DNR - any experiences?

by talesin 11 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Scully
    Scully

Your best bet is to get what is known as a Living Will. This is a legal document that details your treatment wishes in the event that you are incapacitated and are unable to make your wishes known to family and health care providers at the time. It is a bit more complex than a Power of Attorney for Health Care (in which case you designate someone to authorize treatment on your behalf, and assumes that this person knows you well enough to do what you would want done).

You can cover things such as the extent of the treatment you wish to have (or not have as the case may be). You can get into things like whether you want to be intubated or be on a ventilator, whether you want CPR performed in the event of cardiac arrest. Whether you wish to have pain controlled or other comfort measures. Whether you want tube feedings or IV fluids. Whether you want your life to be maintained until certain friends or family members can be present to say their goodbyes.

In the hospital setting, I have never seen "DNR" to mean that water is withheld from a patient. What it means is that the person does not wish to have CPR, intubation or assisted ventilation in the event of respiratory and/or cardiac arrest.

• sharona12
    sharona12

I am an RN in a critical care unit. We frequently have patients with DNR orders. When family members oppose the patient's DNR orders some MD's will not honor the DNR order and will defer the decision making to the family members to avoid law suits. Some MD's will fight tooth and nail to honor their patient's wishes, regardless of what the family wants.

I, personally, have NEVER seen or heard of ANY patient being denied pain medicine if the are dying or in severe pain. To do so is evil and is considered a form of malpractice. I have written Dr's up for not ordering ENOUGH pain medicine and have NOT had that kind of problem with those DR's again. BTW, I am STILL employed at the same facility even though I have written MD's up. Most hospitals truly want their patients to receive the best care that can possibly be provided and want to know when patients are not being treated the right way.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit