When Was The Last Time You Ran Into A Witness?

by minimus 42 Replies latest jw friends

• delilah
    delilah

Today....actually, one came to my door with an apology....can you believe it????? They thought I'd been DF'd, and so didn't speak when I saw them a month ago........hahahahahahaha....

Delilah

• willyloman
    willyloman

I opened the door to a sandwich shop yesterday and bumped into an elder I served with in the last congo I attended. Background: I resigned as an elder two years ago and began to fade; we haven't been to a meeting in 18-20 months.

I have an operating philosophy for when I meet dubs. I got it from a poster on this forum: "Be gracious but grant no interviews."

So I was gracious. I called his name, smiled, shook hands and told him he looked terrific, and asked if he'd lost weight (he had). I could see the wheels turning behind his eyes as he processed my status. He took a step back, looked around, and pointed towards an empty table and said, "I've got to find a seat." Then he walked over and sat in a chair that conveniently had its back to me.

That's when I realized the line to order lunch was a mile long. If I turned around and went someplace else -- which is what I'd have done if he hadn't been there -- he might think I was running away. But I wasn't going to stand there for 10 minutes while he sat and composed whatever he thought he should say to me and I didn't want to pretend that he wasn't sitting five feet away. I turned and opened the door, paused, and looked over at him. He was looking at me and I gestured towards the line with my thumb and said, "This line's waaaay too long. See ya later." He nodded.

Leaving, I realized I'd been gracious and granted no interview. As a result, a potential confrontation was diffused and I maintained the upper hand. I overwhelmed him with kindess and gave him no opportunity to button-hole me. I felt good about it.

It just defined for me, once again, how valuable the give and take on this forum can be for faders and other escapees. I had absolutely no fear of the guy. He has no power over me.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Last time I was in my hometown visiting some family I ran into an elder or he spotted me and called out my name as I was leaving a department store. He said that it had been a long time since he had seen me and where have I been, etc. I told him I moved and only come to visit friends and family once in a while when I can get away; and then he told me that tomorrow (which was Sunday) bro so and so from such and such cong was giving a talk tomorrow and I need to come out and see "the friends", that they miss me, etc. This was the elder who "brought me into the truth" 20 years ago. I just played long and was friendly and said bye, good seeing ya, etc. and left. It has been about 7 or 8 years since I had been to a meeting that I can remember.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit