Who Will Conquer the World in the 1970's? - Public Talk

by Bonnie_Clyde 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I remember being present for that talk, and being rather disappointed because it didn't really offer any specifics about the 1975 prophecy beyond what we already had in other publications. Rather, iirc, it focused on "conquering the world" in the sense that Jesus spoke of in John 16:33 - "I have said these things to YOU that by means of me YOU may have peace. In the world YOU are having tribulation, but take courage! I have conquered the world."

There was a WT article a few years later on the same topic. Here's a sample:

*** w79 2/1 p. 17 par. 3 World Conquerors by Faith ***
    What kind of conquest is this conquest by faith? Well, to have faith means to be so thoroughly convinced concerning things unseen or things of the future that these become a reality to the believer. True Christian faith, far different from credulity built on shifting sands of emotion or superstition, is built on the sure foundation of Jesus Christ. Like ‘gold, silver and precious stones,’ it is incombustible. (1 Cor. 3:11-14) It is convinced of the existence of the one living God Jehovah and that he will vindicate his position as Sovereign Lord of the universe. This faith is anchored in the promises of the God “who cannot lie.” It looks intently to Jesus as its Perfecter and as God’s Chief Agent for fulfilling all of His grand purposes in connection with his kingdom.—Titus 1:2; Heb. 11:1, 6; 12:2.

So I think we may be overreaching to try to pin the 1975 prophecy to this talk - even though that's clearly the "tease" that they intended at the time with the title. All of us thought we would get some earth-shaking new information about the nearness of Armageddon, but it didn't happen in that talk.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit