New Light (from the 50s) "Religion" now acceptable word

by Odrade 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Odrade
    Odrade

"In 1951, advocates of true worship learned something significant about the term ‘religion.’ Some of them could well recall 1938 when, at times, they carried the thought-provoking sign ‘Religion Is a Snare and a Racket.’ From their standpoint then, all ‘religion’ was unchristian, from the Devil. But The Watchtower of March 15, 1951, approved of using the adjectives ‘true’ and ‘false’ respecting religion. Furthermore, the absorbing book What Has Religion Done for Mankind? (published in 1951 and released during the ‘Clean Worship’ Assembly at Wembley Stadium, London, England) had this to say: ‘Taken according to the way it is used, "religion" in its simplest definition means a system of worship, a form of worship, without regard to whether it is true or false worship. This agrees with the meaning of the Hebrew word for it, ’a·boh·dáh, which literally means "service", regardless of to whom it is rendered.’ Thereafter, the expressions ‘false religion’ and ‘true religion’ became common among Jehovah’s witnesses."—Page 225.

In answer to a reader’s question, the August 15, 1951, issue of The Watchtower stated: "None should feel upset by the use of the term ‘religion’. Because we use it does not put us in the class of the tradition-bound false religions, no more than does the calling of ourselves Christians put us in with the false Christians of Christendom." Far from being a compromise, this new understanding of the word "religion" enabled Jehovah’s people to widen the gulf between true and false worship."

From that "bReaking free from False religion" article.

Significance? None whatsoever, it just gave me a really good laugh and thought I'd share. Hmmm, maybe in a few years they will start using the expression "true" NGO, and "false" NGO, to distinguish themselves from the other harlots. hehe.

Odrade (easily amused)

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

I am more thinking about an article: It is not wrong to use the term cult. But we are not a false cult, but a true cult ......

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    In 1951, advocates of true worship learned something significant about the term ‘religion.’

Obviously, before that, they didn't have access to dictionaries.

• Odrade
    Odrade

LMAO!

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Od,

Even before I stopped believing the WT, I used to say while still a beleiver:"boy the WT sure makes a big thing out of thier mistakes when they correct them. Stupid little changes that make the front page news as far as the Society is concerned" I didn't come right out and say this but came really close so that others knew I didn't respect them.

• undercover
    undercover

Back in the day when I was growing up in the "truth", we didn't even use the word "church" except to belittle other religions. We were never allowed to call the Kingdom Hall a church. But I've noticed over the past several years that JWs now use the word "chuch" when referring to the Kingdom Hall. I've noticed it more with the newer JWs and usually when talking to non-believers who might not know what a Kingdom Hall is.

Little by little, the JWs and the WTS are trying to become a mainstream religion. It might not happen in our lifetime but eventually, as they drop the more controversial doctrines and policies, they'll just be another religion along with the many others, trying to gain converts to keep the coffers full.

• lilybird
    lilybird

It never ceases to amaze me how the GB can keep changing their doctrines on different beliefs,,,, and put it down to "new light" and the faithful mind-numb Dubs just ride along with it.....my mother-in-law gets so excited everytime they do a complete turn on some doctrine...It seems it is spoke to them as some divine inspired revelation.. and they are just so fortunate(not lucky) to be priviledge to it

• blondie
    blondie

Before 1950, all religion was false, ergo, the WTS was not a religion. That explains the slogan, religion is a snare and a racket (not false religion is a snare and a racket).

In 1950's the WTS started releasing parts of the NWT. Using their so-called new understanding of the ancient Greek and Hebrew, they reasoned that now they were a religion. This caused quite a confusion for the oldtimers who had been taught that religion was something hated by God and began in Babylon with Nimrod.

Over the years, the WTS has introduced other new ideas and based them on their so-called clearer understanding of the original Bible languages. The NWT has even been revised over the years and the rank and file have not been told that.

1970 Revision Hebrews 1:6 But when he again brings his First-born into the inhabited earth, he says: "And let all God's angels worship him."

1984 Revision Hebrews 1:6 But when he again brings his First-born into the inhabited earth, he says: "And let all God's angels do obeisance to him."

• blondie
    blondie

*** w51 3/15 p. 191 Questions from Readers

In the past we regarded "religion" as anything that was against God’s will. Now many brothers are using the expressions "true religion" and "false religion" to make a distinction. Is this advisable?—D. D., California.

The brothers are correct in using the qualifying adjectives "true" and "false" respecting religion, so as not to be misunderstood, especially by those outside the organization. In the past we have had to do so much needless explanation and extricating of ourselves from embarrassing positions by not being specific on this

I wonder what embarrassed them?

• Odrade
    Odrade
    In the past we have had to do so much needless explanation .

*larf* seems like they are still stuck in that hole.

... so, tell me, why can I wear a party hat and whack a pinata but not wear a party hat and blow out a birthday candle? hmmmm?

enter: needless explanation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit