Calling Music Industry People

by LouBelle 10 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Hi there.

I need a bit of help in the marketing of an artist. He has got 4 amazing songs at the moment & is busy recording another 6. He is currently working on his music career in London. This boy has got the voice & the looks & am pretty stunned by his sound.

The thing is I"m not clued up about this stuff at all & am not too sure how to approach marketing him. Should we send his profile, along with songs to all record labels???? Is there a cost effective way to distribute independently??? I'm truly a novice when it comes to marketing people. I can market a magazine.

So any suggestions / comments would be most welcome

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

Check your inbox

M'

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Make sure his music has been copywrited before you start showing the industries. You never know how sleezy they can be sometimes.

Evanescence

• dh
    dh

No offence, but why are you marketing him if...

The thing is I"m not clued up about this stuff at all & am not too sure how to approach marketing him.

Wouldn't it be better for him if you just helped him find a manager who knows what they are doing?

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Dh - I'm not clued up about how the music Industry works is all. I realised within a short space of time that if I can brand a magazine, I need to apply the same methods to him. Actually so far we doing okay, been in meetings, designing covers and all that already.

dh - there are SHARKS out there, but I've hooked up with a local agent through "contacts" here at the magazine I work for and he's kinda showing me the ropes. Besides it's a challenge and it's great learning something new.

Thanks M' for all your advice & to Nostefera????

• gespro
    gespro
    Wouldn't it be better for him if you just helped him find a manager who knows what they are doing?

Not necessarily, dh. We always say,'Get your biggest fan to manage you'. Now, a reputable entertainment lawyer and an agent will have the hookups necessary to fill in the blanks to get the artist heard by the execs but, this business is so funny there is no real foolproof way to break an artist.

LouBelle, you have a PM

gespro

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Loubelle,

Not necessarily, dh. We always say,'Get your biggest fan to manage you'.

I have always found that the best managers are bastards with little interest in music and a lot of interest in making money. If you can hook one of these goons you stand a much better chance of getting your songs out there and heard. Dedicated fans are not always imbued with much business sense and enthusiasm is just not enough to break the game.

These days self-promotion is very cheap. With a home studio, a couple of grand and a bottle of scotch anybody can make a CD. I do not neccessarily think this has enhanced the industry at all, but it has made the lotto that the industry has become a little easier to understand.

Be warned. Every eighteen year old with 4% talent and 96% ego is out there looking for their overnight millions and it is hard for talent to shine through these days. The industry has been a shark pool since the early 70's. There are now so many sharks in the pool that talent and dedication is only slightly important.

Sorry to sound so cynical, I am trying to be realistic. I handle a couple of very well know names and it is hard enough to get them a listening ear - and we know what we are doing.

If you want to try the route of self promotion and avoiud a manager try and get radio time. Find a local radio DJ and pester him constantly to listen to the CD you send ( one of hundreds that he might receive ). If this kid has talent that is not manufactured in the studio it will have an immediacy that may strike a note and get air-time.

Reach the critic in your local paper. Take him / her to lunch, demand they listen on pains of death. Get some background attached to this person so you can use that as 'clout' with record companies and more serious papers etc.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Attributed to Hunter-Thompson, this quote is actually not all his but was added to in different variations. It is however, true to a word.

Good luck - HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

PS - If I recall, one of the posters on this board is a lawyer who specializes in the music industry. I am afraid I have forgotten who it is.

His advice will be worth a lot.

HS

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Gespro - thanks I"ve replied back to you

Hillary - I'm not the one singing - I'm helping him with his marketing stuff. He has been singing and that for some time - has had a little bit of air time - we are currently setting up meetings with our local "BIG" Radio Station & have a meeting with the National Radio Station next week.

Ideally we'd like him to be internationally recognised - I know this is a huge order. We've got the press covered ( I used to work in the entertainment section of newspapers - so have a few contacts there)

We are going to be sending out a good few demos by the end of the week and are doubling that at the end of the month.

Thanks for the advise.

• dh
    dh
    We are going to be sending out a good few demos by the end of the week and are doubling that at the end of the month.

Okay so your demo's...

How many tracks are they? What have you got written on the CD? What is on the case? What does the covering letter say? How have you packaged it? Did you cold call and qualify whether the person you are sending the demo to IS the correct person to send it to at that particular label? Did you include photo's and a brief bio on the artist? Did you include anything else?

A demo should be a lot of things, but it should also not be a lot of things. There are all kinds of ways to get a demo into the hand of the right person... What tricks have you considered using?

I have a little experience in this stuff, so here are my badly organised words on the subject.

I will tell you my favourite way of getting a demo into the hand of the right person!

1- Prepare your demo properly... Meaning the demo should be no more than 3 tracks. (Less if your artists is good enough.), the tracks should grab you within 20 seconds, if they don't, it'll go in the bin. Start with your strongest track. Include your artists full contact information on the body of the CD (CD cases can get lost and you don't want that A & R guy loving the track and then not knowing how to contact the artists)... So put info on the CD body. - Also make sure the genre of all 3 tracks is the same, your artist can diversify once he is established.

2- Include a brief bio of the artist, 10 lines or so on their musical background... Keep it simple and don't rant. Also include a photo.

3- Call the labels you think might be interested in the style of music your artists is performing, and check if they release that type of music. If they do, find out exactly who it is you should send the demo to.

4- Call the person you are going to send the demo to and tell them it is coming, tell them you will call to check if they have received it.

5- Gift wrap the demo in something bright coloured so it looks like a birthday present or something, and get a girl with nice writing to write the label, you can even write all the bio and everything on a birthday card so the guy receiving it is intrigued to look and read.

6- Put your demo CD in the disguised package and send it.

Note: In my experience, the wrapping and the fact that what you are sending in does not look like a typical Demo CD (very blah blah) in an envelope, means that it WILL end up in the hands of the addressee and they will open it (because it will look personal), and maybe, just maybe they will smile and think 'if they made this much effort to get this demo into my hand, maybe it's worth a listen'. Maybe it won't make a scrap of difference, but it's better to stand out and be noticed than send in a brown envelope.

7- Anyways, once you have checked to see if your package has been signed for, because you sent it with DHL, you wait a few days and then call the person you sent it to and see if they have received it and if they have had a chance to listen to it. If they have listened to it, ask them what they thought, and even though they will probably reject the demo because it's 'not what they're looking for right now', ask them for constructive criticism, and ask them if it's okay for you to send future demo's to them.

8- Repeat steps 1-7 on another record co.

Those are my tips on getting a demo into the hands of the right person. It pays to do your homework on the label, the A & R guy, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit