting to a new climate at the time.

• burnieschick
    burnieschick

Hi Scobby,

I suffer from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) which was originally brought on by stress. It's one of those things that once you get it, it's there for good. An attack starts off with that pleasant "bufferflies in the stomach" feeling but rapidly turns into waves of painful cramps, and the need to run to the loo. For some people it's a diet related thing, especially too many dairy products.

I find that deep breaths help, especially when I break out in a sudden sweat. It can start for no apparent reason whatsoever, even if I don't feel stressed about anything. Even the antisipation of a forthcoming event (just a simple thought of it flashing through my mind) can set it off. I take peppermint based tablets to ease the spasms in my bowels and they seem to work if taken soon enough. I suffered for a long time before I went to a doctor, and that was only after I started bursting into tears for no reason at work and subsequently lost my job.

My husband has recently started to suffer from it too but, far more severely than me. As a result of him delaying a trip to the doctor, I had to rush him to A & E a few weeks ago because he couldn't even stand up due to the pain. He's the kind of bloke who never complains about things and doesn't see the point in going to the doctor, so I knew it was serious. He was given strong pain killers and anti-spasmodic tablets which worked extremely quickly and was told he had IBS. I've noticed a patern to his attacks and again, it's at times of stress.

It may be worth you keeping a diary of the attacks and seeing if you can see a patern. Also, note what foods you eat, as it may be a diet related problem. You may like to try sucking on peppermint sweets when you feel an attack start, as this will not only give you something else to concentrate on, but may also help calm your stomach. I hope this helps.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit