More Gilead goodies! - Advice for 'people from poor countries'

by sir82 10 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Here's the latest snippet of an e-mail from a friend of a friend in the current Gilead class. This is his recap of part of one of their lectures in class:

... 1 Cor 7:17-24 speaks about

ones lot in life. Everyone has different abilities and circumstances.

Some of these will never change no matter how hard we work at them.

That's okay, just be content with whatever lot in life we have. Serve

Jehovah. Don't let these things be your all consuming passion. If

Jehovah has allowed these circumstances then don't worry and just put up

with them. The teacher made an interesting application to this scripture

also. He said that people that come from poor countries often are not

content with their circumstances. In fact, they get so consumed with

changing them that they will do illegal things to get to other countries

to work and stay there illegally...

So...struggling to live on your 32 cents per day wage while living in 3rd world squalor? Living in constant fear that machete-wielding thugs will kidnap you or your family, or "ethnically cleanse" you? Having a difficult time watching your child die from dysentary because no medicine is available in your remote village?

Don't be consumed with these things! Don't worry! Just put up with it! You slackers, get to the meeting!

I really enjoyed the student's next comment, immediately following the above:

... This might be a good point for me to

keep in mind to share with the local brothers when we get to our

assignments.

So, you brothers in Burkina Faso or Angola or wherever, what a treat you have to look forward to, as the incoming missionary couple gives their opening talk in your congregation, "Don't worry, be happy".

• Quotes
    Quotes

Am I the only one to notice the non-sequitor?

"Be content with your skills, lot, social standing, etc"

vs.

"Serve Jehovah" (which implies door-to-door field service, reaching out for the role of Elder, special pioneer, etc.".

What if my lot in life does not lend itself to this "service"? Can I still be content and not ride that Merry-Go-Round?

~Quotes, of the "attitudes like this would keep us in the Iron Age" class

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

sir82

The message is obvious.

If you waste your time trying to better your life, you waste our time.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

recently a friend and i were discussing these notes from gilead posted by sir82 ( there are several and if you've not read them.. read them!!)

bumping this one up so it'll be in my post history..also, was the illegal alien broohaha as prominent in 2005 as it was in 06 and 07?

dunno why they'd complain about the illegals, thats where most of the growth in the usa is now , in the foreign speaking congregations ..but i'm sure all the jw's there are legal .

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Jehovah's a deadbeat dad.

• James Free
    James Free

In the Philippines, where I am at present, the local JW's still ask for donations before handing over literature - "The bible was printed in Japan at great cost". The people they are asking money from often live on a dollar a day. They are not the only religion stealing from the people in the name of God here - it's commonplace, but I find it totally immoral.

• VM44
    VM44

Another example of the Watchtower not caring about people.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    In the Philippines, where I am at present, the local JW's still ask for donations before handing over literature - "The bible was printed in Japan at great cost". The people they are asking money from often live on a dollar a day. They are not the only religion stealing from the people in the name of God here - it's commonplace, but I find it totally immoral.

No sh$t ? My wife is filipino, yet I did not know that those ffers from the wt require the witnesses to ask for donations. You're right about the philippines, the vast majority there live on pocket change each day. I'm not doubting you, I'm sure this is one of many things my wife and her horrible communication skills neglected to tell me about. Hope you enjoy your stay in the Philippines. Try and get away from the city, to some of the more beautiful parts of their country.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Should people who're used to getting their needs taken care of 24/7 be lecturing people who don't have a pot to piss in? I'm just wondering if that's a nice thing to do....

• James Free
    James Free
    my wife and her horrible communication skills

So learn Tagalog or even Taglish! And yes, the JW's here go to the poorest people full of promises of a better life - I am in a 'good' estate and they have not been here in a year!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit