Helpful JWs

by greendawn 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

We generally hear negative stories about the JWs but were there any who did an act of kindness towards you that really helped you out?

• daystar
    daystar

I see you have received a landfall of responses to this.

I'm sure it happens on occasion, but I had no such experiences of note.

However, my parents (still JW) let a poor sister rent a room from them for next to nothing. The 'sister' would moan and complain about her not knowing how she would be able to pay my dad the mere pittance he was asking for in the first place. He was very understanding.

She moved out into an apartment. And that is when he found out she had been stashing money away so she could buy all new furniture. And I mean all new. So all that time she was trying to weasel out of paying... $100 a month, all bills included, she was able to stash away over a grand.

My father is really a pretty good man. He has a good sense of honor and integrity. This hurt him a great deal. I guarantee he won't be as eager to help some poor brother or sister who claims to be in need again. Quite sad as if she had just been honest with him, it probably would have gone differently.

• Ellie
    Ellie

I really wanted to move to a new town and a jw found me a house to rent, I could say it was entirely unselfish of her, however I suspect she did it so that she could start a study with me.

• daystar
    daystar
    however I suspect she did it so that she could start a study with me.

I think that is one of the biggest problems. So much "good" is done for appearances sake only.

• Pole
    Pole

Sure - a lot of good dubs are helpful. As a witness I helped some and some helped me. The trouble is that it was all ultimately conditional. The real question is: how many JWs would help 'an apostate'? And how many apostates would help a JW? Unconditionally.

Pole

• Honesty
    Honesty
    were there any who did an act of kindness towards you that really helped you out?

Yes, when the elder asked me if I thought the WT Governing Body was appointed by Jehovah he really helped me see how demonised the cult really is. He probably helped me get out a lot faster by that question.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Daystar I was wondering if there would be any replies at all for this topic but it's good to try and see the other side though no doubt the overall picture with the dubs is justifiably a negative one.

• undercover
    undercover
    how many JWs would help 'an apostate'? And how many apostates would help a JW? Unconditionally.

Unfortunately due to the brainwashing, not too many JWs would help an "apostate"...but I would gladly help a lot of JWs if they needed it. I am not an official "apostate" as I am not DFd but have been inactive for a few years now, but I still have contact with some old JW friends and I have helped them. I'm sure if I was officially "out" they would not ask for my help but I would still be there if they needed it.

There are some that I wouldn't help, I'm glad to not have to even speak to them, but for the most part, I don't dislike the average JW. They have been brainwashed and really don't realize just how bad they are. Remember, we were one once ourselves.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Sure there are decent dubs. I can recall some that took time to help me out when I was growing up. I think most here would say that we don't hold animosity towards individual dubs for the most, we despise the organization. Many seemed like decent people that were just misguided after being sucked into the borg.

• Grace
    Grace

No, I know of none whatsoever. Anyone who was helpful to me did so out of their own personal gain (i.e. counting hours for witnessing).

They are so void of God-given human-like qualities (such as love, generosity, grace), that they would literally step on someone bleeding in the gutter. And if that someone is DAed or DFed, they would both step on and kick in the head someone who was bleeding in the gutter.

After all, is this not what they do in an emotional way?

Grace to you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit