Channel C Decides to Stay Open !

by Amazing1914 25 Replies latest jw friends

• IW
    IW

Hello Amazing Jim,

I opened a new account here just to post on your thread. Won't be staying long.

Believe it or not I'm glad Ros decided to keep Channel C going.

But as you can see by the posts on this thread Channel C does not have what one would call an inviting Christian reputation.

Ironically, after backstabbing one another the Channel C Christians decide that to forgive and move on would show the world their Christian love. lol Sorry to disappoint them but forgiving and moving on is a human trait, shown many times by the good people on this board by the way, and does not in itself prove one a good Christian or Channel C a good Christian board.

Channel C misses the mark on a grand scale! They exclude most of those who are hurting or are in the greatest need while including the close community of exJW Christian greats and the few who can serve as sounding boards for their posts. (yeah, I know, being a little unfair but not much)

Ros asked you to help atheists. Atheists on her board? lol How many are there? 1 or 2 who are allowed to post? The atheists and agnostics are here Jim. Help hurting Christians here. The righteous have no need of repentance, remember?

Your evolution posts would have gone over much better here, Jim. At Channel C some put hot coals under your feet just for bringing the subject up. Nope, no closed minds over there. Nope, just a bunch of loving and inclusive Christians who love God and brother to pieces, literally.

IW Edited to add: You guys on Channel C really enjoy Biblical text and interpretation debates. Now the discussion centers on what did Jesus REALLY mean by "on this rock." Well, I got something for discussion Jim: What did Jesus mean by "Feed my sheep," was that the FAT sheep or the hungry do you think?

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi IW, Garybuss, and Neonmadman,

This response is to all of you, but is built off of IW's post for convenience.

I opened a new account here just to post on your thread. Won't be staying long. ... Believe it or not I'm glad Ros decided to keep Channel C going.

Thanks. I have been banging my head on the table trying to figure out who IW might me. So, if you wish, e-mail me at [email protected]. Yes, I am pleased she kept it open.

But as you can see by the posts on this thread Channel C does not have what one would call an inviting C hristian reputation. ... Ironically, after backstabbing one another the Channel C Christians decide that to forgive and move on would show the world their Christian love. lol Sorry to disappoint them but forgiving and moving on is a human trait, shown many times by the good people on this board by the way, and does not in itself prove one a good Christian or Channel C a good Christian board.

I agree that forgiveness is not a trait unique to Christians. But, it is a trait that a Christian should at least be practicing, if one is going to be true to Christ. I can't speak to the inviting aspect, because the forum is not an open forum, but one confined to those the board own believes will contribute to the focus on Bible discussion. As for Neonmadman, I cannot say why one person from the same church would be selected, but he would not be. I guess it would be good to apply again, and explain this if he had not done so already. Otherwise, I can't speak to what Ros had in mind by rejecting any person under these circumstances.

She is also a member of the JWD forum, and can see how some have acted. For example, one poster who was kicked off of JWD and sent to another competing forum for his neo-nazi propaganda would not be allowed on CC. In making selections, she uses her best judgment. I have known Ros for over 13 years, so I do trust her style.

Channel C misses the mark on a grand scale! They exclude most of those who are hurting or are in the greatest need while including the close community of exJW Christian greats and the few who can serve as sounding boards for their posts. (yeah, I know, being a little unfair but not much)

Ros had other forums designed for those hurting and needing emotional and spiritual support. It worked well for a long time, but was closed down because those needing help reduced in numbers, while those interested in secular topics increased. So, she created a forum for secular debate. I was a member of both of those forums. They worked for a time, but are now closed. Channel C was never intended to be a healing station, but more of an expert or serious and experienced student of the Bible. It was intended to function on a different level. Like anything else, Channel C is not perfect, and none of its participants are either. So, it was bound to have problems eventually. I have been a member since the beginning, and I never saw any such difficulties. I have been there for a few years. The recent problems, in my mind, were a tempest in a teapot - especially compared to the flame wars we have had here, or elsewhere. H20 had the best all-time wars.

Ros asked you to help atheists. Atheists on her board? lol How many are there? 1 or 2 who are allowed to post? The atheists and agnostics are here Jim. Help hurting Christians here. The righteous have no need of repentance, remember?

She asked the board in general a set of questions as to how an ex-JW Christian might be constructive in helping an ex-JW atheist. She was wondering how we might find a way to develop common ground and maybe help prevent atheist as a consequence of leaving the Watchtower. I agree that it would have been useful to have some atheists, or at least come Christians who had walked the atheist road. But, there is too great a risk that the religious would debate the atheist rather than listen and learn. And, some atheists are as bad as fundy Christians, and can get as preachy, and try to promote propaganda rather than discuss topics.

I took up the call because I felt that I had an angle that might be useful and help kick off a constructive discussion. Channel C is not about being righteous, but about a dedicated focus. It is a specialty forum. However, it also contains some individuals, who although are ex-JWs, are fundamentalists and have a hard time coping with a broad view. So, they saw my approach as a threat to their narrow view. However, several supported my approach, and there was some constructive discussion. But, by and large, many saw me as promoting evolution and felt obligated to debate me on it, rather than understand the concept I tried to convey at the outset. But, again, CC is not about being an emotional support forum, but more about scholastics and academics.

Your evolution posts would have gone over much better here, Jim. At Channel C some put hot coals under your feet just for bringing the subject up. Nope, no closed minds over there. Nope, just a bunch of loving and inclusive Christians who love God and brother to pieces, literally.

I agree that I could have gotten much better play out of my evolution postings on JWD. My Christian background is not threatened by it. I can take evolution or leave it. But not all Christians can. Most Roman Catholics and Orthodox Catholics can accept evolution and engage in such a discussion easily. But, many in the Protestant Evangelical camp, and others that attract ex-JWs have great difficulty. Yes, in my opinion, some minds are closed. This mentality, in my opinion, resulted in some misreading my postings.

Carl Olaf Jonnson took up debating me over Carbon14 dating. he did a good job finding references, and I read every one of them. But as good as he is in researching information, I felt that he misunderstands the debate in scientific circles. As a result, I believe he misapplied statements by scientists in the field who use C-14, but also point out its difficulties. I worked almost 20 years in radiology in research, testing, and applied engineering. So, the topic was easier for me. But, I was unable to reason with Carl in the end. And, unfortunately, because some of the more fundamentalists on CC felt threatened by the implications of C-14 dating (which proves humans have been here thousands of years longer than the date for Adam's creation) they sided with Carl, who among ex-JWs has a more accepted academic reputation than do I. Carl's work on the "Gentile Times Reconsidered" is of superior quality, and a work that I could not have matched. However, Carl was out of his field in C-14 discussions, but his credibility overshadowed good science.

My post titled "Dichotomy of a Schizophrenic God" really caused a stir, and may have been responsible as a catalyst in getting the disagreements going. I was called a blasphemer, and promoting abominations, and evil. I was frankly shocked. Because the word "Dichotomy" was the tip off as to the intent of my post. Anyone as academically strong as many on that forum should have immediately known the focus of my post. But somehow, it was largely misinterpreted by the most scholarly among them. This suggested to me that they felt threatened and/or did not read my post. My argument was not that God was crazy, but if one accepts that pacifism is a required ingredient in the Christian character, then God would have to be crazy. The post was written in a thought-provoking style to expose' pacifistic views in a back- handed way as being out of step with God. Instead, the academics accused me of not writing what I mean, and not meaning what I write, and being unclear, etc. They simply did not want to deal with the hard reality of what I presented.

Now that I am thinking of it, I will repost my "Schizophrenic" post here on JWD and see what kind of response it gets. That would be an interesting test.

All in all, IW Gary, and Neon, I understand and agree that your criticism have some good merit. I hope that my explanation has at least mitigated some of the concern, and establish the limited focus of CC, but also gave honest admission of some of the weaknesses.

Thanks for your comments,

Jim W.

• IW
    IW

Hi Amazing Jim,

I have been banging my head on the table trying to figure out who IW might me

I'm just an apparition. You'll forget it by morning.

I agree that forgiveness is not a trait unique to Christians. But, it is a trait that a Christian should at least be practicing, if one is going to be true to Christ. I can't speak to the inviting aspect, because the forum is not an open forum, but one confined to those the board own believes will contribute to the focus on Bible discussion.

Amazing Jim, I would see no problem with a closed forum for Biblical discussion if the prominant exJW Christians of that forum also saw fit to post here or on another general exJW forum in order to aid their fellow exiting JW Christians. But they do not dirty their feet here do they. Be honest, would Jim Penton or Carl Olaf Jonsson ever come here and "talk" with the folks here on a regular basis? Would they discuss scripture? No, friend, they would not. Why is that?

She is also a member of the JWD forum, and can see how some have acted. For example, one poster who was kicked off of JWD and sent to another competing forum for his neo-nazi propaganda would not be allowed on CC.

Jim, you are using an extreme example in order to justify the general exclusion of many.

In making selections, she uses her best judgment. I have known Ros for over 13 years, so I do trust her style.

That's good, I'm glad to hear that Jim. It seem though that Jim Penton recently did not trust "her style" all that much.

Channel C was never intended to be a healing station, but more of an expert or serious and experienced student of the Bible. It was intended to function on a different level.

I there a forum where you, Penton, Jonsson, Persson, Ros and other knowledgable exJW Christians post that is intended to be a healing station? Where do you all post to hurting exJWs exiting the Watchtower? Where do you all encourage the great crowd of rank and file JW Christians as they exit their religion? Please post the link!

The recent problems, in my mind, were a tempest in a teapot - especially compared to the flame wars we have had here, or elsewhere. H20 had the best all-time wars.

A tempest in a teapot? Well, no one can prove one way or another what was said because Ros deleted the posts.

My memory of the event: Ros, a Christian, get's upset with Penton, another Christian, because he mentions the U.S. in a posting conversation with you, Jim. Ros gets all upset because she claims Penton is some political nut who in her view will lose it and go on some political tirade. She tells you, Jim, not to be naughty again and she tells Penton that if he posts anything with regard to the U.S. again his posts will be deleted. She posts to Persson all sorts of complaints about a certain "person."

Penton, gets all hot under the collar because he is that "person" she was maligning and calling Ros by her real name denigrates her.....and insinuates her problem is dealing with strong men. Ros replies with an accusation that Penton is anti-feminist.

"I am leaving," posts begin to appear. Ros declares that Channel C will close.

Penton makes a mild attempt at reconcilliation which is rebuffed by Ros. Persson takes the lead in reminding both of their Christian duty to forgive. Both remember.

(I cannot refer to the removed posts so the chronological order of the argument may not be perfect.)

Yep, a tempest in a teapot, a Christian teapot. Name calling, accusations etc., doesn't sound all that different than other boards.

For what it's worth I thought you did well with the evolution discussion. You held your own.

I understood where you were coming from with "schizophrenic" post but like the evolution post, Channel C cannot take that sort of stuff.

Now that I am thinking of it, I will repost my "Schizophrenic" post here on JWD and see what kind of response it gets. That would be an interesting test.

Yes, it would. Likely the atheists would clammor for more!

All in all, IW Gary, and Neon, I understand and agree that your criticism have some good merit. I hope that my explanation has at least mitigated some of the concern, and establish the limited focus of CC, but also gave honest admission of some of the weaknesses.

Yes, thank you.

I may be many things Jim, but one thing I do try to be is honest and forthright. I have posted my thoughts about Channel C, prominant exJW Christians and even you, on H2O.

Mature exJW Christians MUST care for their fellow Christian brothers, Jim. Is there another mission for Christians?

Take care,

IW

• binadub
    binadub

Interesting posts.

IW: It's interesting to know you read Channel C so throughly. I wish I could say the same. :-)))
    Course, admittedly, I was a little more involved in the recent disruptions there.
    I don't have much time to participate here. I don't even have time to participate much on my own forums.

My interest in establishing Channel C was to provide a forum where we who had left the WT and were/are interested in Biblical scholarship could have discussion focused on that avenue. It was never intended to be a big forum like JWD or H2O--I really could not afford the bandwidth. And I have no apologies for the fact that disagreements do occasionally erupt. So?

Gary: I remember your request to participate on Channel C. My response was to explain that the participants were, for the most part, focused on a Christian perspective. You replied that you would decline. You were not rejected.

My question is: Why do people have an issue with a forum that elects to focus on a Christian perspective? Why does that bother you?
    I happen to be Christian and cannot afford the bandwidth of an all-inclusive discussion board like H2O or JWD. Also, I don't have the interest. I'm paying for the board, so why is it an issue that I have a board that focuses on my interests?

Sorry for the name--they unregistered "Ros" when they stopped allowing more than one registration for a participant on JWD. I'm Binadub here now.

~Binadub (aka Ros)

• IW
    IW

Hello Binadub (aka Ros),

My question is: Why do people have an issue with a forum that elects to focus on a Christian perspective? Why does that bother you?

Doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is that the prominant exJW Christians on your board do not help the great crowd of exJWs by either posting on a general exJW board or by publishing a book or other publication which helps them to remain Christians. They need association, Ros! Exiting JWs need help to remain Christian. They need more than a "keep warm and well fed," If Penton and the others did so I would applaud your board for what it is, a place for Christian discussion.

But as it is your board is a place for the strong to preach to the choir. JWs exiting are dying Ros, they are spiritually dying. They need help, they need association. They need someone to take the lead. They need someone who cares enough to pubish a simple monthly newsletter of encouragement. They need someone who says to them, "come" rather than "go away."

Penton, Jonsson, Whitney, etc. can do this. They have the know how, the name and the maturity. What does Jesus have to do? Send a bolt of lightning their way in order to wake them up?

The damn Watchtower is dead, DEAD! What matters now are the brothers and sisters in there and those leaving.

HELP THEM! Either allow them to post on your board or encourage Penton and the others to do something to help people who are being destroyed. What good is it to know all about doctrine if we allow our brothers to fall away? To him that was given much, much will be demanded of him. Penton, Jonsson and a few others have been given much. There is a whole crowd out there in need of spiritual food. Just simple spiritual food nothing deep or fancy just some crumbs to sustain them until they can stand on their own. If mature exJW Christians do not stand up to this challenge than let God himself teach them to do so.

Is there something else more important to the Christ than to feed and care for his sheep? No.

IW

• garybuss
    garybuss

Delivered-To: [email protected] X-Sender: [email protected] (Unverified) X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Light Version 3.0.5 (32) Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 17:35:17 -0600 To: Gary Busselman <[email protected]> From: Channel-C Questions <[email protected]> Subject: Re: May I join?

Hi, Gary:
    My Channel C board and Beacon-Room discussion groups are exclusively JWs and exJWs of Christian faith (non-trinitarian). However, my Concord Room e-mail list is for exJW friends, with or without faith. I think you would be much more comfortable in that forum. Jim Penton participates there, as well as others you might recognize from JWD. Would you like to participate on Concord Room?
    It's nice to hear from you. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. I recently heard from DocBob, too. Do you ever see or hear from Ron Frye.
    Let me know your interest about Concord Room.
    Blessings, Ros ======================================== At 07:48 PM 5/15/02 -0500, you wrote: >""<> > To: [email protected] > > Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 08:04:54 -0400 > > To Join Channel C just go to the Beacon Website and write a note to the >administrator that you would like to join the group send comments to: Ask >to join the Beacon room too, it is an private email that comes to us from >other members, and the public does not see it. I believe you would like it >Gary. Tell them I suggested you join. You would fit perfectly in with the >ones who come talk and debate. > > Thanks > > gb > >

• garybuss
    garybuss

Ros, you wrote:
    Gary: I remember your request to participate on Channel C. My response was to explain that the participants were, for the most part, focused on a Christian perspective. You replied that you would decline. You were not rejected.

Here is a copy of my reply. I saw your post to me as a rejection of me personally. I still do.

To: Channel-C Questions <[email protected]> Subject: Re: May I join?

At 05:35 PM 5/16/02 -0600, you wrote:

Hi, Gary:

My Channel C board and Beacon-Room discussion groups are exclusively JWs
    and exJWs of Christian faith (non-trinitarian).

Oh okay thanks anyway

However, my Concord Room
    e-mail list is for exJW friends, with or without faith. I think you would
    be much more comfortable in that forum. Jim Penton participates there, as
    well as others you might recognize from JWD. Would you like to participate
    on Concord Room?

It's nice to hear from you. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods. I
    recently heard from DocBob, too. Do you ever see or hear from Ron Frye.

Let me know your interest about Concord Room.

Blessings,
    Ros
    ========================================
    At 07:48 PM 5/15/02 -0500, you wrote:
    >""<>
    > To: [email protected]
    >
    > Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 08:04:54 -0400
    >
    > To Join Channel C just go to the Beacon Website and write a note to the
    >administrator that you would like to join the group send comments to: Ask
    >to join the Beacon room too, it is an private email that comes to us from
    >other members, and the public does not see it. I believe you would like it
    >Gary. Tell them I suggested you join. You would fit perfectly in with the
    >ones who come talk and debate.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > gb
    >
    >
  • binadub
    binadub

Okay, Gary:

My memory was in error about your post. In the early days, I was registering only professed Christians, which is pretty I thought (and still do think) was clearly defined on the homepage and in the FAQ of "How Do I Register". The intent of Channel C was and is for discussion of Watchtower doctrines in light of Biblical scholarship. In reviewing the post you sent and my response, I honestly cannot for the life of me see how you could interpret it as a rejection of you personally. That would be like some of the people who request registration who have never been JWs taking it personally. I like you Gary. I think you are a great writer and very creative.

My objective in establishing Channel C was for my personal interests. I wanted a place where I could have discussion with other exWitness Christians that have a similar leaning to mine without having to defend ourselves on a daily basis for believing in God, for having faith, for not having an advanced understanding of the Second Law of Thermodynamics, for not believing the Trinity doctrine, etc., etc. With as many forums as there are on the Internet, it boggles my mind why people take offense at one particular focused forum whose interests are contrary to their own.

I'm sorry you took it personally,
    ~Ros

• garybuss
    garybuss

Hi Ros, Before meeting you, I had no experience being refused on an Ex Witness board. I'll be more careful in the future.
    I have no problem with you refusing me personally to post on your personal forum. When I'm rejected as a person, there's no other way to take it except personally. I can't take it financially because it wasn't a business deal. I can't take it medically because it's not a disease. I can't take it mechanically because it isn't a machine. I can't take it chemically since it's not chemical. I can't take it scientifically, it's not a science thing.
    I was invited to apply to post on Channel C by a Channel C poster. I applied for personal reasons. You rejected me for personal reasons. You indicate your personal reason had to do with my religion, or lack of. How are you different from the Jehovah's Witnesses?
    My only question today has to do with the deceptive advertising of Channel C on the BRCI web site. You wrote:
    My objective in establishing Channel C was for my personal interests. I wanted a place where I could have discussion with other exWitness Christians . . . Maybe that needs to be disclosed on BRCI's web site page that advertised Channel C as a place to find "Assistance With the Problems of Leaving an Authoritative Religion". Your personal board looks like an exclusive, authoritative religious extension of BRCI. Maybe BRCI likes the arrangement like it is. They probably do.

• binadub
    binadub

To IW:

Doesn't bother me at all. What bothers me is that the prominant exJW Christians on your board do not help the great crowd of exJWs by either posting on a general exJW board or by publishing a book or other publication which helps them to remain Christians. They need association, Ros! Exiting JWs need help to remain Christian. They need more than a "keep warm and well fed," If Penton and the others did so I would applaud your board for what it is, a place for Christian discussion.

I agree there needs to be some kind of association. I tried to start something with Christian Quest, but I couldn't get people interested. They want something, but they tend to disagree on what. They either have their own ideas about what an alternative association should be, or they want nothing to do with anything that even remotely suggests "organization."

Penton started to post on this board at one time. The wolves came after him just like they generally do those who profess Christianity. It's not friendly here for discussing Christianity, IW. In my opinion, a board like Channel C is exactly what does provide a way for people to view the Christian perspective of knowledgeable Christians without the predators descending to have them for dinner. I can tell you from private e-mail I get that evidently quite a number of people do read the board and benefit from it. People who are hurting can always post questions or comments to the board--you don't have to be a participant to do that.

Aside from that, where people choose to post is none of my business. Why blame the forum? Write to Penton.

But as it is your board is a place for the strong to preach to the choir. JWs exiting are dying Ros, they are spiritually dying. They need help, they need association. They need someone to take the lead. They need someone who cares enough to pubish a simple monthly newsletter of encouragement. They need someone who says to them, "come" rather than "go away."

In my opinion again, they don't "preach" and certainly not "to the choir". They discuss differences of opinion, present different topical evidence, and disagree quite a bit. That is not what I would call "preaching to the choir".

Also, there is a lot more than you know about behind the scenes of some of the personalities you're referring to helping other people.
    BRCI is very open, and they have a number of people there who serve as "referrals". They provide a toll-free "Helpline" (1-800-WHY-1914).
    There's no one solution that address all people. I think anyone who has ever hosted a board forum will agree with me on that. There's a Murphy Law that says, "If you try to please everybody, NOBODY will like it."
    I actually have another forum--one that people wanted for what you're talking about. It's called exJW Christians, but anyone can join. They just have to register. For some reason, it's not very popular. :-)

Penton, Jonsson, Whitney, etc. can do this. They have the know how, the name and the maturity. What does Jesus have to do? Send a bolt of lightning their way in order to wake them up?

Well, Whitney does post here. He started this thread. Penton and Jonsson (and Persson) have written books, get personal e-mail that they respond to it, and they have on occasion participated on other boards such as this one and H2O.

The damn Watchtower is dead, DEAD! What matters now are the brothers and sisters in there and those leaving.
    HELP THEM! Either allow them to post on your board or encourage Penton and the others to do something to help people who are being destroyed. What good is it to know all about doctrine if we allow our brothers to fall away? To him that was given much, much will be demanded of him. Penton, Jonsson and a few others have been given much. There is a whole crowd out there in need of spiritual food. Just simple spiritual food nothing deep or fancy just some crumbs to sustain them until they can stand on their own. If mature exJW Christians do not stand up to this challenge than let God himself teach them to do so.

Well to my knowledge they are allowed to post on Channel C. I just have to register them.
    People come out of the organization with different needs, and sometimes those needs change drastically within a very short period of time. I can tell you that there have been a few who came out of the WT professing faith, participated on Channel C and here, even contacted Christian Quest, and in a short time were atheist/agnostic. So it doesn't always work out the way you say, IW.

I can tell you that there is a forum in development that may involve some of the people you are talking about. It is being developed by some prominent participants of this forum. I understand there will be announcements about it soon. Penton mentioned on Channel C that he is working on a couple of websites. I don't know what those are about, but it will be interesting to see.

Remember, IW, the people you're talking about, they have needs too.

Is there something else more important to the Christ than to feed and care for his sheep? No.

Well, you're right about that, IW. At least that's my view. But they're not all of the same fold. Those who followed Paul had different needs than those who followed the apostles in Jerusalem. There needs to be variety IMO. It would be different if there were not other places--many of them. People shouldn't follow men. That's why Ray Franz would never start something, because people would follow him, not the message. Christianity should not depend on Penton or Jonsson or Franz or Channel C.

But I do hear a lot of what you are saying. I have discussed it not infrequently with people. We have considered publishing a newsletter such as what you describe--I would like to see that happen. Perhaps it will.

~Ros

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit