State control on cults

by greendawn 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• greendawn
    greendawn

Do you think it's a good idea if the state puts tight controls on cult like organisations like the JWs and many others, eg to control the power of their judicial committees or have warnings in their books/mags or even kingdom Halls that they use in them mind control techniques? Or warnings about the consequences of leaving the WTS after baptism.

The jc are secretive kangaroo courts made up of incompetent people taking decisions against adults but even against under age children that can have destructive consequences on their lives. As for subtle mind control we all know that they use it to confuse and ensnare people emotionally.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    As for subtle mind control we all know that they use it to confuse and ensnare people emotionally.

it's not just the witnoids, although they are the epitome for me.

i think the restriction should be put on organized religion in general, as they all started out as cults anyways.

i like the way the government of France is handling religion these days. makes wish i lived there.

i am all for secular based governments that make it hard for organized religions and for people who see it as their duty to wield their faith whilst holding a public office of any type. i don't really care if it sounds communistic, or what documents where written hundreds of years ago protecting religious freedom. it's still a disease on humanity that needs some quarantining. it's getting in the way of scientific advancement that could benefit all of humanity, and it is prolonging the unnecessary suffering of some.

but don't worry guys, i have no intention of ever running for a public office. i will however always vote for the most secular and liberal of the parties running for office.

i would be happy if they started with the JWs, scientologists and mormons. then moved onto protestants of whatever sort. and then onto the orthodox.

wow. do i sound like a crazy bastard or what? oh well. in this way, i am with karl marx.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Do you think it's a good idea if the state puts tight controls on cult like organisations like the JWs and many others, eg to control the power of their judicial committees or have warnings in their books/mags or even kingdom Halls that they use in them mind control techniques? Or warnings about the consequences of leaving the WTS after baptism.

The jc are secretive kangaroo courts made up of incompetent people taking decisions against adults but even against under age children that can have destructive consequences on their lives. As for subtle mind control we all know that they use it to confuse and ensnare people emotionally.

Its a good idea in principle but it could be counter productive...they would only imagine that this was the start of the persecution...it would in effect make them worse.

DB74

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Yes, to a point.

Consider that the jws receive a tax break for spreading lies, fear and antisocial sentiments, while providing no material charity to the community - very strange circumstances - however, the same laws allow me to start my own church.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The French government did come down hard on the dubs and the scientologists another cultish organisation after realising that they destroy families and lives and deceive their followers. The dubs went to the European court with a long list of complaints but lost their case against the French Government. They are not allowed to be called a religion and enjoy the priviledges of being a religion.

But unfortunately in most countries they are having a soft treatment and continue to mess around with people's lives.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Yes and no. I think the government should put restrictions on some 'freedom of religion' issues in regards to minor children (for example, I'm calling my MLA every week about legislation that at all times would deny requests for 'Mature minor' status to minors refusing medical treatment on religious grounds), however other then that they shouldn't as I really believe in freedom of choice.

Kwin

• horrible life
    horrible life

Even though I dislike (hate) the jw's, and would love for them to be brought down, I can't go against our Constitution and Bill of Rights. I was in DC a couple of months ago. I got teary eyed, even now, looking at what our founding fathers built. and what our country stands for. Some cult of jw's is not going to distroy my love of country. They have their rights. But if I can help expose them for who they are, I will gladly do so.

Horrible life (but free)

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

The question that would worry me the most is, who gets to decide which groups are cults?

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I don't think governments should control cults, there sould be freedom of thought no matter how bizzar. What the state should do is not let cults hide behind religous freedoms to avoid prosecution.

If they cause deliberate malicious harm to some one either to thier reputation or family relationship, and they should not be immune from prosecuted.

If they commit fraud and they scam anyone of thier money of free labor, if it could be proven reasonably in court they should be just as liable as any other human being, company, or corperation. Religion should not be use as an excuse to excape prosecution.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

The expression of jwism is regressive to human development. As for restricting it - so me cults advocate sex with children as a rule - their practice is kerbed - it just depends where you draw the line - obviously the French line on this topic is more attuned to my own politics - but in America even mainstream christianity is half way to jwism.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit