The Atheist's Book of Bible Stories - Ch. 21 - Pascal Got It Wrong

by RunningMan 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

PASCAL GOT IT WRONG

“What if you’re wrong?”

One of my loyal readers (OK, my only reader) recently posed this question to me. He was responding to the preceeding chapter, which pointed out some of the flaws in the Jesus myth. During my correspondence with him, it became apparent that he was just another fundamentalist, trolling for brimstone fodder for the Almighty. However, he did raise an interesting point – one that sounds good to a lot of people.

What he was describing is a very common piece of logic called “Pascal’s Wager”. It dates back to the seventeenth century, when it was put forward by the mathematician Blaise Pascal. Being a smart guy, he really should have known better, but let’s take a look at the logic and see where it goes wrong.

Basically, the logic goes like this: There are only two ways that a person can act – either with God, or against him. As well, God either exists or he doesn’t. So, here is a summary of all possible outcomes:

If you believe in God, and he exists, then you gain all.
    If you believe in God, and he doesn’t exist, then nothing happens.
    If you do not believe in God, and he exists, then you lose all.
    If you do not believe in God, and he doesn’t exist, then nothing happens.

So, believing in God yields either positive or neutral results, while spurning God yields either negative or neutral results. Therefore, you have everything to gain and nothing to lose by supporting the God hypothesis.

Sounds ironclad, doesn’t it? Unfortunately, there are some flaws in the logic.

False dichotomy – Belief in God is not a simple yes/no question. Most religions believe that they are the only ones who provide the correct path to salvation, and all others will face eternal damnation. Muslims believe that all Christians are infidels. Hindus believe that Buddhists are wrong. And most branches of Christianity believe that the other sects are wrong. If I believe in God, I could choose any one of thousands of different religions and sects. If I choose the wrong one, I could support God, but still lose all. So, it’s not just a matter of believing in God or not believing in him. I must pick the right God out of a spectrum of thousands, most of which are intolerant of all other Gods – any wrong choice, and I’m toast.

Reduction to absurdity – Go back and reread my four “if” statements, substituting “Allah” for God. It works equally well. Now try it for Vishnu, Zeus, Baal, and Spiderman. The logic works just as well. I have everything to gain by worshipping Spiderman, and nothing to lose.

Incorrect assumptions – The logic assumes that if I worship a non-existent God, then nothing happens. This is not true. I must expend time, energy, and money to support my God. If he isn’t real, then I have just wasted my resources. And what does any one have that is more valuable than time? So, believing in a non-existent God is not neutral, it is negative. You must pay for it, and you lose.

Belief is not an investment – No one chooses their belief system by selling to the highest bidder. A person’s belief system is a product of their experience, knowledge, and logic. You do not pick beliefs. They develop spontaneously. Choosing a belief based on expediency is not belief at all, it is opportunism.

The odds are not equal – Implicit in Pascal’s logic is the assumption that the two hypotheses are roughly equal, so the individual might as well go with the one that yields the best results. This is not true. The likelihood of the vengeful God of ancient Middle Eastern sheepherders being the creator of the universe is infinitesimal.

I would like to conclude with an illustration.

My name is Fred. I am the Almighty of the universe. At the end of days I will reward my followers with eternal life and seventy-one virgins (I had a brief bidding war with Allah). Those who do not believe in me will suffer through an eternity of Survivor reruns. Can you really afford to not worship me?

And, as for me, I will worship Spiderman.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Maybe this would be a realist's spin on Pascal's wager:

If a reasonable God exists, and I believe in him, I may get a reward if I please him.

If an unreasonable God exists, and I believe in him, I “probably” may be saved if I “keep seeking” him and don’t tick him off somehow while trying to please him.

If a reasonable God exists, and I haven’t developed a belief in him, God will probably give me another chance to develop such belief during an “after life”.

If an unreasonable God exists, and I haven’t developed a belief in him, who knows what God will do in the future. There isn’t much chance to reason with “him” anyhow.

• Shining One
    Shining One

My advide is to take a look at your logic again but this time use a textbook so you can actually analyze Pascal's wager. Oh, and it might be worthwhile to read some C.S. Lewis.....

Shining One (AKA Rex)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Reduction to absurdity – Go back and reread my four “if” statements, substituting “Allah” for God. It works equally well. Now try it for Vishnu, Zeus, Baal, and Spiderman. The logic works just as well. I have everything to gain by worshipping Spiderman, and nothing to lose.

And may I also add SATAN THE DEVIL himself

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    substituting “Allah” for God. It works equally well.

"Allah" is Arabic for "God," Muslims just don't translate it I guess as they view it as an actual name. But Christians, who were in the Middle East before Mohammed, used "Allah" as their word for God.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    My advide is to take a look at your logic again but this time use a textbook so you can actually analyze Pascal's wager. Oh, and it might be worthwhile to read some C.S. Lewis.....

rex,

pascal's wager has been shown to be more of a fallacy than a truism. perhaps you should read some books that are post-lewis.

TS

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

In my opinion "believing" in God just because you don't want to die and you are scared you'll miss out if he really does exist is the biggest crock of shit I've ever heard. I would think that would be a huge slap in the face to "God" if it really does exist, since it to this point has given us absolutely *no* evidence that it's hanging back watching things. A steaming-pile-of-shit-offering-insult to it's intelligence.

GBL

• tdogg
    tdogg

Sorry Fred, I'm now offering seventy-two virgins .

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Hey, where's this surplus of virgins coming from?! If I have 72 virgins to dispose of as I see fit, I'm sending MYSELF to paradise!!

Hmmm...come to think of it, RunningMan could probably make one of his excellent posts about just that...multiply the number of Muslim males X 72, allowing for all of those who have lived throughout history as well as those who are currently living...I am willing to bet that the number far exceeds the number of virgin women....

• tdogg
    tdogg
    ...I am willing to bet that the number far exceeds the number of virgin women....

Ah...you've obviously never been to Utah.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit