Entitled to Reach Out For Privileges?

by FairMind 19 Replies latest watchtower bible

• garybuss
    garybuss

To all who are not getting what you want in the Watch Tower Society . . . quit donating.

• sir82
    sir82

Scully,

Per a letter to the BOE (can't remember the date, it is not a recent one though), the basic idea is that "we are not policemen, we are not required to enforce Caesar's laws". So, if they know of an undocumented alien, they don't tell any authority about it.

However, such a one is not "exemplary", in that he is knowingly breaking "Caesar's laws". So, he cannot have any "privileges of service"--can't be aux. pioneer, pioneer, MS, or elder, can't go to Bethel, can't pray for the congregation. However, the letter specifically enumerates the "privileges" such a one can have--commenting at meetings, talks 2-4 in the school, and of course field service.

Within the past year or 2, when the COs visited, one of their "notes only--can't read the original document" points at the elder's meeting was that illegal aliens are now permitted to work on Quick-build Kingdom Hall projects. So it seems that the pool of workers in that area has shrunk enough that suddenly this "restricted privilege" is now allowed.

Don't mean to highjack the thread, I think I may start a new topic on this.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    One of he paragraphs in yesterday’s Watchtower lesson spoke of brothers presumptuously reaching out for positions or privileges within the congregation to which they are not entitled. The indication was that doing this shows arrogance and lack of humility. No one commented on this WT statement when the paragraph was covered and my guess is because it made no sense. Positions and privileges have always held out to brothers as something for which all should reach out. In fact if a brother is not reaching out he is usually considered spiritually weak. Do you think that WT comment implies that the organization is drawing lines as to WHO should reach out and WHO shouldn’t? I feel that the WT comment was insulting.

it is strange, shows arrogance and a lack of humility, hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm did they mention anything about sisters reaching out, or are they still not allowed, that's insulting.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

There were many things insulting with that WT article.

The part that talked about how the timeslips helps to keep tabs on who is "slacking off".

The part you mention about reaching out ... yeah RIGHT.

The part about not giving undue honor to those that have more "privileges". Can anyone say "pioneer picnic"?

And of course ... the fact that they omitted the most important part of the them text - about how "undeserved kindness" is a "gift from God".

Also, how they slyly changed from "not due to works" to "not due to works alone" by the end of the article.

Sneaky bastards.

-ithinkisee

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

According to the WTS, they have "volunteers" for everything. However, it is "conditional volunteering".

When I was attending meetings, I wanted to do the mics. I was told I couldn't unless I became an unbaptized publisher. So, I became an unbaptized publisher and then I was told I had to be baptized. I decided to forget about it and let it go.

Here I was, enthusiastically trying to help the congregation, and I got turned away because of my status. I excelled in electronics, but some schmo who cleaned offices was better suited for the job.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

Ha ... they didn't reappoint me as a ministerial servant in my new hall (no I wasn't bitter either ... I laughed at their ridiculous standards).

1. It gave me time to start my own business.
    2. It gave me time to spend with my family.
    3. It gave me time to learn the "truth" about the truth ....

So here I am ...

-ithinkisee

• riotgirlpeeps
    riotgirlpeeps

That article, I agree with Ithink esp on the aspect of time tracking. There were so many levels of wrong with that article it's hard to know where to start.

Quite amusing and scary to see people nodding in agreement with it then.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

So much for spiritual goals huh?

• sinis
    sinis

Ok. Can someone show me where the bible specifically has TWO offices? Timothy in the original Greek starts off using the term "supervisor" then goes on to speak of what is required as a "servant" or "serving" to the other brothers. In my opinion it speaks of one and the same - supervisor = servant/serving. Not TWO "classes" or "ranks". Perhaps I am wrong. Here is the original text in Greek:

http://www.scripture4all.org/OnlineInterlinear/NTpdf/1ti3.pdf

• sinis
    sinis

Forgot to mention that the WTS in the NWT specifically identifies TWO roles, Elder and Ministerial Servant. Yet the Greek in my opinion does not infer this but rather speaks of a person acting in a supervisory role or servant. I'm sure Paul was not inferring that such a position weild absolute power but rather the position was more than likely someone who could organize gatherings and take a spiritual lead in that they may have been entrusted with the letters/documents sent to the cong and required to inform the other members. I'm sure these also had a role in setting some straight by reviewing what was in the scrolls/letters. To me this sounds more loving and not power hungry as we see today. I've seen many elders take there position to the extreme and they won't even let others question there decisions or methods as they are "all knowing" (at least in their mind).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit