Are emails from JW's who know you've left cries for help?

by kwintestal 12 Replies latest jw friends

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

As a JW, I always wondered why someone would leave 'the truth'. Obviously though as they were DF'd or had DA'd themselves you couldn't just go up to them and ask what the deal was.

Yesterday we got an email from a friend of Mrs. Kwin who moved 3 hours away last fall, basically saying "I missed not seeing you at the assembly. I'm sorry you left 'the truth'." Mrs. Kwin at first wanted to delete the email and send no reply. My thoughts are this. If she's knows that we left, she knows that she shouldn't contact us. She took the first step to establish communication. Does she want to know why we left?

We are going to compose a response to explain why we made the choice that we did. It will be short but to the point, leaving it up to her to search for answers herself, but showing her where to look and what to look for.

What's the worse thing that could happen? I guess that she would forward the email to an elder who will then come after us for 'apostacy'. As you can see, we're not really hiding anymore, so BIG DEAL!

Kwin

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I had an old school friend contact me through Friends Reunited who is a JW and I responded in a polite but firm way that there was no way I was going to come back....but if she was prepared to be friends then our door was always open...you never guess what...she never responded....Cries for help probably not although not impossible...more a stab at curiousity.

DB74

• Satanus
    Satanus

When my dad was dfd, occasionally i would talk to him and do little things to try to get him back in. It was never a call for help on my part.

S

• Netty
    Netty

I wouldn't call it a cry for help. Unfortunately, she thinks she is helping you. I remember calling someone who had left the truth, thinking I would be the one to help them and bring them back, after so many others had failed.

We are going to compose a response to explain why we made the choice that we did. It will be short but to the point, leaving it up to her to search for answers herself, but showing her where to look and what to look for.

Great idea!

• greendawn
    greendawn

If you really don't care any more about getting (ensnared and) turned in to the elders then you lose nothing to try and see what she's after but if you still want to fade peacefully then don't risk it.

• sweet tee
    sweet tee

Kwint - you are thinking like a normal person but she's acting like a dub! Remember hearing 'we missed U at the meeting !!! It's just their way of saying 'get ur ass back to the KH'!

• damselfly
    damselfly

When I first left the JW's I had a huge flurry of phone calls, letters etc from "concerned" family members and friends. Not one of them was a cry for help, they were all a guilt trip of some form in an attempt to change my mind.

I wish I had been brave enough to speak my mind about the real reasons why I left. I say write her back with a brief explanation for your decision and tell her that you and Mrs. Kwin will be open to more discussion when/if she wants.

I'm assuming you can't be that concerned about the elders finding out about your reasons for leaving as you were quite vocal in the press lately? The friend needs to remember that she was the one that initiated contact not the other way around I'm sure she will think twice about sharing the information

Damselfly

• talesin
    talesin

Kwin

I wonder if she saw your interview on TV ... hmmmm... coulda, mighta, got her thinking.

tal

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i wish there were cries for help like that.

What's the worse thing that could happen?

she goes back to the truth, i would venture, is the worst. seriously, some people might consider spreading dissonance causing information as rude and selfish, but i really do not consider it as such, kwin. it's just information. she can interpret it anyway she likes.

something that my witnoid "friends" did was to email me quoting scriptures, and then say at the end of the email not to reply. bastards. typical. i engaged one of them, but it did not do anything that i can see. of course, my view is limited.

in the end, i say: "who cares? go for it."

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I suppose you're right. Perhaps she sent it to ease her concience instead of looking for reasons why we left. I guess that's neither here nor there though as she will get a response, if she likes it or not. She can always delete it and go on her way, but it will ease OUR concience by giving her the option.

I find it interesting that she addressed the message to Mrs. Kwin and the kids and not to myself. Perhaps she did see the newscast.

Kwin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit