Apocalypse delayed again

by Hellrider 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    Because, as I understand, the year 1914 still stands as the year of the beginning of Jesus invisible presence? So the word "generation", does it mean those that lived in 1914, or does it mean ANYONE that are alive now in the end times?

You're very close. As I understand it, its anyone of the wicked alive at the time the big A comes. Whenever that comes. I was impressed with the way the Borg brought in this change and irate that it no longer could be used to trash te WT prophets.

"not by thinking about how many years or days make up a generation, but by thinking about how we count our days in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah". What on earth does this mean? That the way we count our days in "bringing joyful praise to Jehovah" is something relevant when it comes to deciding how longlived a generation is?

Sure, the FDS has now removed the theoretical endpoint, but don't fret over that brothers....The End is closer than ever....much wiser for you to slave for WTS serve J happily and not worry about it being a bit longer than you may have expected. You self-centered, faithless ones should seriously re-examine your motives for serving J (even though we were exploiting those desires and now are covering our asses).

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

This is the key!

If not even one of the people born before 1914 has to be alive on Armageddon-day anymore, this could mean that Armageddon could come tomorrow or in thousands of years, as the bible then doesn`t give any timeframe on how long the end-times are! - or how long this mystical generation-thing is going to last!

Those wise old birds a banking on you and I buying into the TOMORROW view.

Sorry, that was yesterday.

W.Once

• greendawn
    greendawn

Back in the mid 1980's I was also wondering how far they would stretch the generation time would it be until hardly any were left alive?

Then they came up with that absurd explanation of the figurative generation it shows how cunning and devious they are they need to keep up the pressure on the dubs, the end is always near no need for worldly education, pioneering is always an urgent necessity, stay in the org otherwise you have little time left.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Ok, thanks Midget-S and WasAnElder, I understand it now, in the way it...can be understood. It still doesn`t make sense though, because it doesn`t MAKE sense, at least not logically. "Generation" means what it means and what it has always meant, the average lifetime of a group of people born the same year. This save they made by redefining that word is so far-stretched and bogus that it`s really pathetic.It`s surreal, and when this organisation has to redefine words used in everyday-language into meaning something that they do NOT, this defines the organisation as a CULT once and for all (for those that still had any doubts about that). It reminds me more and more of something Orwellian. The rewriting of history found in "Animal Farm" has always been a symptome of JWs, but now they also have the redefining of words and manipulation of language found in "1984".

LoL, this puts another thing in perspective for me, though, I`ll tell you a story. Five years ago, my mother died, and as 4/5 of her children had left the sect, and she herself had disassociated herself from JWs over the last few years, we decided to bury her properly, in the state-church (we have a protestant state-church here in Norway), with a priest holding the service. My mother was a JW untill the end, but she had been disappointed with the sect (for various reasons, one of which was when a ministerial servant made a pass at her, trying to get her to have sex with him, she refused, told the elders, and they didn`t believe her, they chose to believe him instead, although everyone knew he was slightly retarded and a raving sex-maniac), and the last few years of her life, she didn`t go to meetings. Anyway, some of the people over at KH must have been provoced by the fact that we buried her properly, and one of the elders came to the funeral. Well, he sat there nice and quietly during the service, and didn`t mess up things, but he sure pissed me off afterwards! What he did, was that he walked around talking to us kids (not kids though,we were all over 25), trying to use that influence from when we were children, talking to us about Armageddon, saying that now`s the time to come back (to KH), that an incident like that (my mothers death) should make us think. And the weird thing about the whole thing was that he had an album with him, with newspaper-articles in it, from distasters around the world (earthquakes, wars, the ozone layer and so forth), talking about the "signs". But he never once mentioned that time was running out, you know, in the old sense, that the generation had soon died out. Not even once, and it surprised me, because that`s what they were always talking about before. Well, he ruined things after the service had been held, and that ruined the whole experience for me, it was emotional, it always is like that when a person looses his mother (unlike when my father died in 1986, I was 14 and didn`t shed a tear). And the thing that really bugs me, to this day, is that I didn`t knock him right down, physically I could easily have done it, but theres something about them (the elders), I think it`s the power they held over us when we were the kids, they were sort of the doomsday-prophets, we were scared of them, and that fear is (how surreal it may sound) still with us now in our adult lives. So I didn`t do it. I outwheighed that guy by about 20 kgs (40 pounds), he was around 60, I could have broken every bone in his body, and I wished aferwards that I had done it, but I could hardly look at him, and I didn`t prostest when he said all that crap about the end-times, I just mumbled that I wasn`t interested. Imagine, ruining someones burial, the lack of respect, it`s fu##ing unreal. If I ever have to bury a close one again, and that happens again, all hell`s gonna break loose, I I swear on my life!

• potleg
    potleg

All the society can say now is that he end is coming "soon", but what does "soon" mean?...Soon it'll be time for supper or soon men will be on Mars? Soon means nothing concrete. The old WT lion roars with a feeble voice and he's got no teeth.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

What was done at your Mother's funeral was pretty crappy, motivated by a sick corporate love for others but crappy none the less. Hitting is never the answer, unless they're armed.

Here's my stab at explaining the rationale for the redefinition of the word generation.

Jesus used the word to describe everyone in Isreal that was wicked at the time before the end of the Jewish "system of things". That included all the jews alive at that time, children, parents etc. The generation, all those wicked ones alive from the time of his arrival as messiah till the fall of jerusalem some 30 or so years later, constitute a "Generation" in themselves. So, that generation, not "age" specific but "time frame" specific, is the "Wicked Generation" that saw the end of the Jewish system of worship.

Today we know who constitutes the beginning of that generation, or time period, but not who are the last to be alive within it till the end of that time frame comes. (1914 - ?) Since it could come ANYTIME, we MUST WATCH OUR ASS.

Damn clever reasoning for the Remnant that are all about to enter the dustheap of history.

Its just another bamboozling flash of bright light.

It has deflated most of the wind from the urgency sails though.

Norway is a lovely country I might add.

W.Once

• Ticker
    Ticker

Believe it or not their are still many JW's that I have talked to that still believe in the old light of the 1914 generation. Not that they are choosing to believe contrary old light but they have no clue or else have forgotten that any change ever took place. I remember the very meeting this new info was presented and it was so briefly and quickly mentioned I can understand why people have not picked up on the fact that any change has taken place. With it being as confusing as it is and such brief mentionings at meetings I don't think the reality of the prophecy alteration has set in. And any who have bought into this obviously have lost the ability to reason outside of a watchtower, if God phrophesied this why would it all of a sudden be readjusted. Can God not figure out his own bible? Why all the changes, is not God infalliable? Pitiful men playing the role of God, sad so sad.

Ticker

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

So, Who's minding the store? This is nothing new to me. I left once in 1976 (1976 issue and the mediatorship) then again 1988. After that I've been following closely....Even in 1995 about dropping their main teaching on the issue of 1914 when they changed their publication in their AWAKE.

Ever wonder why I say that the Watchtower is a part of the antichrist?

I was never really planning to study ancient greek, Arabic, or hebrew until I began to study with the jehovah witnesses nor becoming a born again christian minister.

Today the elders, GB, nor Bethel will even talk to me. Well they might until they find out who I am..lol

Blessings

• RevFrank
    RevFrank

Just one more thought......the witnesses had their General Assembly this past week end out here in Lincoln Nebraska.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit