What to tell the children?

by mtbatoon 4 Replies latest social family

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

My inquisitive 10 year old asked why her cousins can't have a blood transfusion this weekend. I must admit I do still feel uncomfortable discussing anything that might vilify my JW family, despite some shunning in my early 20's things have settled down and we now enjoy a workable relationship.

So if you where in my shoes what would you of said?

• greendawn
    greendawn

Does that mean that you have a policy of not antagonising their WTS beliefs? In that case one has no margin to say much, otherwise one can say that the blood policy is in a constant state of change becoming ever less restrictive and that in Bulgaria the jws are already allowed to have transfusions. That should get them thinking.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

As we have this working relationship at present I am taking my wife's advice and refraining from any dialogue with my family that may jeopardise their relationship my children. My children are intuitively aware of what not to say so there is a certain amount of free range in the subjects I can discuss with them. That said however it is also important to tell the truth without ruining the love that my daughter has for my mother. For instance I could say that nanny just believes other peoples blood is bad, or I could say that she and all my siblings are promoting the work of an evil mind control cult and would be happy for any of her cousins to die on the operating table to show the strength of their allegiance.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I'd just say they dont belive in it, much like xmas, birthdays etc. Id explain that Jehovahs Witnesses dont believe in a lot of things, but as family we love them regardless. The thing is, you have to be truthful to them about it, especially as they get older and their questions possibly become more complicated.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    So if you where in my shoes what would you of said?

This is what my JW mother said when explaining heathen practices (LOL): "Yes, your cousin ___ and his family are going to be doing <insert prohibited practice du jour>. You know what we believe about the practice of <blah-blah>. His/her parents are doing what they believe is right, even though you and I know it's not right. So it wouldn't be nice of us to say anything to them about them being wrong."

You could use that technique, no?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit