Great video to open eyes, minds, and hearts

by Check_Your_Premises 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Rod P
    Rod P

CYP,

Great idea. I think it would be a valuable contribution to expose the common denominators and characteristics of "Cultism" from as many perspectives as possible.

I am particularly interested in "Comparative Religion", especially in the area of the cults. I am trying to create certain charts that show side-by-side comparisons of all the different religions (horizontally) in terms of what each of them teaches/endorses/accepts for each of the doctrines/principles/practices/traditions, etc (vertically).

I am also preparing some comprehensive charts on the historical timelines of all of the various religions around the world, both Christian and Non-Christian, showing the various movements, break-aways, branches, denominations, etc. as they occurred thru time.

I became a JW back in the early 1960's. While doing field service, I met some Mormons, and converted to the Mormon religion. I got very involved in the controversies surrounding the Book of Abraham (which is part of their Pearl of Great Price, in which are some facsimiles with Egyptian hieroglyphics.) The Book of Abraham is supposed to contain the words of Abraham while he was in Egypt. I also dug very deeply into the problems with the Book of Mormon in respect of its geography, its teachings, the origin of the Book of Mormon peoples, and why in so many places has the Book of Mormon been edited and changed from its original "translation" by Joseph Smith.

I used to subscribe to the Plain Truth magazine back in the 1960's, and I actually met with one of their representatives as a follow-up. I couldn't meet them at their place of worship. We had to meet in a restaurant first. I guess they had to screen you first before they would reveal where they meet. I thought that was very odd and suspicious. Then, some time later, the big split happened between Herbert W and Garner Ted., which I followed with interest.

I was struck with how similar many of their teachings were with that of the JW's, while at the same time, noticed there were many differences. I really did think the whole thing was a cult from the get-go.

Rod P.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises
    I am also preparing some comprehensive charts on the historical timelines of all of the various religions around the world, both Christian and Non-Christian, showing the various movements, break-aways, branches, denominations, etc. as they occurred thru time

I think a lot of that work has already been done for you. I have found books that cover those subjects, I just haven't had time to find a good one. Any charts or anything you put in electronic format would likely be very appreciated here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit