Fascinating development in sex-abuse cases!

by hornetsnest 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• hornetsnest
    hornetsnest

Hi, all.

I don’t get on here very often, but when I saw this I figured that you would like to know about it. It seems that the Catholic Church here in Oregon (U. S. A.) is doing everything possible to shield its assets from the sex-abuse liability they have incurred. Their current action will almost certainly have large ramifications in the similar lawsuits that are filed against the Witnesses. In that light, check this out Eugene Register Guard – Saturday, (Front page) By Julia Silverman of The Associated Press ---- “ --- Around the middle of next month, thousands of households will get a letter informing them that, as parishioners of the 124 Catholic churches in , they are officially part of the class of defendants in the Portland Archdiocese’s bankruptcy case. “U. S. Bankruptcy Judge Perris formally certified the class on Friday. “The action is nearly unprecedented: Commonly, it is the plaintiffs, not the defendants, who organize as a class in civil cases.

“But in this case, parishioners will argue that it is they --- not the archdiocese --- who own the parishes’ $600 million in assets and property. “If they lose the argument, then that money will be considered fair game for the 235 men and women who have sued the church, alleging that they suffered sexual abuse at the hands of priests.” Now consider these points: Picture every Witness family in the country receiving a letter like this one. Can you think of any better publicity? It will be directed directly to the very ones that the Society wants to keep in the dark, and will make it impossible to carry on the deception. Talk about shouting secrets from the housetops! It makes Dateline look like a piker, because this threatens their pocketbooks.
    I look for chaos in the ranks.

The WTBTS has made it quite an issue that they, the Society, own the Kingdom Hall’s, etc. It will be fascinating to see what policy they pursue now. I’ll see if I can find a link. LoneWolf

• Legolas
    Legolas

Is there supposed to be something here?

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Pray, do tell.........................................................................................................................

• Legolas
    Legolas

Ok I can see it all now!

• hornetsnest
  • diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

This is interesting actually....what do you think Blondie?

DB74

• sf
    sf

Well hello there Tom. It is a welcoming sight seeing you posting. I hope all is well with you and your family.

Very interesting topic indeed.

I love letter campaigns! When the U.N. put out their letter re: the WTBTS "involvement" as an NGO, I printed up about twenty of them and mailed them to all of the kh's in my county, plus one to my childhood kh. Who knows what ever became of them, yet at least I had the satisfaction of knowing the message was getting out there and that I was doing my part in doing so.

I look forward to more campaigns.

{{{ warm hugs }}}

sKally

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

Wow. The implications are mind boggling, aren't they.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Leonard Nemoy voice over:: "Fascinating"

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's amazing what sort of legal arguments and tricks the lawyers can come up with, I am sure the WTS lawyers are just as resourceful. Let's hope soon they will get lots of law suits for causing deaths and ruining families.

It's hard to imagine how the the R & F could have ownership of the WTS assets since they never were allowed to have a say on how they should managed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit