Any body here drive a skoolie??

by Eyebrow2 9 Replies latest jw friends

• Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

After the long drive from TX to PA, then NH, then back to PA and back to TX in a 8 passenger van w/out a/c...my husband and I have decided it is time to get something that is bit more comfortable for the long trips.

We had thought about your typical motorhomes (too expesive and not always that safe), camper trailers and conversion vans. Well, the making over our van into a conversion van wouldn't make any sense, because there still wouldn't be much extra room, even with a roof, and we would lose as seat if we put in more comfortable seats. Since we will soon be 8 in the house (sister moving in...not a new baby, thank goodness!) that didn't make much sense.

We got to talking about buses...in particular school buses. School buses are safe, and you can convert them. We have done a lot of research online and have found a lot of cool skoolies, as they are called, and have gotten a lot of good advice. It is amazing what you can do if you have the time and money. I am particularly excited because if we get a diesel engine, we can experiment with biodiesel...even make our own.

Has anyone here had or have a skoolie? Do you have pictures?? I am really excited about this project, and figured there just has to be some peeps on this board that have been in one, or own one, etc.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

dont you think it is bit perverted riding a schoolie

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

How about a Mini?

I mean its 1) comfortable 2) relatively cheap and 3) gets good mileage.

I remember seeing someone in my old 'hood with a skoolie, but they never seemed to use it. The big problem is that, when camping, it probably doesn't feel as secure as a motor home (especially w/o blacked-out windows).

• damselfly
    damselfly

My man is in the process of looking for a van to turn into a 4 wheel drive shag'n wag'n. Congrats on the biodeisel idea, we're hoping to do the same.

Damselfly

• Satanus
    Satanus

Classisist said

it probably doesn't feel as secure as a motor home (especially w/o blacked-out windows).

That wouldn't be that hard to fix w a strip of sheet metal, a quarter inch drill, a bunch of pop rivets, and a can of black spray paint.

S

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Might be kind of cool, eyebrow2! Can we paint it like the Partridge Family bus? Please? We could call it the Apostabus!

Nina

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Nina, we could have the slogan "Caution: Nervous Apostate Driving" similar to the Partridge Family bus.

TresHappy

WatchesTV Land Too Much Class

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

wow, texas and no ac, that seems unbearable to me.

• RichieRich
  • Eyebrow2
    Eyebrow2

My husband wants a mini cooper..he may get one next year if he behaves. I would feel much safe in a skoolie than in a normal motorhome, because of the steel construction. And you don't have to black out any of the windows if you don't want..you can be very creative. Check a few out at: http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/schoolbusconversionuts/ www.skoolie.net HAHAHA...oh my god you guys are sooo funny!!! Richie...I love your bus hahah.

Nina...hmmm....don't know about that...we could informally call it the apostabus and maybe I could occaisionally use it to pick up visiting apostates at the airport for visiting apostates hahah. But, I would be using it to visit my mom, and I don't think that would go over well hahah.

Actually, we were going to call it bable fish, or heart of gold, or transgalatic gargleblaster, or the whale and the petunia...something from Hitchhilers. If I can keep the stop sign that comes out, we will re paint it with the Don't Panic guy hahah...

We lost the bid...ack...someone else bid more than we can afford, so we are searching for another bus.

Maybe if we ever find one we can have a party to welcome it home, and maybe a party when it is finished (or maybe a party in between and my very good close friends here on JWD can come help paint it hahah...they would be supplied with beer of course, hahah)

In the meantime, I am trying to learn all the differences with biodiesel (you can buy it or you can make it) or using waste veggi oil (getting it free from restuarants and putting it trhough some process...yadda yadda)

The thought of being almost green driving a diesel vehicle is very cool. =)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit