What did JW teaching do to your view of God?

by thom 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

thom,

I thought very much like you do at one time. I was trying SO hard to figure out why this god, who claims to be all about love and mercy (*cough* bullsh!t *cough*) could commit so many terrorist acts in order to make his 'beloved' creations fall in line. The ones that really get me are Sodom and Gomorrah and the angel of death/first born thing. The flood is a different story altogether. Tell me, anyone who still believes in this terrorist, does this make ANY sense? Do you really think that this beast is looking out for your best interests?

I've since concluded that God most likely does not exist, and if he does, he's a hypocritical fruitcake who does not deserve the worship of ANYONE. The Bible is one contradiction after another. I'd love to find proof of some benevolent being who's going to assure us an afterlife, which is really the basis of Christianity, but I refuse to follow the horrible creature depicted in the Judeo/Christian scriptures. It's absolutely awful.

Speaking of this god's terrorist acts, WHY were they necessary? If we're supposed to believe solely on faith, why try to "scare" us into following him? Wouldn't that defeat the whole 'faith' concept?

I think the fear concept was introduced by the author(s) as a means of control, and it worked. "Kiss my ass or DIE!"

What a loving message. I pity those who still fall for it.

• Golf
    Golf

As a child I believed in a Creator and still do. The witness program had no affect on my belief in a Creator.

My question is, 'is it really about us?'

Golf

• defd
    defd

I have drawn closer to God. Before being a Witness I had no idea of who God was. Now I know him pretty good. He is the God i want to worship.

• jadedgramma
    jadedgramma

MerryMagdalene-thanks for the welcome! Another point I had was in questioning the "choice" available to we pathetic humans-do it his way...or DIE and die some hideous excruciating death. Oh wait-live for him and do it his way and once again-you might get the privilege to die a tortured hideous death but at least this way we get a title-that of martyr. More than anything being raised a JW has rendered me a hopeless cynic/skeptic. Any suggestions as to overcoming this??

• poppers
    poppers

"I have drawn closer to God. Before being a Witness I had no idea of who God was. Now I know him pretty good. He is the God i want to worship." You "know" him pretty good, or do you "know" an interpretation of him?

• Valis
    Valis

IMO if people need Christian religion in their lives they would do well to discard a lot of the bible entirely. not an administrator asks about"what god wants" and if you look at the OT versus say just strictly the principles of Jesus, you see that the two are not very compatible at all. It has been my experience that the Unitarians probably come closest to an ideal Christian religious experience. Perhaps it is the ability for many different bible interpretations to live together under one roof and be discussed openly. It may also boil down to the idea that what people really want is a public religious experience instead of a personal relationship with some kind of god Just my 2 cents.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer "Evil Athiest" class

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    My hope is that he is not the cruel, selfish, sick murderer that I grew to think he is but this is what being raised a JW has done to my view of God.

thom,

he is not, AND naught. nature, however, is blind, cold, pitiless and indifferent. this is probably what those ancient neolithic and bronze age people thought was god. when in reality they did not know how to interpret nature. and who can blame them?

glad we do know now!

TS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit