My dad wants to put my name on his Blood card

by lv4fer 6 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lv4fer
    lv4fer

My dad called me up yeterday to ask if he could put me on his blood card. This is bizarre. He just recently moved here and doesn't know very many people. I was puzzeled. I thought you only put witnesses on that. I guess you need two names on it and he only knows one other person at his hall. I think he just wanted to know how I feel. I told him if something happened to him I would back him up even though I don't believe in it. I know that is what he wants. I'm wondering though if push came to shove would I. He is almost 82. It is probably a mute point.

• Forscher
    Forscher

<div>It depends on what capacity he wants you named on his card. My father-in-law has his non-Dub son listed on his card as his power of attorney in the event of his incapacitation (the copies of my inlaw's cards sent to my wife appear to be durable polwer of attorneys in a shortened form as well). And My father-in-law is an elder! So if he wants you in that capicity and your are willing to respect his whishes as to treatment, then apparently is no problem. What you will have to decide is whether you are willing to act in that capacity or not.
    <br></br><br></br>I know that the WTBTS used to insist that JW's be used as witnesses to the signature on the old blood cards, but there is no reason why any other person can't be used in that capacity. The blood card is, after all, a legal document and any person of reasonable capacity can witness a signature.
    <br></br><br></br>So, find out in what capacity he wants you named on the card and do as you will.</div>

• greendawn
    greendawn

I think if you don't believe in the no blood doctrine you shouldn't sign in case anything happens later and you feel guilty about it. The blood ban is of course a deadly nonsense that is being gradually phased out, in Bulgaria they (the GB) already accepted not to censor the jws there for refusing blood, and I can't see why anyone should sheepishly obey them on this doctrine.

• jgnat
    jgnat

As forscher has already said so well, you can be a witness to your dad's blood card. I see some advantages having your name on the card. You could be there to assist with medical decisions, and the local JW's would not be able to shut you out.

He's 82. If he wanted to drink a gallon of whiskey and ten cigars a day, would you stop him? Honor his wishes.

• thom
    thom

My grandmother is 83 and a JW. I would honor her wishes if there was an issue about blood for her. If I could not honor them, I would let her know now so she could find someone else to do it. I wouldn't use the opportunity to impose my beliefs on her just as I wouldn't want her imposing her's on me.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I thought you only put witnesses on that. I guess you need two names on it and he only knows one other person at his hall.

Appropriately, it should be only JWs that would sign it. Who else would consider the ramifications otherwise?

Two names are needed (or were when I was a JW) and we were advised to bring it to the KH and have elders sign it back then. Apparently he doesn't attend meetings very often, or he would have had this all taken care of by now.

Have you tried asking him about this? You could always tell him that you are uncomfortable with this "no-blood" stand, and that you might not honor it in an emergency. Let him then make the decision!

Annie

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

is it as a witness or as a contact

if its as a witness you need to be with the other witness to witness him signing it...otherwise it is invalid as a legal document

the witnesses should be 2 people who will definately back his decision in an emergency when he is unable to speak for himself

i cant believe none of the elders esp his book study conducter have been through it with him and offered to act as witnesses

oh what am i saying of course i believe it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit