Another letter from WBTS re: UN Scandal

by Gadget 38 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gadget
    Gadget

Quite a while ago I mentioned to my parents about the UN scandal but they didn't seem too interested, but when I called in the other day my mother mentioned it to me again. They had a Elder and his wife (Family friends who I was previously very very close to) staying with them for the convention and discussed it with them. The elders wife is a very strong personality and super-spiritual but when she heard of the scandal back in spring she had a huge problem with it. She asked everyone she knew about it but got no answers until she wrote to the society and got the answer below which satisfied her. I'm interested in what everyone thinks of it, but mostly what information I can send to her to make her think again.

XX May 16, 2005

Dear Sister XXXXXX:

We are please to respond to your letter of May 5, 2005, wherein you inquire about the Watch Tower Society's former registration with the United Nations as an NGO (nongovernment organisation) with the UN's Department of Public Information (DPI).

Our purpose for registering with the Department of Public Informatiopn as an NGO in 1991 was to have access to research material available on health, ecological, and social problems at United Nations library facilities. Some on our writing staff had been using the United Nations library facilities for many years prior to 1991, but in that year UN personnel on duty at the time told out representative that it would be necessary to register with the DPI in order to have continued access to the libraries we had been using long prior to that time.

Even though the UN now states that it was not necessary to register to use the libraries, this is what our representative was told at the time. Of course, we would have prefered to continue to use the libraries without the additional paperwork. But since NGO's are informed by the United Nations' Web site that "association of NGO's with DPI does not constitute their incorporation into the United Nations system, nor does it entitle associated organizations or their staff to any kind of priviledges, immunities or special status," we never became part of the United Nations. Registration paapers filed with the DPI that we have on file contain no statements that conflict with out religious beliefs. We merely continued to use their library system and to qoute them as a source in our publications, just as we had been doing previously. Still, the Criteria for Association with the DPI contain some language that we cannot subscribe to. When we realised this, we immediately withdrew our registration in 2001. We are grateful this matter was drawn to our attention.

For a balanced view of the United Nations organisation, please see The Watchtower of October 1, 1995, page 7, of which a photocopy is enclosed.

We are glad to provide the above comments in answer to your inquiry. Please be assured of our best wishes and warm christian love.

Your brothers,

Watch Tower B&T Society of Britain

Text from previous letters I have posted have been copied and pasted onto WT letter heads to post on other websites as a genuine letter, Please do not do this as it weakens the arguement of any trying to use the letter to reason with others. I can email a scanned copy of this letter to any who would like a copy.
  • Gadget
    Gadget
    I'm interested in what everyone thinks of it, but mostly what information I can send to her to make her think again.

I was thinking of sending a copy of the QFR where it was stated the joining the YMCA even to just use the gym was a disfellowshipping offence because it meant you agreed with their principles instead of relyin on Jehovah.

• Legolas
    Legolas

Here go to this link and print off all you need to prove the lettere to be a lie.That's what I did when the elders came to visit us June 27.

http://www.randytv.com/secret/unitednations.htm

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

It seems to me that the orgs defence is that they were using the UN not the other way round.

In the United Nations' DPI press release regarding the WTS' association with the UN http://www.watchtowerinformationservice.org/ngo2.htm ,it states

“The principle purpose of association of non-governmental organizations with the United Nations Department of Public Information is the redissemination of information in order to increase public understanding of the principles, activities and achievements of the United Nations and its Agencies.”

Well did they?

I'll have to leave it to others with better access to WTS publications to do the more research but looking on the official WT website and doing a search for UNICEF seems to me that the WTS were not only aware of this arrangement but carrying it out.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

so they didnt notice the offending language for 10 years

and then they discontinue association only after being found out

and they still do not explain this stance in a watchtower even though they feel they did nothing wrong and they are aware that many more people are coming to a knowledge of it

disrespectful and dismissive of genuinely sincere and puzzled jws..who they feel they have no responsibility to answer to

• Pole
    Pole

The WTS liers have their standard reply that will appease most dubs since most dubs do not really want to know about the UN thing.
    I guess a better question to ask if someone is planning on sending a letter asking about the UN association is:
    Did you publish any articles either in the Watchtower of Awake magazines and send them to the DPI of the UN to fulfill the NGO membership criteria? Please answer yes or no.
    Pole

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I was thinking of sending a copy of the QFR where it was stated the joining the YMCA even to just use the gym was a disfellowshipping offence because it meant you agreed with their principles instead of relyin on Jehovah.

lol... great idea! Something tells me THAT particular question will not be published.

Hell, give it a try and see what happens!

• greendawn
    greendawn

The question is can the R & F act in that way and not suffer sanctions as ones associating with satanic beastly and blasphemous political organisations?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Ok...They taught that the UN is the wild beast of Revelation. What are they doing having any contact whatsoever with the beast...even if it was only to use the Library....in the first place? Would they use the Catholic Church's library....and join to use it if they had to? What kind of convoluted thinking is that? They condemn churches for having any dealings with the UN....calling them harlots. So let me get this straight... It's ok to get into bed with the Wild beast of Revelation...if it gets you access to their library. Sheesh!

Coffee

• Pole
    Pole
    For a balanced view of the United Nations organisation, please see The Watchtower of October 1, 1995, page 7, of which a photocopy is enclosed.

Isn't it really kind of the Faithful and Discreet to tell dubs which Watchtower publication gives them a balanced view of the topic in question under given circumstances? This way the troubled sister knew she shouldn't refer to the "Revelation Climax" book to get a balanced view on the matter. At least not this time. How helpful!
    Pole

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit