still resisting!

by Kat_ 28 Replies latest jw experiences

• esther
    esther

Kat, if you can put your information down in an unemotional way, keeping just to the factual points it might help.
    If you start a document of facts, putting each point down just as you think about it, you can keep adding to it until you feel you have enough points assembled. Maybe you can then put them into a logical manner in a letter to your mother, telling her how much you love and respect her, but... then mail it to her.
    I don't know your circumstances, but if you could manage to be away for a few days it could give her time to digest it. This might diffuse the situation.

esther

• outnfree
    outnfree

Kat_.

It seems to me your Dad's attitude may have little to do with thinking that you're brainless rather than with a sincere belief that children are better off raised by their parents. If it is at all financially possible to do so, I'd counsel not returning to work, either, until your kids are at least in grade 1. But sometimes that is NOT possible, so you do what you have to. Dad's generally want their little girls taken care of, because that's what they feel they did all their lives.

However, I DO understand how insulted you feel when your parents act as though you could not have come up with a coherent thought on your own.

When you said:

She has no respect for me as an individual thinker...just as her daughter. Does that make sense?

about your mother, it made PERFECT sense to me. You are an extension of her -- you are like a medal on her chest. How you turn out reflects on her ability and wisdom as a parent. This is likely why you are so frightened to tell her about your lapsed Memorial attendance and lack of belief in the Organization. You sense how that would shake her perception of HERSELF. And you don't want to hurt her. (along with not wanting to put yourself in the position of being the recipient of her actions to "save" you! lol) Am I even close?

Keep writing as many lengthy posts as you want, Kat_.

We just LOVE Motor Mouths !!!!

outnfree
    (known as a pretty productive Motor Mouth herself!)

• Kat_
    Kat_

Another long one...sorry, but you are asking for it by encouraging me!!!

Hiya!

Esther: very good advice. I need to start writing things down. Right now I am just reading and researching, but not taking many notes...so I can't remember details I've found one day to the next. I will also keep it simple...one fact at a time...instead of little things all over the place...hmm, maybe if I applied that to my posts they would not be so long???

Out: Excellent insight on the whole Mother thing; I never really thought about how she may feel that whatever I do reflects on her competency as a parent. I get it. So, even though I am grown up I still have mommy 'raising' me...quite understandable and actually not surprising...I don't think mothers ever quite want their children to 'grow up'.

As far as working goes, I actually feel extremely lucky to be able to stay at home with my kids. Sometimes I wish I could get out of this house and away from my kids but when I really think about it, there are many, many parents who would love to stay at home but cannot. So I actually agree with you; and my father, but that's not my point. My point is that whenever I think about possibly just going back to work early (when my daughter turns 2), even if it's just a faraway thought, he gets upset and tells me I absolutely cannot go to work. It's one thing to disagree or tell me that he personally thinks I should stay home, but it's another thing for him to command me to continue staying at home. These are only wishful thoughts that I sometimes have...I do enjoy staying home and am thankful I can. But it's sometimes nice to think of other options, if only to know that they are always there. It's that whole 'loss of power' thing. Sometimes I feel trapped in my life; husband works two jobs so I never see him, we have one car only and he takes it, and I basically am stuck at home with two toddlers. Same routine every day. There are millions of parents in the exact same situation so I don't feel any self-pity, in fact I think I have it pretty good. Still, sometimes it gets to be too much I think to myself , "well, I can go back to work anytime I want"...and that makes me feel better just knowing I do have control over my life. So, I just want my parents to respect that I do have control over my own life and that certain decisions will be mine and mine alone. God, I feel like some teenager complaining about mom and dad. Sheesh! My petty complaints aside, I really do have a terrific relationship with them--I think it's just that I've never really gone off and started a life without them, which I have no intention of doing...I love being so close to them, so they are involoved in every aspect of my life. We are an extremely close family and I won't even leave the state (I would love to move north somewhere) because I couldn't fathom living farther away from my mom than the already 2 hour distance. We actually have a lifelong pact: where she goes I go, and vice versa. I simply want her in my life every step of the way. She is truly my best friend. We have gone through so much together--I've been there for her at her worst times and she for me. We have a bond that is unbelievably strong. I don't want to sound boastful..it's just that I am filled with pride...I am so lucky to have her as a mother. Heck, she is lucky to have me for a daughter too! Hee hee.

Oh, well, I am getting too 'deep' in my thoughts...I have to stop being so negative about this...who knows? maybe , hopefully, that "where I go you go" pact could actually prompt her to take a look at my soon-to-be-validated thoughts about the JW's and just maybe she'll take an objective look for herself. Can't hurt to try, right?

Kat

• ReverendRoy
    ReverendRoy

Kat,
    I know that it is nice to be able to stay home with your children. My wife and I decided she would stay at home for awhile with our little girl, who is now 2 and half.

Like you my wife is torn on the decision to work or stay home. I try to support her in whatever her decision is. She has decided to work part time, in the mean-time she is developing her own interior design business. Not only does she need to do this for her own personal sanity, but for the development of our daughter as well. We want her to have the social interaction with other children and be able to be away from mom and dad for awhile without major stress for her.

There are times when I am both thankful I can get away to work and envious, because I would also enjoy the "Mr. Mom" role to soem degree.

Through all of this you have to keep in mind that it is your life and your decision. You need may need support and/or help, but not a hinderance. While it may be difficult to do this, you may feel better in the long run...to do what you think is best. Period.

Hang in there......

• Yadira Angelini
    Yadira Angelini

Kat: I enjoyed both of your postes.... I wish my daughter, Ericka, would one day soon, think by herself, not the organization. You have given me hope that she will one day leave the organization.. Please, pray for her.. and it was so cute when you said you like stories involving miracles and Guardian Angeles.... it shows your sweetness, and I'm sure, God will guide you and I'll be praying for you. Yadira Angelini.

Yadira Angelini

• Escargot
    Escargot

Welcome

"Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection, send my credentials to the house of detention, I got some friends inside.....”
    The Doors

• ReverendRoy
    ReverendRoy

Escargot -
    I had forgotten that line....how appropriate.

• Kat_
    Kat_

Thanks for the welcome Escargot and Yadira. Thanks for the encouraging words Roy. I feel just like your wife...I sometimes feel I will lose all sanity if I don't get away from these kids!
    But then when push comes to shove and I actually seriosly think about it, I start to get all mushy and teary just thinking about actually leaving my babies. But I know every parent goes through this so I will be fine once I get used to it. But for now, I am still not going to do anything; not until my son starts pre-k. He will soon (within a month or so) be going to a pre-k program whether I like it or not...he needs to go for developmental purposes. If he does well, I will look into putting my daughter into a mommies-day-out ( one day a week, for a few hours)program or something small like that. That's my starting point--from there I will see what I will do.

I am happy to hear your wife has worked out a good plan, though. I am glad you are so supportive, too...good man!

Yarida: Thanks for the compliment! I always had that little something in me that believed in miracles and angels, etc. My own son was a true miracle and that kind of gave me a wake up call...from there, it took me a few more years but since then, slowly but surely, I have finally developed my own ideas about what JW's are and aren't. I feel like that was really God asking me "well, time to decide"...corny, I know, but it really changed my life. While I only officially rejected the JW teachings a short time ago, I think, in retrospect, back then was really when I started questioning things.
    Thank you for the prayers and I will do the same for Ericka.

Take Care,
    Kat

• Yadira Angelini
    Yadira Angelini

Kat, I wish you recollect your postes and one day publish them and write a book. I'm serious: the way you express yourselve, have me so interested in what is next in your life. You are transparent, honest and so full of life. You write so well and I feel so close to you... every word you write I eat it. English is my second language, so everyone here,please excuse my writting mistakes. Isn't Kat awesome? She is honestly searching and reaching out: Kat! you are a survivor... I say this too: you are a good daughter, one who respects your parents and God bless the ones who honors their parents... expect only blessings and guidance from above. Keep on going: I will continue to write you... there is so much to say and I understand
    exactly your dilemma: I raised six children, and I have now 15 grandchildren. I remember those days when I wanted to be only Yadira, not someones mom or wife. If your husband can see you need your space, and if you get you follow up on your plan, your husband and your kids will benefit 100%. They will have a singing mom, with a smile, so happy to be with them again. I'll pray for you and I'm sure you have friends in 'HIGH PLACES'. Love and prayers,

Yadira Angelini

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit