The Handmaid's Tale

by patio34 17 Replies latest jw friends

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i cant watch that...its ' R ' rated

• patio34
    patio34
    a behaviour of someone that is daft, culty, overly religious and always come out with 'that is so JW!' and laugh. ----Gill

LOL at that!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I have both seen it and read it - PRAISE BE

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

I must see this film.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I read the book a couple of months ago, and thought it was brilliant, nothing short of visionary. She paints a very believable picture of a totalitarian Christian fundamentalist dystopia, which is exactly what we're careening towards in the US. Fun years ahead.

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

Yep! Read it when I was still a good little jw. So funny how people reacted when I told them...'you're reading THAT?!' As if it was any worse than what's in the "Hebrew scriptures"...it's actually tamer. Margaret Atwood is one of Canada's finest writers and The Handmaid's Tale one of her best, for sure!

• outnfree
    outnfree

We read the book for our English composition class at college and had to answer some pretty thought-provoking questions on whether or not the scenario could ever happen in America and where the line between religion and government needed to be drawn.

I think the book far superior to the movie and well worth the read for all us cult-exiters here on JWD. What chilled me most in the book was the way mass hysteria was encouraged and used to commit heinous murders in the name of God for unconventional/rebellious behavior. Atwood realistically showed that even Ofglen was not immune to the cry for blood in the moment.

I do disagree, however, that that's how the US is going to become. While the fanatics both left and right are very vocal, I truly believe that most Americans would not allow religious tyranny to take over the fabric of everyday life. Now as far as ruining our environment so that many become barren, that's another story.

outnfree

• patio34
    patio34
    She paints a very believable picture of a totalitarian Christian fundamentalist dystopia, which is exactly what we're careening towards in the US. ------DantheMan

I was sort of thinking along those lines, especially now with the Supreme Court and other judgeships being selected by such a Christian absolutist.

I do disagree, however, that that's how the US is going to become. ; While the fanatics both left and right are very vocal, I truly believe that most Americans would not allow religious tyranny to take over the fabric of everyday life. ;------OutnFree

I hope you're right!

Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit