How the Watchtower Perverts Compassion

by metatron 35 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

This what Jesus said about mercy (Matt. 6:2 - 4)

"Hence when you go making gifts of mercy, do not blow a trumpet ahead of you, just as

the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be glorified by

men ... But you, when making gifts of mercy, do not let your left hand know what your

right hand is doing that your gifts of mercy may be in secret; then your Father who is

looking on in secret will repay you".

However, in contrast, this is what the Watchtower does. They take a single

limited example of mercy displayed by one Witness and 'herald it forth' in

26 million issues to tell everyone how good they are. The Aug 15 issue (pg 29)

tells about a missionary named Sonia who took care of a Witness sister as she

died of AIDS. I applaud this selfless act - but am disgusted by the evident

purpose of its publication!

Do any of you really believe that the Watchtower will now support any sort

of organized charity to help suffering people? or even its own members?

Will they smile approvingly if someone donates to Habitat for Humanity?

Care? Unicef? Anything other than their own coffers?

What will they say about nuns who volunteer to care for the dying?

How will they judge the agnostics who work in the Peace Corps?

Are such ones considered 'dupes of Satan'?

Isn't it evident that the purpose of any 'trumpeted' act of Witness mercy is

to avoid charity? So that they can say "Look what we did! You critics

can rest now, we've just shown how kind we are - as published in

our own publications!".

Still having doubts about what I'm saying? Then take as evidence the latest

Circuit Overseer talk, given to congregations in the US (on Sunday) in

which he condemns religions that cover up child molesters! Hello?

Do you really think a single shred of decency exists in the Watchtower's

leadership that would make them ashamed to point out these ugly problems

in the Catholic church? That someone might have a few working neurons

- and the minimum of a functioning conscience to say "Hey, waitaminute...

Here's one last piece of evidence. In this very Watchtower (pg30) it repeats the

60 year old story about how President DeGaulle's daughter praised the

Witnesses. Is this the best they can do? Are they just lazy? Or is it possible

they have simply run out of quotes by anybody to say how nice Witneeses are

despite the image of 'love' and 'charity' that they so desperately want the

public to accept?

metatron (Jesus was right!)

• vitty
    vitty

The witness gifts of mercy are........wait for it...........field service. Now I know some enjoyed it but for the majority they hated every second, so why did they do it, even more than was required = 10 hours) Because it salved thier conscience, they had done their hour or bit for humanity.

Most JWs know they should be doing charitable works, and some do.

And as for the trumpet blasting, how much more in your face can you get with car loads of Jws swarming on a territory. Saying "here we are, while your all in bed tut tut, look how dedicated and christian we all are "

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

When I was a JW kid, some school friends and I wanted to get together every Saturday afternoon to visit the elderly in the community nursing home.......I was told I couldn't because any organized form of charity was setting itself up in place of God's Kingdom (which was gonna solve everyone's problems any day now).......So we needed to devote every spare moment to telling people about that KingdomGot the same old line that this was showing true compassion and charity. Didn't buy it for a second, but there was nothing I could do about itI couldn't understand why it was ok for my mom to take me on visits there but not for me and my friends to do it.......Well it was because we were ORGANIZING.

~Merry

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I remember a sister who got in a total huff because some of the witness kids were buying red noses for a national charity we have here called Comic Relief. Unbelieveable!

• blondie
    blondie
    The Aug 15 issue (pg 29)

tells about a missionary named Sonia who took care of a Witness sister as she

died of AIDS. I applaud this selfless act - but am disgusted by the evident

purpose of its publication!

AIDS policies in the WTS

g94 3/22 Helping Those With AIDS/AIDS Victims Can Also Help

The prudent AIDS sufferer realizes that others are sensitive about this disease. Therefore, out of respect for the feelings of those who want to be of assistance, it would be better for the AIDS victim not to initiate public displays of affection such as hugging and kissing. Even if there is little or no possibility that such gestures could communicate the disease, this restraint will show that the victim is considerate of others, thus engendering similar consideration in return.

Realizing that many have fears of the unknown, the person with AIDS should not be quick to take offense if he or she is not invited to private homes right away or if it seems that a parent restricts a child from being in close contact with him or her. And if one of the Congregation Book Studies is held at the Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, it may be wise for one with AIDS to choose to attend there, rather than in a private home, unless that one has discussed the situation with the householder.

AIDS carriers should also exercise cautious concern for others when, for example, they have an active productive cough and are known to have tuberculosis. They would then want to apply community health guidelines regarding this condition as respects isolation procedures.

Another situation in which an innocent person could become infected is by marrying someone who is unknowingly harboring the AIDS virus. The need for caution in such circumstances may be particularly necessary if one or both of the intended marriage partners had been promiscuous or had used needles to abuse drugs prior to coming to an accurate knowledge of God’s Word. Since there is a growing number of people who have asymptomatic HIV infection (that is, no outward symptoms as yet), it would not be improper for an individual or for caring parents to request an AIDS blood test of the prospective mate prior to engagement or marriage. Because of the devastating, fatal nature of this disease, a potential marriage partner should not take offense if that request is made.

If the test proves to be positive, it would be inappropriate for the infected party to pressure the intended mate to continue the courtship or engagement if the prospective mate now wishes to end the relationship. And it would be wise for anyone who previously lived a high-risk life-style, was promiscuous or used drugs intravenously, to choose voluntarily to be tested before beginning a courtship. In this way, hurt feelings could be avoided.

Thus, as Christians we want to act with compassion and not shun people who have AIDS, recognizing, however, that individual feelings may vary on this sensitive subject. (Galatians 6:5) With a disease such as AIDS, not everything is known, so there may be some hesitation on the part of many in dealing with the issues involved. A balanced view of the matter would be to continue to welcome AIDS victims into the Christian congregation and to show love and warmth to them, while at the same time taking reasonable precautions to protect ourselves and our families from the disease.

[Footnotes]

What should a person who knows he or she has AIDS do when he or she wants to become one of Jehovah’s Witnesses and get baptized? Out of respect for the feelings of others, it may be wise for them to request a private baptism, although there is no evidence to suggest that AIDS has been transmitted in swimming pools. While many first-century Christians were baptized at large public gatherings, others were baptized in more private settings because of varying circumstances. (Acts 2:38-41; 8:34-38; 9:17, 18) Another alternative would be for the candidate with AIDS to be baptized last.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Lordy, I would have gladly contributed to a real charity if I had just not have had to go door to door. I remember bible studies quiting just because that was required.

Witnesses are terrible about helping their community, they do absolutely nothing of benefit. Now I enjoyed the times I've helped charities with money, rather than turning them away because they were of the world.

Balsam

• Scully
    Scully
    Still having doubts about what I'm saying? Then take as evidence the latest Circuit Overseer talk, given to congregations in the US (on Sunday) in which he condemns religions that cover up child molesters! Hello? Do you really think a single shred of decency exists in the Watchtower's leadership that would make them ashamed to point out these ugly problems in the Catholic church? That someone might have a few working neurons - and the minimum of a functioning conscience to say "Hey, waitaminute...

What bothers me most about this example is how the WTS places the blame on the other religions as being the reason why children are being molested within their ranks, and claims that this behaviour proves that these religions are not approved by God.

Yet, when it comes to the WTS's own problem with child molesters within the JWs, they now have the audacity to glom on to the most recent ruling (Berry) that clears the elders of liability for not reporting known cases to the authorities.

Rbi8 Matthew 7:1-5 ***

7 "Stop judging that YOU may not be judged; 2 for with what judgment YOU are judging, YOU will be judged; and with the measure that YOU are measuring out, they will measure out to YOU. 3 Why, then, do you look at the straw in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the rafter in your own eye? 4 Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Allow me to extract the straw from your eye’; when, look! a rafter is in your own eye? 5 Hypocrite! First extract the rafter from your own eye, and then you will see clearly how to extract the straw from your brother’s eye.

• Mary
    Mary
    The prudent AIDS sufferer realizes that others are sensitive about this disease. Therefore, out of respect for the feelings of those who want to be of assistance, it would be better for the AIDS victim not to initiate public displays of affection such as hugging and kissing. Even if there is little or no possibility that such gestures could communicate the disease, this restraint will show that the victim is considerate of others, thus engendering similar consideration in return.

Princess Diana shaking hands with an AIDS patient accomplished more with this one act than the WTS has in 130 of their "charity".

• Dragonlady76
    Dragonlady76

I always wanted to do some volunteer work as a kid, but was told not to mix with worldly people. Then whenever i strted working I did my part by giving to charity.

My mom lost her eyesight about 10 years ago, a complication from diabetes. My grandparents raised me and are JW's, Now who helped my mom? was it a dub?....a family member?... No, It was the United Way and several other charity groups for the blind came to my mothers aid. I always remind my folks now how important it is to give to charity, and ask them when was the last time the society contributed to charity or did volunteer work.

DL76

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Metatron:

You are so right about everything you say. They have no real compassion and no real charitable works.

Going out in service is supposed to cover all bases with them. It is a white-wash for anything bad you may perceive about them. For instance, let's say brother so-and-so has a glaring fault, some will say: "well, he is always out in service..." So you see, this covers a multitude of sins and in their eyes exempts them from other humane obligations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit