Witnesses and their "specialized knowledge"

by seattleniceguy 21 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Witnesses believe they have special knowledge of an entire realm of which most humans are utterly ignorant. Angelic battles are being waged all around as universal court cases proceed. All of this is happening, they believe, totally unnoticed by everyone else, except perhaps apostates and demons, who see it but for some reason remain defiant in the face of their approaching doom.

It can be a giddy feeling to believe you know what no one else knows, especially when they mock your beliefs as nonsense. You simply remark with a seen-it-all-before sigh that they will find out for themselves soon enough, and move on.

I remember a co-worker asking me one day what made me so sure I had the truth. "Evan," I said, "the Truth is so incredible that once you've seen it, you can never go back. It's so different from anything you can imagine, it's a completely new paradigm. When you've seen it, you'll know it." Did I score a point or two for drama? Maybe. A bit on the Matrix side? Perhaps. But I think most serious Witnesses believe something like this.

As I was driving home from picking up my take-out lunch today, it struck me with a sort of morbid irony, if I may turn a phrase, that for all this specialized knowledge Witnesses imagine having, they actually know almost nothing about anything.

Let's think about it:

• The Bible
      We might start where the Witnesses are likely to know the most. Give them the home field advantage, so to speak. As it turns out, JWs actually know almost nothing about the Bible. Even the most knowledgeable ones can usually only use the set of WT-approved scriptures that have been drilled into them for decades. Precious few have any knowledge of the actual history surrounding the Bible, how it was compiled, what competing manuscripts were available and rejected from the cannon, why that happened, what we do and do not know based on archeology, and so on.
    • Their Mythology
      I call it mythology, rather than doctrine, because that's what it is. I'm not talking about what they say about the soul or the Trinity. I'm talking about this supposedly breathtaking view of world events unfolding around us - the UN as eighth world power, the demons lurking around every corner, the great tribulation, the lightning bolts from heaven, the abyss, the final test, etc, etc. The fact of the matter is that this rich mythology, if written concisely, would fit on the inside of a crackerjack box. And that is literally all there is to know about that.

For the purposes of comparison, consider Star Trek mythology, which is incredibly robust. There are people who know the specs to every part of the Starship Enterprise, and can explain how all the devices onboard work! Where the Witnesses have a handful of stories and a general timeline with five or six events on it stretching over the next thousand years, the Trekkies have hundreds of hours and pages of actual mythological detail, and they know it. The Trekkies put the Witnesses to shame when it comes to being knowledgeable about one's mythology.
    • The Natural World
      Anyone who was raised a Witness and subsequently began to study science on his or her own knows that the JW awareness of the natural world is horribly, painfully tiny - and inaccurate at that. And to top it off, they often comment with an air of tired indifference on how scientists are just making stuff up as they go along to fit their agendas, to make money, or to harm the poor Witnesses. It has been one of the most humbling experiences of my life to find out how much actual scientific knowledge there is out there for the taking.

I'm constantly amazed at how much I've learned in the past few years, and how utterly little I knew before I left the organization. It is literally a puddle to the ocean.

What about you? Is there some field that you thought you knew everything about, but were astounded to learn the true depth of knowledge once you left the organization?

SNG

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

since leaving........ im amazed at how much i've discovered about the history of monothesial (ONE GOD) entities.

so much of the jewish faith comes from more ancient beliefs..

makes you wonder whats what!

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

SNG -

I actually did know a lot of Bible history and passages. Not just by rote, but really knew them. But only according from the tainted NWT and it's implanted doctrine. I have since found out I knew little about what the Bible really says. I knew even less about what the WTS had hidden.

I was also surprised to find out that not all religious people and pastors are a bunch of uneducated morons. They actually know the Bible and read it too - with a deeper perspective than I ever did.

Jeff

• sir82
    sir82

How about...

History

I.e., According to the JW world view,

--There have been exactly 7 "world powers" since the dawn of time

--The world was a rosy virtual panacea up to the outbreak of World War I, everyone was an optimist and there was no threat of anything anywhere

--1st century Christians regularly went door-to-door talking about "the kingdom", used Jehovah's name freely, and met regularly in Kingdom-Hall like settings for "meetings"

-- Disease, food shortage, earthquakes were far more lethal and devastating since 1914 than at any other time in history, as well as the "signs of the last days" at 2 Timothy 3.

And many others. All of course quite demonstrably false.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

nice one SNG. that one's going in my bookmarks along with your DA letter.

The Trekkies put the Witnesses to shame when it comes to being knowledgeable about one's mythology.

i was always being shut down my "mature ones" as a kid for trying to get more out of the mythology than was acknowledged. like, for example: how does the ethereal holy spirit interact with the physical brains of the F & DS? and how does that differ from the inspiration that the bible writers had? 700 years into the new system, would the WT pubs be considered their own canon?

What about you? Is there some field that you thought you knew everything about, but were astounded to learn the true depth of knowledge once you left the organization?

honestly? pretty much everything. but the secular historicity of the bible was a big one too, along with biology, of course. oh oh, and archaeology as a branch of anthropology? holy crap! it's huge! i'm 28 and i'm never gonna get through it all. no more repetition for emphasis! LOL!

TS

• Daunt
    Daunt

I always knew that there was something to be fearful of. My parents and the meetings drilled in me the constant danger that I face from demons and evil people trying to take my life. I was never all that strong of a witness but that stayed with me. I was terrified of school and the meetings because i absolutely knew that somebody was out to get me. Learning the truth about the truth litterally pushed me into seeing the world for what it is. And seriously, I haven't been afraid of mystical creatures and whatnot for years. It's a huge relief because litterally there has not been one instance in my life where some demonic presence directly influenced my life. Acknowledging this just made all the little demons dissappear. "Knowing" you are right because you want it to be right is my real fear now.

• chrissy
    chrissy
    Evan," I said, "the Truth is so incredible that once you've seen it, you can never go back. It's so different from anything you can imagine, it's a completely new paradigm. When you've seen it, you'll know it."

Lol. I know that's true...very funny! (I'd like to hear a reenactment of that one. :)

I wouldn’t say there was a particular field of knowledge I went as far as deeming myself an expert in, which is good, I suppose, because perhaps that made learning that the ‘truth wasn’t the truth’ slightly less catastrophic, in that, I was willing to accept I did'nt know it all. But I certainly held the same characteristically witness mental-disposition of… “Seen it all before…they will find out soon enough.” wa-haha. (I guess that’s the ill standard.)

But I do enjoy interacting with people and I think before, I unknowingly held these huge misconceptions about people and their motives. Like, if someone were to extend themselves to me in some form, I ‘d automatically assume it was secretly for their own pagan agenda. Even if they appeared on all outwardly accounts to be genuine, accessorized with smiles and a sincere attitude, I'd cast it off as superficial, believing deep down they were sure to be completely evil and if I stuck around long enough I would certainly find out, or worse. And naturally so, right, their hearts being so wicked and totally influenced by the satanic one himself. It was all quite a hindrance in creating any kind of personal relationship, to say the least.

So now that I’ve been 'in the world' some time, I've concluded the majority of people are generally good-hearted and really just trying to find their own way in this sometimes confusing place. I take advantage of new acquaintances as they cross my path and found it's a wonderful thing; the act of really getting to know another human being, free of the old fantastic stereotypes held of anyone non-conforming to the ways of the wts and it's group-think mindgaurds.

Chrissy

• chrissy
    chrissy

oh my... i really need to get my sizing under control. sorry about that.

• kazar
    kazar

SNG, you summed it up in a nutshell, perfectly. That was exactly how I felt. However, I read much more of worldly information than I ever did of the WT and Awakes, so consequently, I did know a lot about the human psyche, evolution and the universe, even getting into quantum physics. Needless to say, these topic brought me into complete conflict with my beliefs. I don't know how I did it but I believed all these things and the WTS' teachings at the same time. What a juggling act! The only beliefs of mine that have survived are the worldly ones of science. I have become a good artist, though. Something I couldn't do when I was a JW, because it took time away from Jehovah, it was from demons...ad nauseum. Thanks for posting this. I needed to get this off my chest.

• Carmel
    Carmel

The most knowlegable people I have ever met concerning the bible weren't even christians. While living in Israel, I became friends with a former Muslim who not only had the Koran memorized but the bible and other relgious texts as well. He could quote you verbatum for hours from several religious texts, correlative passages, thematic strains, on and on. Ever met a witless that could quote more than a dozen verses? Come to think of it, one of my daughter-in-laws who is Sihk, knows the bible better than any christian I've known.

carmel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit