Scan of 67 WT needed

by Black Sheep 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I need a scan of the following for a mission I am on. Needs to be at least 640 wide.

Thanks

Chris

WT 1967 Nov 15 p.702-4 QFR
    Humans were allowed by God to eat animal flesh and to sustain their human lives by taking the lives of animals, though they were not
    permitted to eat blood. Did this include eating human flesh, sustaining one's life by means of the body or part of the body of another
    human, alive or dead? No! That would be cannibalism, a practice abhorrent to all civilized people. Jehovah clearly made a distinction
    between the lives of animals and the lives of humans, mankind being created in God's image, with his qualities. (Gen. 1:27) This
    distinction is evident in His next words. God proceeded to show that man's life is sacred and is not to be taken at will, as may be done
    with the animals to be used for food. To show disrespect for the sanctity of human life would make one liable to have his own life
    taken.—Gen. 9:5, 6.

I will be using it with this:

New York Times Nov 26, 1978. pg. 47
    BOSTON, Nov. 25 (AP)--A teen-ager, who declined to have bone marrow transplanted from her sister because of religion and
    the possible danger to her sister, is dead .

Copyright 1978

NEW YORK TIMES

November 26, 1978, Sunday

SECTION: Page 47, Column 4

LENGTH: 74 words

JOURNAL-CODE: NYT ABSTRACT:

Thirteen-year-old Lori Mason of Natick (Mass) dies on same day special court session was scheduled to ensure that her rights
    were being fully presented after Boston judge upheld her decision to decline bone marrow transplant from her sister. Had
    refused transplant on religious grounds as member of Jehovah's Witnesses and feared possibilty of endangering her sister's
    health. Had suffered from disease called Fanconi's aplastic anemia (S).

• AllAlongTheWatchtower
    AllAlongTheWatchtower

Soooo...based on that logic; that animals are seperate from humans, and are to be used to sustain human life...and the blood doctrine is one of anti-cannibalism...it should be ok to accept blood/organs etc from an animal, if it can be made to be compatible with the human body, correct? Weren't the first heart surgery patients given pig or baboon hearts? The WTS should, in theory, be ok with that, right? I mean, after all, they're ok with surgery, and though things may have modernized now, at one point (maybe still?) stitches gotten through surgery were made of catgut (which is actually sheep intestine, never understood why its called catgut).

*Makes a mental note to tell his wife to ask her studygroup people about this in the hope that it will make their little simpleton heads spin*

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I don't think you'll get the Borgites to agree that animal blood is OK using that logic AATW, but you can give it a try.

Their latest flip flop does allow fractions from animal blood though.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I am heading for bed, so if anyone can help me on this one please email it to:

jwd.black.sheep

at

gmail dot com

Thanks

Chris

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

I can scan this from the bound volume for you. If it's not here by the time you check in slap me over the head with a PM to remind me.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hi Black Sheep & Nicolaou.

if you have any problems getting this, send me a PM

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I wonder if this would have made a difference? printed 6 years later

...........................................................................................................................................................................................................

w84 5/15 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

·

Could a Christian accept a bone-marrow transplant, since blood is made in the marrow?

"Doctors perform most bone-marrow transplants by withdrawing some marrow from a donor (often a near relative) and then injecting or transfusing it into the sick patient. They hope that the marrow graft will reach the patient’s marrow cavities and later function normally. Usually this procedure is considered only in critical cases (such as aplastic anemia or acute leukemia) for there are acknowledged hazards in preparing a person for a marrow graft and in treating him afterward.

As the question itself notes, red blood cells are formed in the marrow of certain bones such as the ribs, sternum and pelvic bones. Hence, it is understandable why, in the light of the Bible’s prohibition on blood, the question arises whether a Christian could accept a graft of human bone marrow.

The Bible states clearly that God’s servants must ‘abstain from blood.’ (Acts 15:28, 29; Deuteronomy 12:15, 16) But, since red cells originate in the red bone marrow, do the Scriptures class marrow with blood? No. In fact, animal marrow is spoken of like any other flesh that could be eaten. Isaiah 25:6 says that God will prepare for his people a banquet that includes "well-oiled dishes filled with marrow." Normal slaughtering and drainage procedures never drain all blood cells from the marrow. Yet once a carcass is drained, then any of the tissue may be eaten, including the marrow.

Of course, marrow used in human marrow transplants is from live donors, and the withdrawn marrow may have some blood with it. Hence, the Christian would have to resolve for himself whether—to him—the bone-marrow graft would amount to simple flesh or would be unbled tissue. Additionally, since a marrow graft is a form of transplant, the Scriptural aspects of human organ transplants should be considered. See "Questions From Readers" in our issue of March 15, 1980. Finally, writing in Harrison’s Principles of Internal Medicine (Update I, 1981, page 138), Dr. D. E. Thomas observes that "virtually all marrow transplant recipients will require platelet transfusions" and many are given "packed red blood cells." So the Christian should consider what additional issues he would have to face if he submitted to a marrow transplant.—Proverbs 22:3.

Though a personal decision has to be made on this matter, the Bible’s comments about blood and marrow should help the individual to decide."

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

That would have made a difference all right.

What would have made an even bigger difference is if they hadn't dictated the 67 rules in the first place.

I'm also looking for documentation of any deaths due to this stupidity.

Thanks guys.

The scan didn't arrive yet and I'm off to work.

Cheers

Chris

jwd.black.sheep at gmail.com

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Here you go...

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Cool. Thanks nicolaou.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest