My brainwashed dad

by lilbit 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• lilbit
    lilbit

Even though my dad is a JW I always thought that he was a reasoning man. When I married my airforce husband he didnt really get upset, when I told him I needed to study the witnesses for myself to see if I truely believed the teachings he encouraged me to do so.

Ive been calling him now and then to discuss the things I have been researching ( alittle bit at a time though because I didnt want to freak him out) A couple of months ago I told him about the UN thing, I offered to send him the link and he requested that I send him a hard copy of the NGO letter. I sent the letter out last week hoping that when he got it he would be furious and start calling elders demanding answers. When I called yesterday to ask what he thought about what I sent him. The man very calmly replied "dont worry honey Ill look into it but Im sure there is a very good reason for it" ( as you can imagine my jaw just about hit the floor) then he told me he loved me and that he had to go get ready for the bookstudy.

I had been hoping that if I could just show my dad how messed up the org is that he would be out in a flash but now I see how truely brainwashed he is. Im just dreading the day I have to look him in the eye and tell him that I will never under any circumstances set foot back in a kingdom hall as long as I live. Ive been having dreams about doing just that almost nightly and they almost always end with me screaming at my parents to wake the F*&! up and look what their insane beliefs.

Ok done rambling now I just had to share that with people who would understand.

Lilbit

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

I know how you feel, I brought up the un thingy to a family member also. All I got was "What can I say, they made a mistake!" What ever!

• kls
    kls

Same here Lilbit but with my husband . I got the same response and it was really hard to take, for them to have the truth about the truth right in front of them and all they can do is make excuses for the wt cause the wt does no wrong.

Sorry Lilbit , if the blind would only see.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Afraid we have all had the same response from dub family on this issue. We learn of this gross wrongdoing , we see the cover up excuse , have that excuse disproved and blown apart by the brave and determined net community - and still they won't respond to it.

"The Society must have had a good reason" they say... "What do you and your 'apostate friends' know about anything?"

Kind of reminds me of the animals in Orwell's "Animal Farm". They trusted their leaders only to get exploited and stitched uo..

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Look at it as seedplanting. Any other doubts he may encounter will build on the doubts you plant.

-ithinkisee

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

It is the same here. Although my father is reasoning more with me maybe.

But at least he is still talking to you, and did not shun you (I think?).
    He did encourage you to study the believe, so I guess he is brainwashed but honest. THere is still hope for him...

Danny

• luna2
    luna2

Guys, sometimes they just need to think about it for a bit. I didn't react much at all the first time my friend told me about the UN issue. JW's are so used to thinking that anything negative is being blown out of proportion or that it's an individual's error and not congregation-wide or originating with the GB. They see it as just more persecution being heaped upon Jehovah's organization by Satan.

It takes a while to recognize that these issues are real and they should be very, very troubled by them.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

When I brought up the UN thing to my JW relatives all I got for my trouble was dirty angry looks and red-faced denials so intense I thought I was going to get my ass kicked. They flat out refused to look at anything to prove them differently and wholesale attrributed it to apostate lies.

• chrissy
    chrissy

Hi lilbit,

We assume our parents, sharing the same dna and all, will understand things if only we could just present the facts to them clearly enough. Unfortunately, I can testify from my own estranged father/daughter relationship, it is amazing how far the apple can fall from the tree in terms of thinking processes, deep psychological attachments, and their seemingly unbreakable codependency to the wts.

It is admirable that you have the courage to try and help him rationalize things. He should feel proud to have an independent and rational daughter.

Chrissy

• lilbit
    lilbit

well my dad called me today and I guess everything has sunk in a bit because now he is trying to search for answers to this. Yay my Dad isnt just a drone!!!!!!!!! Heres to hopeing this will start him on the road to realizing the truth about the truth.

lilbit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit