How can they be so full of themselves? Geeeeeeeez

by pennycandy 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

I just read this Watchtower article posted in another thread by wanderlustguy.

I can't believe that the faithful and discreet slave can read such an article, boasting the magnificence of themselves, blatantly declaring themselves tested and approved by Jesus himself, higher than all others, and then say, "Yes, this article is true and good. Send it to the presses." To be read and accepted as truth by millions of people.

For the GB to believe it themselves is crazy enough, but to calculatedly sell it to others takes such unmitigated gall!

Bethel Writing Department lackey: Here's the draft for the March 1st Watchtower study article from the Writing Department. At your convenience, please look it over and let us know if it has your approval.

GB: Let's see, "loyal annointed Christians . . . passed inspection by Jesus . . . faithful over all his belongings . . .obey them without question . . . only road to Jah through f&ds . . . all hail Jehovah's appointed leaders . . . Yep, it looks pretty good. Just add a line about the need to financially support Jesus' personally chosen leaders. Oh, and throw in a picture of a pretty young white boy in Dockers and a blue dress shirt reading a Bible.

Can you imagine the audacity to actually think the Bible, written thousands of years ago, speaks about them personally. "See this scripture here, that's me! God's talking about me!"

I know it's been discussed over and over, but occasionally I see something that clicks on the insanity light in my head and makes me just want to slap some sense into people.

w04 3/1 pp. 13-18 ‘The Faithful Slave’ Passes the Test! ***

‘The

Faithful Slave’ Passes the Test!

"It is the appointed time for the judgment to start with the house of God."—1 Peter 4:17. AT Pentecost 33 C.E., Jesus appointed a "slave" to provide food at the proper time for his "domestics." In 1914, Jesus was enthroned as King, and soon it was time to inspect that "slave." For the most part, he found that the "slave" had proved itself "faithful and discreet." Hence, he appointed it "over all his belongings." (Matthew 24:45-47) However, there was also an evil slave, who was neither faithful nor discreet.

"That Evil Slave"

Jesus spoke of the evil slave immediately after discussing "the faithful and discreet slave." He said: "If ever that evil slave should say in his heart, ‘My master is delaying,’ and should start to beat his fellow slaves and should eat and drink with the confirmed drunkards, the master of that slave will come on a day that he does not expect and in an hour that he does not know, and will punish him with the greatest severity and will assign him his part with the hypocrites. There is where his weeping and the gnashing of his teeth will be." (Matthew 24:48-51) The expression "that evil slave" draws our attention to Jesus’ preceding words about the faithful and discreet slave. Yes, the "evil slave" came from the ranks of the faithful slave. How?

Before 1914, many members of the faithful slave class had high hopes of meeting with the Bridegroom in heaven that year, but their hopes were not fulfilled. As a result of this and other developments, many were disappointed and a few became embittered. Some of these turned to ‘beating’ their former brothers verbally and consorting with "confirmed drunkards," religious groups of Christendom.—Isaiah 28:1-3; 32:6.

These former Christians came to be identified as the "evil slave," and Jesus punished them with "the greatest severity." How? He rejected them, and they lost out on their heavenly hope. They were not, however, immediately destroyed. They first had to endure a period of weeping and gnashing of teeth in "the darkness outside" the Christian congregation. (Matthew 8:12) Since those early days, a few other anointed individuals have shown a similar bad spirit, identifying themselves with the "evil slave." Some of the "other sheep" have imitated their unfaithfulness. (John 10:16) All such enemies of the Christ end up in the same spiritual "darkness outside."

Nonetheless, the faithful and discreet slave went through the same tests as "that evil slave." Rather than becoming embittered, however, they were readjusted. (2 Corinthians 13:11) Their love for Jehovah and their brothers was strengthened. As a result, they have been "a pillar and support of the truth" during these tumultuous "last days."—1 Timothy 3:15; 2 Timothy 3:1.

Discreet

and Foolish Virgins Look Here

After speaking of "that evil slave," Jesus gave two parables to show why some anointed Christians would prove to be faithful and discreet while others would not. To illustrate discretion, he said: "The kingdom of the heavens will become like ten virgins that took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were discreet. For the foolish took their lamps but took no oil with them, whereas the discreet took oil in their receptacles with their lamps." (Matthew 25:1-4) The ten virgins remind us of anointed Christians before 1914. They had calculated that the bridegroom, Jesus Christ, was about to make an appearance. Hence, they "went out" to meet him, boldly preaching that "the appointed times of the nations" would end in 1914.—Luke 21:24.

They were correct. The appointed times of the nations did end in 1914, and God’s Kingdom under Christ Jesus went into operation. But that was in the invisible heavens. On earth, mankind began to suffer foretold "woe." (Revelation 12:10, 12) A time of testing ensued. Not understanding things clearly, anointed Christians thought that "the bridegroom was delaying." Confused and facing hostility from the world, generally they slowed down and virtually stopped the organized public preaching work. Like the virgins in the parable, spiritually speaking they "nodded and went to sleep," even as unfaithful professed Christians did after Jesus’ apostles died.—Matthew 25:5; Revelation 11:7, 8; 12:17.

Then in 1919 something unexpected happened. We read: "Right in the middle of the night there arose a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Be on your way out to meet him.’ Then all those virgins rose and put their lamps in order." (Matthew 25:6, 7) Just when things seemed darkest, there was a call to get active! In 1918, Jesus, "the messenger of the covenant," had come to Jehovah’s spiritual temple to inspect and cleanse God’s congregation. (Malachi 3:1) Now, anointed Christians needed to go out and meet him in the earthly courtyards of that temple. It was time for them to "shed forth light."—Isaiah 60:1; Philippians 2:14, 15.

But wait! In the parable, some of the young women had a problem. Jesus continued: "The foolish said to the discreet, ‘Give us some of your oil, because our lamps are about to go out.’" (Matthew 25:8) Without oil, the lamps would not give light. Lamp oil thus reminds us of God’s Word of truth and his holy spirit, which empower true worshipers to be light bearers. (Psalm 119:130; Daniel 5:14) Before 1919, discreet anointed Christians had diligently sought to discern God’s will for them, despite their temporary weakened state. Hence, when the call came to give forth light, they were ready.—2 Timothy 4:2; Hebrews 10:24, 25.

Certain anointed ones, however, were unprepared to make sacrifices or expend personal effort—although they earnestly desired to be with the Bridegroom. So when it was time to get active in preaching the good news, they were not ready. (Matthew 24:14) They even tried to slow down their zealous companions, asking, in effect, for some of their oil supply. In Jesus’ parable, how did the discreet virgins respond? They said: "Perhaps there may not be quite enough for us and you. Be on your way, instead, to those who sell it and buy for yourselves." (Matthew 25:9) Similarly, loyal anointed Christians in 1919 refused to do anything that would diminish their own capacity to bear light. Thus, they passed inspection.

Jesus concludes: "While [the foolish virgins] were going off to buy, the bridegroom arrived, and the virgins that were ready went in with him to the marriage feast; and the door was shut. Afterwards the rest of the virgins also came, saying, ‘Sir, sir, open to us!’ In answer he said, ‘I tell you the truth, I do not know you.’" (Matthew 25:10-12) Yes, some were unprepared for the Bridegroom’s arrival. Thus, they failed inspection and lost the opportunity to attend the heavenly marriage feast. How tragic!

The

Parable of the Talents

After illustrating discretion, Jesus went on to illustrate faithfulness. He said: "It is just as when a man, about to travel abroad, summoned slaves of his and committed to them his belongings. And to one he gave five talents, to another two, to still another one, to each one according to his own ability, and he went abroad." (Matthew 25:14, 15) The man in the parable is Jesus himself, who "went abroad" when he ascended to heaven in the year 33 C.E. But before his ascension, Jesus committed "his belongings" to his faithful disciples. How?

During his earthly ministry, Jesus began to prepare a large field of activity by preaching the good news of the Kingdom throughout the land of Israel. (Matthew 9:35-38) Before he "went abroad," he entrusted that field to his faithful disciples, saying: "Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you." (Matthew 28:18-20) With these words, Jesus authorized his "slaves" to do business until his return, "each one according to his own ability."

That expression indicates that not all first-century Christians had equal circumstances or possibilities. Some, like Paul and Timothy, were free to have the fullest possible share in the preaching and teaching work. The circumstances of others may have severely limited their freedom of action. For example, some Christians were slaves, and others were sickly, advanced in age, or had family responsibilities. Of course, certain congregation privileges were not open to all disciples. Anointed women and some anointed men did not teach in the congregation. (1 Corinthians 14:34; 1 Timothy 3:1; James 3:1) Still, whatever their personal situation, all of Christ’s anointed disciples—men and women—were assigned to engage in business, making good use of their opportunities and circumstances in the Christian ministry. Their modern-day counterparts do the same.

Inspection

Time Begins!

The parable continues: "After a long time the master of those slaves came and settled accounts with them." (Matthew 25:19) In 1914—certainly a long time after 33 C.E.—Christ Jesus began his royal presence. Three and a half years later, in 1918, he came to God’s spiritual temple and fulfilled Peter’s words: "It is the appointed time for the judgment to start with the house of God." (1 Peter 4:17; Malachi 3:1) It was time to settle accounts.

What had the slaves, Jesus’ anointed brothers, done with the King’s "talents"? From 33 C.E. onward, including the years leading up to 1914, many had been working hard at Jesus’ "business." (Matthew 25:16) Even during the first world war, they had shown a strong desire to serve the Master. Now it was fitting to give faithful ones new opportunities to ‘do business.’ The time of the end of this system of things had arrived. The good news had to be preached worldwide. "The harvest of the earth" had to be reaped. (Revelation 14:6, 7, 14-16) The final members of the wheat class had to be located and "a great crowd" of other sheep gathered in.—Revelation 7:9; Matthew 13:24-30.

Harvesttime is a joyful time. (Psalm 126:6) It is fitting, then, that when in 1919, Jesus entrusted his faithful anointed brothers with increased responsibility, he said: "You were faithful over a few things. I will appoint you over many things. Enter into the joy of your master." (Matthew 25:21, 23) Moreover, the joy of the Master as newly enthroned King of God’s Kingdom surpasses our imagination. (Psalm 45:1, 2, 6, 7) The faithful slave class share that joy by representing the King and increasing his interests on earth. (2 Corinthians 5:20) Their delight is seen in the prophetic words of Isaiah 61:10: "Without fail I shall exult in Jehovah. My soul will be joyful in my God. For he has clothed me with the garments of salvation."

Sadly, some did not pass inspection. We read: "The one that had received the one talent came forward and said, ‘Master, I knew you to be an exacting man, reaping where you did not sow and gathering where you did not winnow. So I grew afraid and went off and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.’" (Matthew 25:24, 25) Similarly, some anointed Christians had not engaged in "business." Before 1914 they had not enthusiastically shared their hope with others, and they did not want to start in 1919. How did Jesus respond to their insolence? He took away all their privileges. They were ‘thrown out into the darkness outside, where their weeping and the gnashing of their teeth would be.’—Matthew 25:28, 30.

The

Inspection Continues

Of course, the majority of those who were to become Christ’s anointed slaves during the time of the end were not yet serving Jehovah when Jesus began his inspection in 1918. Did they miss out on the inspection? Not at all. The inspection process only began in 1918/19 when the faithful and discreet slave as a class passed the test. Individual anointed Christians continue under inspection until their sealing is made permanent. (Revelation 7:1-3) Realizing this, Christ’s anointed brothers are determined to keep on faithfully ‘doing business.’ They are determined to be discreet, keeping an abundant oil supply so that the light will shine brightly. They know that when each one reaches the end of his life course in faithfulness, Jesus will receive him into the heavenly dwelling place.—Matthew 24:13; John 14:2-4; 1 Corinthians 15:50, 51.

The great crowd of other sheep have imitated their anointed brothers. They are aware that their knowledge of God’s purposes brings great responsibility. (Ezekiel 3:17-21) Hence, with the help of Jehovah’s Word and holy spirit, they too keep their oil supply abundant through study and association. And they let their light shine, sharing in the work of preaching and teaching and thus ‘doing business’ along with their anointed brothers. However, anointed Christians are keenly aware that the talents were placed in their hands. They must render an account for the way the Lord’s belongings on earth are administered. Even though they are few in number, they cannot abdicate their responsibility to the great crowd. With this in mind, the faithful and discreet slave continues to take the lead in caring for the King’s business, grateful for the support of devoted members of the great crowd. These recognize the responsibility of their anointed brothers and feel privileged to work under their oversight.

Thus, although these two parables shed light on events in 1919 or thereabouts, they apply in principle to all true Christians throughout the last days. In this way, while the exhortation that Jesus gave at the end of the parable of the ten virgins applies in the first place to anointed Christians before 1919, in principle it still applies to every Christian. May all of us, then, take to heart Jesus’ words: "Keep on the watch, therefore, because you know neither the day nor the hour."—Matthew 25:13.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

I understand completly. Every time my Dad has told me he beieves Jehovah is speaking through him and has chosen him as an elder makes my heart cry. My Dad is 80+ yrs old and at this point for him to admit he has made a mistake in his religeous beliefs would be saying his whole life from 25 yrs old on has been a waste. I just change the subject...

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

p.s. yes, it is a form of insanity.

• nowisee
    nowisee

oh, man. how can they swallow this stuff?

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

I think the same thing about my mother. Would I rather see her free only to have to mourn the 55 years she's been deceived? Sad, but we each have to make our own way.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

It's like the toilet isn't fit for putting it in.

Sometimes we need to remember the concept of infinity
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- a paduan of the "sometimes there just aren't enough stones (Forrest Gump) " class

• bother_forever
    bother_forever

It looks like certifiable madness, and why the men with the straight jackets haven't been sent in to "help" these poor deluded leaders is beyond me. Also I m in the same position with the old parents, to long inside means they refuse to see it as a cult, because if they did, it would be to much to take that their entire adult lives have been wasted. Such a waste.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

"These former Christians came to be identified as the "evil slave," and Jesus punished them with "the greatest severity." How? He rejected them, and they lost out on their heavenly hope. They were not, however, immediately destroyed. They first had to endure a period of weeping and gnashing of teeth in "the darkness outside" the Christian congregation. (Matthew 8:12) Since those early days, a few other anointed individuals have shown a similar bad spirit, identifying themselves with the "evil slave." Some of the "other sheep" have imitated their unfaithfulness. (John 10:16) All such enemies of the Christ end up in the same spiritual "darkness outside.""

Are they talking about the regular DFed and shunned here? Or is it just the "annointed", with the "heavenly hope? Either way, that`s just fu##ing amasingly SICK and hateful. Like they`re sitting up there in Bethel laughing and enjoying that the shunned are "weeping and gnashing their teeth". That`s the christian spirit of love for you, right from the "prophet of Gods" mouth. Oh oh oh, THIS really pushed my button.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Their claim is indeed conceited and grandiose perhaps they are relying on the shock effect such a big claim can have on people's psychology, or are they trying to hint that: look if jehovah doesn't strike us down for such a big and potentially blasphemous claim then that proves we are not impostors.

Otherwise let them show what they did more than the "other annointed" to deserve to be their leaders and absolutist leaders at that.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I used to wonder about this also. I sometimes felt it might have been the height of arrogance and presumptuousness on their part to feel this way about themselves.

If this were literally true, wouldn't there by some actual physical proof? Like a voice from heaven maybe.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit