Putting on the new personality

by mrs rocky2 8 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

I remember sitting through countless meetings, convention, and assemblies and having the scripture about ‘putting away the old personality’ and ‘putting on the new personality’ hounded into us repeatedly. In retrospect, it appears WT wanted us to give up any personality or individualism and conform to a new personality based on WT mandates and become a mindless drone. I am so happy to be free to be me and no longer driven by guilt to conform to a man’s interpretation of God.

When we lose the right to be different, we lose the privilege to be free. - Charles Evans Hughes,

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

reminds me of the Borg

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

Resistance is futile. You will be absorbed. You are so right on! Maybe that's why they didn't want us to go see the Star Trek movies !?!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Good point you make, Mrs Rocky.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Every organization, even work place, changes your personality to some extent. I work in a place where you would not understand us at all when we talk and how we act, unless you worked there and were not even a religion. Just our work personality and I act different at home. Much like the Witnesses.

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2

This personality change we were encouraged to make encompassed every part of our lives - work, home, not just at JW functions. I tried so hard to conform and for a while I think I made a fairly good show. But it required so much effort, much more effort than putting on the 'professional face' for work. I don't think it is natural to suppress the creative spirit. But then again, there isn't a lot of creativity required to be a window washer, janitor, housekeeper, bus driver....

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

I believe the 'putting on of the new personality' is part of the reason life after leaving the dubs is so difficult. To leave is to reclaim ones own identity, and individuality. It takes time to discover who you truly are apart from the b0rg and let one's creativity flow. Knowing the truth about the lie has made the transformation much easier for me now.

• jula71
    jula71

One thing to keep in mind, this change is a common thread among cults. It is always in the form of mind control, built on a platform of acceptable behavior and is kept in check with fear.

• mrs rocky2
    mrs rocky2
    One thing to keep in mind, this change is a common thread among cults. It is always in the form of mind control, built on a platform of acceptable behavior and is kept in check with fear.
    I believe the 'putting on of the new personality' is part of the reason life after leaving the dubs is so difficult. To leave is to reclaim ones own identity, and individuality. ;It takes time to discover who you truly are apart from the b0rg and let one's creativity flow.

So true - it is so insidious that this brainwashing is done under the guise of pleasing God. I know I didn't see it as brainwashing. If I had, I wouldn't have remained a loyal JW for so many years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit