Question about Engagement Party

by Been there 8 Replies latest jw friends

• Been there
    Been there

Hi all,

I have been invited to my nephews engagement party. Can someone tell me if I am suppose to take a gift? If so what do you give for Engagement? I know Wedding Showers and Weddings but what about Engagements???????????

Thanks for any insight.

• blondie
    blondie

You can take a gift if you wish; supposedly it is not required officially. But be prepared for some to notice that you did not.

It is now acceptable to put your name on the card but

the person opening the present should not pass the card around with the gift.

Engagement parties are usually just for the bride traditionally. Something romantic is usually nice, candles, wine with 2 glasses (for the wedding night), fancy sheets, a certificate for a day at the spa or to a masseuse.

Wedding shower gifts are usually more practical.

Blondie

(there can be exceptions to everything said above)

• rebel8
    rebel8

I recently read several etiquette books because I recently got married. Gifts are never required by etiquette for any occassion. Tradition is a different story; gifts are traditional at weddings and showers. Engagement parties are iffy; some gift and some don't.

• Scully
    Scully

There's nothing wrong with contacting the person who is hosting and arranging the Engagement Party to find out what their plan is. If people bring gifts and it's not expected, then it usually requires extra time for opening the gifts that was not anticipated. A discreet way to ask is "I've never gone to an Engagement Party before, I'm very excited about this, but I have absolutely no idea what to expect. By the way, are you letting people know where (the happy couple) have their gift registry?" If the answer is "Yes, they are registered at ....." then you have an idea that the host has at least anticipated that there will be gifts for the couple. If the answer is "No, I really don't know" then you know that they probably haven't planned for a gift opening.

Usually the Maid of Honor is responsible for planning and hosting the Bridal Shower, and gifts are traditionally part of that celebration. Engagement parties are hosted by someone close to the couple, but not necessarily someone in the bridal party.

A lot depends on the culture of the families too, regarding their expectations on gift giving at these events. One Bridezilla I used to know used the value of the gifts that were received at the Engagement Party and Bridal Shower to "rank" people on her Wedding Reception guest list. The better (ie, more expensive) the gift, the better your chances were of getting invited to the Wedding Reception. Her rationale was "If I'm going to spend $200/person on this wedding, then the gifts I receive better at least allow me to break even." Personally, I don't attend functions where that is the underlying motive.

• Es
    Es

hey there its customary to give a gift at an engagement party. We just had ours and we had a gift registry with a few gifts on it so people could choose something we actually wanted. But we also asked for gifts in envelopes to as in money so we could put it towards our honeymoon. Hope this helps a bit es

• Been there
    Been there

Thank you all for your replies.

The mother of the bride to be is having a Luau.

I think when I RSVP I will say I don't know if I am to bring a gift since I have never been to one. Good idea Scully.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

great ideas here. what would we do without the ladies of JWD.

wait I know what I would have probably done...... I would have bought the gift than sat in the parking lot until someone else showed up and looked to see it they were taking in a gift. But that's just me. Your way was much better...

Lisa

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    One Bridezilla I used to know used the value of the gifts that were received at the Engagement Party and Bridal Shower to "rank" people on her Wedding Reception guest list. The better (ie, more expensive) the gift, the better your chances were of getting invited to the Wedding Reception. Her rationale was "If I'm going to spend $200/person on this wedding, then the gifts I receive better at least allow me to break even."

OMG, that is so pathetic!!!

• Scully
    Scully

Billygoat:

OMG, that is so pathetic!!!

Yes, you're right. And precisely why I boycotted all of her bridal showers, engagement parties etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit