I married a JW

by out of the box 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• out of the box
    out of the box

I had stated before that I escaped a worldly abusive man and went into the 'truth'. I got baptised after a year and then a few young men were approaching me as 'marriage' material. When I think back I was pushed into baptism because it was time, I had been studying 'long enough' as the girl who studied with me said.

The Ministerial servants came to the house 'with the perspective man' in tow. One brought me a plant!!! It was all 'social'. I thought it was odd that a married brother would come to visit me with a single brother! I was sooooooo dumb! I finally picked one (the wrong one I might add).

I was 'divorced' and this young brother was a bit bothered by that, but kept coming around. We became friends and did things together. I found out later that lots of tattle-tails were reporting our every move! Much to their dismay we did NOTHING off color or un-family like. My kids were always around or someone else. Then the visit came from an elder. 'As you know we do not believe in dating unless marriage is the end result'. This pushed us into a fast paced trail to the alter (figuratively speaking)!!! After a 6 month friendship we were told to get engaged or leave each other!!! He was so kind to everyone in the congregation and his brother who was a Bethel brother brought him into the 'truth'. The elders told me that being single was not good for me and that my two children badly needed the dicipline of a dad!!!

Then, of course the good friend of mine did not want to lose me, so he proposed. We talked and talked and this is what he wanted to do. We announced our engagement. Then, 'you guessed it' 6 months later, another visit by an elder. 'As you know we do not believe in being engaged longer than 6 months'. You will need to set a date!!! Mind you we had NOT had sex because it was wrong and we were barely intimate. I felt deeply about this friend and after all, this was the 'truth' and the end was coming and we could go through it together! We announced the wedding date and planned a small civil ceremony. All private and quiet. We went to the Sunday meeting and POW! The whole congregation was there and they planned the reception afterwards and everything! I was not allowed to do anything! They did it all! A few of the brothers were in a band (surprise to me) and they played, and they had invited my family!!! It was NOT a pleasant time at all! Then they gave us gifts of a couple of days away in a hotel in New Hampshire where we could honeymoon!

Well, the honeymoon was horrible, being thrown into this intimate time together..... you guessed it we had to adapt to each other and he was not happy being suddenly 'trapped' as he put it! The marriage lasted 7 years of friendship and one son came of it (from the few times we did have sex). He got disfellowshipped for smoking and I had to remake a new life! He eventually let me know he had done a lot of drugs before going into the JWs and returned to that life and graduated to Cocaine. He is a sickly man now trying to piece his life together and I have moved on. No bitterness, just stating the events.

I look back now, and the 9 years that I was a JW is a fast blurr, thank God! I can't say they were a waste, because I have a wonderful son from that experience who is so loving and loves people and we have a great relationship. None of us are JWs any longer. My kids hated it, and are so glad we got out. When I look back, I wish I had waited and not listened to the elders. I would have been so much stronger without that weight tied around my neck! Seems like they wanted to 'put me in my place' under some brother and out of their hair.

out of the box

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Congratulations on your freedom!

Nina

• greendawn
    greendawn

Sad to hear about how the elders were pushing you I don't think there are six month limits I know two jws who were engaged for years before marriage. But that was back in the 1980's.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

Welcome, I think I must have missed your first post, look forward to more.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Uggg.... your story reminds me of all of the pressure applied to young people regarding dating and marriage.

After I left the bOrg it took me a looong time to learn how to "date". At first I was always scared to death because I was programmed to think I was supposed to marry any girl I went out with even though I hardly knew her.

Just imagine, first time out and I'm looking at her thinking: "Do I really want to marry her?"

• RandomTask
    RandomTask

It is experiences like yours that show how damaging their religion is.

No, no one was killed or abused, but what a waste of your most precious resource, your life. I am sorry that you had to go through that

• Carol
    Carol

I am sooo glad I faded in the 70's, I missed a lot of this madness! I'm also so sorry to hear about your forced marriage, but as you've said you were at least blessed (I still believe in Jehovah, but not the WTB&TS) to have your children!

Welcome aboard, this is a great group and it's really great to have a place to vent and share!

Carol

• freedom96
    freedom96

A belated welcome to the board, and glad to hear that things are looking better for you.

I remember too well all the pressure on marrying the one you are dating.

• out of the box
    out of the box

Thank you so much for your support on this board!

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Welcome.

I'm sorry to hear that you got dragged into the borg and I'm glad you made it out.

cj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit