Anyone ever debated with Ray Franz re. EVOLUTION?

by GetBusyLiving 16 Replies latest jw friends

• one
  • blondie
    blondie

I thought "creationism" was the belief that God created the earth in 6 24-hour days?

I don't think that Ray Franz believes that. But I do believe he thinks God created everything; life on earth over 6 creative days, of long periods of time.

But there are a variety of beliefs.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/wic.html#continuum

Young-Earth Creationism

Young Earth Creationists ( YEC ) claim a literal interpretation of the Bible as a basis for their beliefs. They believe that the earth is 6000 to 10,000 years old, that all life was created in six literal days, that death and decay came as a result of Adam & Eve's Fall, and that geology must be interpreted in terms of Noah's Flood. However, they accept a spherical earth and heliocentric solar system. Young-Earth Creationists popularized the modern movement of scientific creationism by taking the ideas of George McCready Price, a Seventh Day Adventist, and publishing them in The Genesis Flood (Whitcomb & Morris 1961). YEC is probably the most influential brand of creationism today.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I don't see a topical fit here.

Ray's personal opinions about matters such as creation vs. evolution seem irrelevant to me. His purpose in life may well have been to free many slaves from the Watchtower organization. While I consider that I owe my freedom to him in that sense, I would not expect that his views would have significant impact on mine in unrelated areas. I doubt he would be too interested in that sort of debate.

His emails are windy I will say. But what humility the man has to answer them all. I had mine all on file when my old computer took a poop. I sure wish I had them back. His books were the key to unlock my fears and for that I will always be thankful to him.

Jeff

• blondie
    blondie

Right on, AK - Jeff.

Do what I do, I save my important stuff on CDs or floppies (yes I still have some).

Backup, Backup, Backup

Ray's books reveal the fallacies of the WTS.

I like the fact that he points you to the thoughts of others, several others. It teaches you how to research a topic and also not to be his follower. I always appreciate his sharing his research and the thoughts of others.

BTW, where did any get the idea that Ray Franz debates anything? When I read his books, it seemed to a careful construction of what the WTS says publicly, privately through his experiences. Just the facts as he experienced them and a great deal of supportng material.

Discussion is a much better word as I see it.

www.commentarypress.com

The best place to go to know what he thinks; there are articles, his books, and an e-mail connection. I always uncomfortable when threads like this start considering he never comes here. It seems best to go direct to Ray Franz if you have a question only he can answer.

Love, Blondie

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I thought "creationism" was the belief that God created the earth in 6 24-hour days?

I don't think that Ray Franz believes that. But I do believe he thinks God created everything; life on earth over 6 creative days, of long periods of time.

You're right, of course, Blondie!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    His books were the key to unlock my fears and for that I will always be thankful to him

Me too!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

the term "creationism" can refer to either old earth creationists, or young earth creationists. they're both "creationists". from wikipedia:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit