Harry Potter

by free2beme 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Holy cow! I won't reveal any secrets, but the ending of this book is stunning!!!!

JK Rowling wasn't kidding when she said someone would die and what's more the identity of the Half Blood Prince and the war amongst the wizards and .. and ... dang! This is a nerd's delight.

Chris

• free2beme
    free2beme
    Were Disney movies banned by the JW's, like it was for the Baptists?

Depends on which one they came out with. I know there was a talk once that mentioned that witchcraft was often glamerized in Disney cartoons. Maybe that is what happened to me, I saw Snow White and now I want to make poison apples. LOL In all though, I know some Witness parents would go to see the movie first and then decide if something was wrong enough to prevent a child from seeing it. Harry Potter is something the Witnesses are very against. I can see why there though, not exactly a subject they would approve of.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

I agree wholeheartedly, Chris. I was a bit disappointed in the order of the pheonix, but the half blood prince has become my favorite of them all so far. The ending was amazing and I've been pestering all my friends to hurry up and finish it so that I can see their reactions ;)

Jackie

• Valis
    Valis

Heck I just think it is great kids are reading. If it takes something like Harry Potter to get them to do that outside of school then so be it. I heard an interesting thing on NPR yesterday where they were talking to the people publishing the book in braile. This is one of the first big books released in braile about the same time it is available to the general public. Great stuff. One blind person wrote in and said they wanted a copy as soon as possible so he could be the first one on his block to have it...He was 35...

SIncerely,

District Overbeer

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Harry Potter has been specifically mentioned by our PO and CO as definite NO s

• Valis
    Valis

BTW, JK is gonna be on Dateline here in a few minutes..

• free2beme
    free2beme
    Harry Potter has been specifically mentioned by our PO and CO as definite NO

That is what my sister said too. She had bought the first HP and thought was a kids story for all, keep in mind this was years ago. She was told to burn her copy and not even throw it away, for fear it may get into the hands of another. Weird, isn't it?

• orion
    orion

i've known some who were told not to watch HP and others who wern't , also I've known a few who watch anything...including elders seen in R rated movies and a friend who bought the "grinch who stole christmas" for her kids....said they know santas not real so its just for fun.... yaaaa ok....I left cause i didn't want to be a hypocrit...lol

• free2beme
    free2beme

I know an elder who said in a talk that he would never watch the movie Wizard of Oz, as it had witches, and one day while at him home I saw he owned it on VHS. All sounds good on stage though.

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I cant stand him!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit