JW funeral for atheist

by littlerockguy 5 Replies latest jw experiences

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I just got home from being out of town. I went to my uncle's funeral who died early this week. He was in his 80s. He professed the other day in his deathbed when a nurse asked him if he believed in God and he answered, "hell no!" and he despised the JW religion which influenced my grandfather back in the days of Rutherford. The majority of his brothers and sisters (my mother being one) are JWs and since he didn't have service arrangements, one of my uncles and aunt got an elder to give a talk at the graveside. So I was confronted with questions like, what have you been doing? where do you live now? what congregation, etc. by the elder's wife. I told her I haven't gone to a meeting since I moved and you would have thought I slapped her in the face. And then more questions. Thank God her husband started speaking to get everybody ready for the service. I can only imagine the gossip going around assuming what I have been up to. They weren't from the cong I use to go to but from one closeby. Of all places to run into some not related; my uncle's funeral, someone who hated religion of any kind. My mother's youngest brother didn't even show up at all and pissed my mother off and she called him a "fanatic". I said, "no mom, he's just being a model JW, he is the elder in the family after all; unless you are really deeply into it, you are nobody. I can't help but to think that the elder only did it to turn in time since there were a few nonbelievers there. When we get in the car I told my mother what I thought about some of the things I have learned since not going and it wasn't very positive. It probably sounded strange coming from someone who use to be so gung ho about it at one time.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

sorry for your loss littlerock.

and, i can't believe that! they knew he did not believe in god, and yet they still got the last word in??!!

that's wrong. but then again, he should have specified in his will i guess.

(makes note to go out and get will done)

TS

• Daunt
    Daunt

So sad... should have went with dignity with people knowing how he really was. Crazy.... I wouldn't be able to sit there without cracking a few heads if i went there and listened to it.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Sorry for your loss, but I'll bet your Uncle was smiling about the conversation you had. Talking to your Mom like that was Great! At least this occasion gave you the opportunity to get some words out!

AuntieJane

• M.J.
    M.J.

I feel for you and what you had to go through there.

• rebel8
    rebel8

There are many beautiful ways to say goodbye to someone that do not involve religion. It's sad when people try to memorialize their loved ones with religious ideology they didn't even believe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit