Brutality of the bird kingdom - cest la vie.

by Crumpet 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I was busy typing away here in my conservatory when my next door neighbours leaned over the fence calling my name. They asked if I could see a budgie in my garden, so i tiptoed barefoot up the lawn and there pecking away at the grass and fallen apples was a pudgey budgie grey and white. I saw the same one a month ago fly over our garden which was odd. Anyway there we were debating on what we should do and worrying one of the local cats would get itowhen it flew onto my steamer chair. I turned to talk to my neighbours and in the next moment we heard a distressed squawk and a huge bird of prey flew off with the budgie into the high trees in the next garden. What idiot let their pet out? All that can be seen now are lots of little grey and white feathers fluttering to the ground from fifty feet up in the trees. Poor little thing - I can only hope the lack of sound afterwards meant the little bird died quickly. Its amazing because we never get birds of prey in the gardens. I'm kicking myself - if only I had looked up I'd have seen the stalking bird hovering high above and maybe could have save pudgey budgie who is no more.

But its life, I guess. Anyone else got experiences of pets being lost to other animals or pets taking other animals?

• damselfly
    damselfly

We've got eagles in the area that are nortorious for making off with both kittens and full grown cats. I was always nervous letting my kitties out to play during the peak eagle season.

Damselfly

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

Did you see the news story where mice are eating infant albatross alive? 'Tis life.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Yes I read that story classicist - don;t those pesky rodents know how unlucky it is to kill an albatross. i do think at times humans should take things in hand and cull certain predators to protect the finer species.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Well my naughty kitty cat ate my daughter's Chinese fighter fish a few months ago. She found the half-eaten fish on her bedroom floor one day and was very upset. Does that count?

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

wow crumpet, that whole post was in a different language.

We have tons of Birds of Prey here, one time on the intersate, a hawk swooped down after a snake, and hit my windshield with it.

• Confession
    Confession

What's a budgie?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

For confession: http://animals.timduru.org/dirlist/bird/DKMMNature-Bird-Parrot-Budgerigar.gif

Hope the link works - dunno how to do pictures straight into posts!

Everybody gives magpies a bad press in the UK but I now think crows are worse. Last year around 10 crows came and attacked a pair of nesting magpies outside my house, the baby got knocked out of the nest. It survived the fall but it wasn't old enough to fly and nobody could get near because the parents carried on protecting it. Sadly it didn't survive.

One of my cats tried to bring a live sparrow in the house last week and I felt awful because I couldn't get near him to set it free. I had to leave him to kill it to keep its suffering to a minimum. (He doesn't play with birds, he catches them to eat, which makes me feel slightly better) I don't like to put a collar on him because there are total sickos round here who like to hang cats from gateposts.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

yes, same here.

one of the most dangerous species of predator, the human, kills blindly for sport around where i live all the time. it's almost a pest, but certainly an invasive species that needs to be controlled!

TS

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Richie what do you mean?

I may not do latin, but that was english was it not? or was it just my choice of words? I was even sober at that point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit