What happend to Japan and its explosive Growth??????????????

by JT 32 Replies latest jw friends

• JT
    JT

when i was at bethel during the 80's Japan was the darling of the society, GB Lyord Barry, used to brag about their zeal all the time and dog us in the WEST-

they set and all time record of all 100-200 consective peaks in pub and growth, then all of a sudden the bottom fell out, what do you think happend

i do recall barry mentioning that their Culture is one that makes them good Follers

any thoughts would be appreciated

thanks

• JT
    JT

correction

i do recall barry mentioning that their Culture is one that makes them good Follers

"Follwers"

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

economic problems?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Japan is a culture of fad religions. The JW thing was just a fad that burned itself out.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Japan is very much into groupthink. The nail that sticks up gets pounded down. Maybe the 'group' changed it's mind.

S

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Didn't they have a big shake up among Japanese congregations and they were leaving faster than they're comming in. but that was years ago I read this maybe randy's site. Anyway there was some info on the net somewhere maybe someone can locate it it might be encouraging.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

The JW fad wore off as soon as Starbucks took over all of Japan.

Nothing like a Grande Green Tea Frappachino

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    Nothing like a Grande Green Tea Frappachino

I like green tea, but...

• bebu
    bebu

I was in Japan during the mid 80s, and those JWs were really working hard. I had several calls, and even met with some ladies for a few months. (Non-JW Japanese complained about how the JWs would bring their small children for sympathy tactics.)

Japan is a country of religous fashion. I remember having coffee in a coffee shop and a long train of folks wearing white clothes, beating drums, went by on the sidewalk. Some sect of something that was worshiping a snake. I remember hearing that people usually stuck with a religion for about 2 years, then changed. I think that seemed accurate.

There was a terrible group suicide by immolation that happened in Wakayama on the beach while I was there, in 1986; it was some cross between JW and Shinto or Buddhist theologies. Yeah, strange I know, but it was all over in the paper for weeks... and people were suddenly asking questions, because most people thought it was more JW than whatever else it was, because the leader had a JW background. I think that that played some part in slowing down the growth, because people got much more wary and alarmed about JWs... Their reaction was like that Aum Shinri Kyo cult that had that saran gas attack in Tokyo several years back--"what kind of religion would allow this?"

So the natural fad death was hastened, I think.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Very interesting Bebu.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit