Did Elders fail to meet requirements they made of you?

by Wasanelder Once 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Our PO and his wife were both pioneers. He is young and a sarcastic bastard. One time he stood in the back of the Hall while the meeting was going and said to me "This headship business is a bunch of crap!" His favorite talk? How to have a happy family life.

She fooled around with a guy at work and now they're divorced and she's DF'd. She couldn't be happier. Fly away little bird!

Ugh.

W.Once

• upside/down
    upside/down

There are ENDLESS episodes like this to relate...

Maybe we could start a JWD version of "Where Are They Now?"

It'd be awesome....and humiliating....

u/d (of the loves it when a hypocrite "falls" class)

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

Once when I was a teenager and the elders were really pushing the requirement to pioneer, I read an example in the Year Book about a congregation where the entire body of elders had pioneered and it had really encouraged the congregation.

Being a pain in the ass teenager, and totally impressionable, I sat down and copied out this passage from the year book, and put it in a envelope ready to post to every single elder in our congregation.

Fortunately, just before I bought the stamps my mum came up to my bedroom and asked me what I was doing. She told me there was NO WAY I ought to post that letter! Tee hee, I dont know why not! But In the end I didnt send it.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I expected the thread to be about a general failure to live up to all the requirements that are totted up when recommending a man for "The privilege of eldership"

That too would be a truism. Elders are scrutinised before appointment. The degree to which one has to live up to to the scripture will vary according to how much they want you,and whether you are liked. But once appointed, you are there for life as long as you keep your nose clean and are seen to be generally doing the job and turning a respectable field service report

Very often elders slow down again and do just enough to get by.. "It is the pressure, you see"

• tabbycat
    tabbycat

Wasanelderonce, at least the sarcastic bastard knew the headship business was a bunch of crap...

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Tabbie,

I know it read as if he knew headship was a bunch or crap, but the translation for his statement is actually; "She doesn't squat or put out when I tell her too!" That's the point of reference for headship for this "Star in the right hand of Christ".

She's the one who knew better!

I understand your statement, just thought I'd give you more info.

Respectfully yours,

truly...

W.Once

• rocketman
    rocketman

I was disturbed, especially as an elder, when elders who had missed many meetings would demand regular meeting attendance by the congregation. The elders and their families were often the worst violators of this "requirement", and it was deeply embarassing to me and a couple of other elders.

• tabbycat
    tabbycat

Wasonceanelder,

ahh! I see! i'm not suprised the poor woman didn't go along with the 'headship crap' if that was his pillow talk in the boudoir! Good for her! thanks for the clarification....

Tabs

• thom
    thom

I remember a circuit assembly that had a talk about raising children. Typical JW talk handled by two brothers sitting and discussing the subject.
    What really bothered me was that these two particular brothers never had any children. There were plenty of elders available, I'm sure, that were fathers, but these two were picked to give the talk.
    That went to show me that they really don't understand what they're doing (FDS) and the CO I believe is the one who picks who gives the talks and he's never had children either. Really went far to show me how little thought is put into telling us what to do.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit