What Kind of Witness Were You ?

by Big Jim 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

For me that is a hard question to answer. It seems like when your in the Borg it is always pounded in your head that you need to do more so they made you think you were never doing enough.

The last five years that I was in it I guess you could say I was pretty gung-ho, I regulare pionered for almost three years as well as served as a MS, I used my home for Book Study as well as Saturday Field Service.

But you know what all that does not amount to a hill of beans, you know why? Because the whole time I was a doubter, I never liked it from the time I was a Kid. Everyone seemed fake and most were.

So what kind of Witness was I? I would say not a true one if there is such a thing.

How about you?

• Fredhall
    Fredhall

I would say very loving and open minded. And pro JW too.

• Big Jim
    Big Jim

Hello FredHall

You cannot be open minded and be a Dub.

Are you sure you are a Dub?

A Dub and open minded; cant happen.

• jurs
    jurs

I was the weak sister. I wasn't raised in the org. and my husband was not a JW. I came in when i was 27. I averaged 7 hours a week in field service and felt like I didn't fit in with the other sisters . The sisters that I did become friends with were a little on the worldly side. I struggled with keeping up on reading my mags and studying for meetings. I felt overwhelmed !!
    The funny thing is as much as I struggled and was "weak" I was rock solid that it was the "Truth". I remember thinking how wonderful it was that I had found something that I totally and completely believed right down to my bones. I felt sorry for people who were "lost" and didn't have a firm foundation of faith like I did. At meetings when the issue of doubting came up, I would think, How could anyone doubt? The truth seemed so obviously the truth to me.
    I guess I was a better witness than I gave myself credit for. I bought the whole line of bull.
    Jurs

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

I was a great witness! I would regularly kick puppies and set fire to homes and perform cleasning rituals involving acid and lyes...oh wait wrong religion.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I was totally gung-ho. Brought up in it from the time I was 7. Never got into any trouble....avoided all worldly association....pioneered right after high school. Had doubts for years but blamed myself and tried harder. (sigh)

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

I destroyed idols (crucifixes) that were three generations old and the last gifts my mother received when she left the old country. I wrestled my father to the ground and almost choked him to death.

I quit a high paying job because I was placed on the 3-11pm shift and was missing meetings, because a brother said I was falling out of the truth.

I lied to the elders to force a committee case so I could marry a disfellowshipped person.

I auxiliary pioneered and lent money to the needy, moved furniture, repaired homes and apartments, babysat young ones, and on and on and on.

I disowned family and refused communications. I embarrassed my parents and friends and made a fanatic, dysfunctional fool of myself in public attemtping to always steer every conversation into kingdom messages.

I would spend 50% of my paycheck on bound volumes and books.

Perhaps, in the end, the sum of all things, I am nothing more than a bona-fide jack of ass!

• openminded
    openminded

Jurs-Your pic is sorta fuzzy but as far as I can tell, YOUR A HOTTY!

Anyway, for some reason I was really popular as a witness. Always invited to go skiing, fishing, camping, and whatnot. I never really took the "truth" too seriously despite the fact, that I did a part on just about every meeting, everything from reading the watchtower to conducting the bookstudy to filling in on a lot of parts on the ministry school. Since I was "raised in it" I never questioned it much till I realized my friends from high school were becoming doctors and lawyers and I despite being as smart as them, was working as a laborer. So I started looking into things, enrolled in college and never really looked back. Since I quit going to meeting(I am not dad or dfd) I have 2 semesters till I get a degree in business, started a business of my own, got promoted at work, bought a house, and still have time to work out every day.

The only problem is that my 5 yr old son(who I have in organized soccer,hockey, and t-ball) is about as interested in meetings as he is going to the dentist. So every Thurs. night and Sun morn, my wife gets in a big huff cause I wont force him to cooperate with her. She says I am not supporting her in providing him with his "spititual needs". I have never ever said he cant go along with her or opposed anything ever. I just make other activities available too him and never threaten him like she does. You should hear her yell at him every thurs-"OK FINE next time you ask to go to Chukee Cheese it gonna be NO WAY cause YOU wont do what I ask of you." She really makes him feel guilty like he is hurting her feelings or something. It really sucks.

• larc
    larc

I am pretty much with RedHorseWoman. I was raised in it and believed for many years, totally, completely and sincerely.

I spent two hours today at a Witness convention and it was bitter sweet. The words were good, but empty for me. The people were healthy looking and content. The talks were standard, but lacked the emotion that should accompany belief. I had planned to spend the whole day, but 2 hours is all I could handle.

I do not believe that JWs are "brain dead", nor do I believe that they have a high rate of immorality. I think that the majority of them are good people caught in a bad system.

• philo
    philo

When I started to become a JW, one thing I did was boast about how bad I had been as a worldly person. I did it to enhance the effect of my truthful transformation, to display my understanding of the world in the light of new truth. All the time my Christian personality, that I had put on, was just that - put on, and it was the thinnest coldest garment I had. So I am a little more careful now when I describe my personal 'transformation' on leaving the borg, in case I am only kidding myself again.

No criticism of anybody intended, it's just a personal reflection.

philo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit