Heard Any Sacred Pronouncements Lately?

by Englishman 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

If not, then you haven't been to the latest assembly!

Or maybe you have attended and you were just "milling about" instead of beinng sat down as you were told to?

Or perhaps you'd eaten a heavy meal. Tut tut!

Worse, you might have quenched your thirst during one of the sessions!

Look. OKM, May, 2000:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

>>>>>Be

Attentive to Sacred Pronouncements<<<<<

Not everything spoken by man deserves special attention. But when God speaks, there is vital reason to listen. (Deut. 28:1, 2) Thankfully, inspired penmen recorded "the sacred pronouncements of God" for our benefit. (Rom. 3:2) The upcoming district convention will provide precious opportunities to hear these pronouncements as they are read and discussed. How can you be especially attentive?

Arrive Early Each Morning: Imagine the excitement of the Israelites when they were told to meet Jehovah at Mount Sinai to hear his Law! (Ex. 19:10, 11, 16-19) If you have a similar attitude about receiving Jehovah’s instruction at the district convention, you will make arrangements to arrive early each day. We cannot listen to the entire program if we walk in late and disturb others by our efforts to find seats. Doors will open at the convention site at 8:00 a.m., and the program begins at 9:30 a.m. each day.

Even some who arrive early are not in their seats for the start of the session. Why is this? They wait until the chairman introduces the opening song before they stop conversing with friends and start making their way to their seats. We should take note that several minutes before the opening song of each session, the chairman will be seated on the platform while introductory Kingdom music is played. This is our signal that it is time to be seated! Then, when the opening song is called for, we will be ready to join in singing praises to Jehovah.

Listen as a United Family: When sacred pronouncements were read to the congregated Israelites, families, including "little ones," were to listen and learn. (Deut. 31:12) At our conventions, children should not be "let on the loose." (Prov. 29:15) Parents, arrange for your entire family to sit together—teenagers included. Some parents wait until the opening song to take their young ones to the rest room. However, this would hardly teach children the great importance of songs and prayers in our worship. How much better it is to care for restroom needs before the start of each session if at all possible!

It will help us to listen if we get plenty of rest each night and avoid heavy meals during the day. Concentrate on what the speaker is saying. Refuse to allow your mind to wander. Follow along in the Bible when scriptures are read. Take brief notes. As each talk is being given, review in your mind what the speaker has said, and consider how you will apply the material. At the end of the day, discuss the program as a family. What points did each one enjoy? How can your family put this information to good use?

Show Respect for God’s Word: Conventions give us a fine opportunity to talk to friends and enjoy upbuilding association. By arriving early, we will have time to converse before the program starts. Some, though, engage in conversation during the program, mistakenly thinking that this causes little distraction in a large auditorium. Even when meetings are held in a large setting, it is a time to listen, just as when attending a meeting in the Kingdom Hall. The use of cellular phones, pagers, camcorders, and cameras should not be allowed to cause distractions during the program.

While Moses was receiving the Law from Jehovah, "he ate no bread and he drank no water." (Ex. 34:28) Similarly, it would be inappropriate to eat or drink while convention sessions are in progress. Unless serious health factors are involved, wait until the "appointed time" for this.—Eccl. 3:1.

At some conventions, there continues to be a problem with many brothers and sisters and even young children milling about in the corridors during the sessions. Attendants will be instructed to ask such ones to return to the auditorium. Volunteers who are working in various departments should be seated in the audience as soon as their work has been completed. Unless volunteers are assigned to do essential work during the sessions, they should be in their seats, listening to the program. They should not linger in the departments, visiting with one another while the program is in session.

We would never want to become ‘dull in our hearing’ when listening to God’s Word. (Heb. 5:11) Let us therefore be resolved to show due respect by listening attentively as the sacred pronouncements from Jehovah are discussed at our upcoming district convention.<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Heh. My pub has more spirituality than this bunch of yahoos.

Englishman.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    While Moses was receiving the Law from Jehovah, "he ate no bread and he drank no water." (Ex. 34:28) Similarly, it would be inappropriate to eat or drink while convention sessions are in progress. Unless serious health factors are involved, wait until the "appointed time" for this.—Eccl. 3:1.

What control freaks!

• georgefoster
    georgefoster
    At some conventions, there continues to be a problem with many brothers and sisters and even young children milling about in the corridors during the sessions. Attendants will be instructed to ask such ones to return to the auditorium.

You've gotta be kidding me! I wouldn't last 5 minutes at one of these things. No wonder my wife was so grumpy after 3 days of PRISON. In fact, my 8 yr. old step daughter used that exact analogy.

• potleg
    potleg

Rules, rules and more rules. Can you imagine going through eternity with this lot in control...it would be hell...eternal punishment.

• Frog
    Frog

lol! thanks Englishman for the trip down memory lane...has been too long since I've heard any of those crappy announcements!

btw, when is Mr Bean/Rowan Atkinson coming back?? I like reading your posts with that avitar up (although I must add the real thing is far more attractive:)

Thanks again! frog

• Honesty
    Honesty

Thankyou for sharing this load of swine manure from the apostate JW's with us!!!

Heh. My pub has more spirituality than this bunch of yahoos.

Englishman.

The next round is on me.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

E-Man,

I love you dearly as you well know. However, whatever it was that you posted seems to have melted my eyes and made me quite ill.

Please don't do that again.

Now, if you will please excuse me, I need to find medical attention.

J

• Netty
    Netty

Ok so:

Be attentive

Arrive early

dont walk in late

dont disturb others

dont wait for opening song to be seated

be seated at THE SIGNAL introductory kingdom music

dont let children on the loose

make the family sit together