Whence came all the Aussies?

by Hmmm 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Hmmm
    Hmmm

Being an isolated, provincial American, I've learned all I know about the land Down Under by watching Crocodile Dundee. These are the conclusions I've reached:

There are roughly 1,000,000 kangaroos in Australia.
    There are roughly 100,000 aborigines in Australia.
    There are roughly 10,000 non-aboriginal Australians in Australia.
    Of the 10,000, roughly 8,000 are lifeguards or surfers.
    Of the 2,000 remaining, probably 200 are/were JWs.
    Of those 200, roughly 20 are now Ex-JW "apostates"
    Of those 20, 19 post on this DB.

Hence my question: Why so many Aussies on the boards? Is Australia a hotbed of apostasy? Is it just a coinkidink, or is my pain medication kicking in again?

Hmmm

• think41self
    think41self

Hello Hmmm,

Welcome to the board, I haven't greeted you yet.

I have also noted the influx/invasion of Aussies on the board, and all I can say is "Thank You God" (or whoever). They are the most irreverent, honest, unashamed bunch of free wheeling folks I have ever met. When they are in the chat room, it is a "Happenin'" place. I hope they invite more of their friends!

think41self

"When agnostics die, do they go to the great perhaps"?

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Well, thank you Hmmmm and think41self for noticing us. You know if you think we're noisy here, you should be with us all when we get together for bbqs and so on. We're positively LOUD! If you've learned all you know about us from Crocodile Dundee, heaven help us! Paul Hogan is a master at portraying the characature of an aussie male. Before gaining fame on the big screen he used to be a rigger on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. He entered a talent quest on TV, was liked by Mike Willessee (a big TV personality at the time), got his break on doing regular spots on the guy's TV show, then got his own series and it took off. However aussies are brash, irreverent, kindhearted, fun-loving, generous souls. And I've got a big head!

Why are there so many on this board? Well, many of us came over from the H20 board. Aussies had much to do with its generation/evolution. Simon's board was such a happy, peaceful place and we thought we'd come and change that! Simon's rules ("no rules") suited us at the time, eh unclebruce? We're so glad to be in this happy, happening place. If we hadn't come, well we wouldn't have met such informed guys as Maximus, Jemimah, MacHislopp, etc And aren't you glad unclebruce came. Ain't he somethin' else? Hope he gets back to a computer soon. He's hibernating for the winter at present, but don't worry, spring's nearly here. We come in all shapes and sizes from the beautiful blonde Prisca, and the handsome ex-patriot Hippikon, to the old farmer ozziepost who looks down from the highlands on the sea-loving unclebruce! Older Tom and Younger Tom are like Laurel and Hardy. (Oops, they'll kill me!) We do have the learned Amos and the cult-expert JanG who has quite a crowd in sunny Queensland.

Although we love fun, we, like the rest of you guys, have felt the anger and disillusionment at learning the truth about the borg. This, coupled with seeing at firsthand the works of the elders (Pharisee class), has made us want to 'let it out' and 'tell it out'. There are so many examples here in Australia of the elders, supported by the Branch, wielding the big stick. Their harsh attitude was typified at last year's Sydney District Convention when one speaker, Vin Toole, (take note Maximus!) used the illustration of a little 3 year old boy being 'disfellowshipped' (shunned) by his parents because of some misdemeanor, as being something commendable. As a side point Vin Toole is in Legal Dept (a former CO) and supervises all Family Law Court actions in Australia for JWs. With such an attitude as that at the top, is it any wonder that there's trouble in the Aussie Witness congs! That's the attitude that flows through to the elders in the local congregations.

How are we going? We're all at different stages of walking along the road to freedom and for some of us it's a road to Christian freedom, but whatever our personal beliefs at this point in the journey, we're happy to share!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"There are two ways of moving men, interest and fear" Napoleon

• think41self
    think41self

((((Ozzie))))

And we are SO glad you're here! Please stay and invite ALL your friends to come visit. I have not made all my conclusions concerning Aussie's based on Paul Hogan, I have had the pleasure of meeting in person one of your lovable countrymen...and yes, you are a brash, fun loving group.

think41self

"When agnostics die, do they go to the great perhaps"?

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

As for why are there so many of us here on the internet (and thanks SO much for remembering me, Ozzie! ), I think a former Prime Minister of ours expressed it best. He said: "Australia is the arse-end of the world!". Once the internet turned up, a fairly high percentage of us took up the opportunity to mingle with the rest of the world, no longer bound by the "tyranny of distance". There're still a few of us who think that Australia is the be all and end all, but hopefully they're learning. As for ex-JWs, it doesn't surprise me: the Tower religion has a very American feel to it, and Yank-bashing is almost as popular in Oz as it is in Canada (I don't do it much myself!). So it's not surprising that many Aussies who are sucked into a religion that claims that "all good things come from New York" quickly find excuses to get out ASAP! I personally happen to like the US, and I find that's not a popular line to take in certain circles. More fool them, I say!

• Had Enough
    Had Enough

G'day all:

think41self: You said the exact words I did when I was reading Ozzie's post. I'm glad too!

I have Ozzie to thank for my finally getting the nerve to post. I've seen the "kind-hearted, fun-loving and generous" Ozzie but not the brash and irreverant one....does he exist?

I love to read all the Aussies' posts...yes, yours' too Stephanus, and knowing how much fun we had at our little get-together here in Canada, I know we'd have a real blast at your bbq's too! Wish I could get there.

Had Enough

"Never doubt that a small group of citizens can change the world.
    Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
    ...Margaret Mead

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

My dear Stephanus,
    I'm mortified! How could I omit your name? I have no excuses. Actually when I mentioned Hippy i also thought of you but i guess in the flow of the moment I omitted your name. Actually I wasn't meaning to write an inclusive list for there are many other aussies whose posts I enjoy and whose names I omitted too.

Nevertheless, I am sorry, old son. Forgive this old farmer? What say we make up at the next bbq? can you make it this time too? Hope so.

Cheers,
    Ozzie

"There are two ways of moving men, interest and fear" Napoleon

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

That's okay, Ozzie, all is forgiven!

As for the BBQ, when's the next one? I wasn't able to make the last one due to ill health. I'm experiencing a bit of that at the mo as well; pulled out of uni this semester as a result. How long before I get another chance to shake your sweaty palm, me old China? You weren't Adrian at the last bash, I hope!

Are we still going to get an apostate contingent together for the DIstrict convention in October? Should be a laugh!

Good to hear the Canadians are having a go at these apostate gatherings too! Given time, these events may grow bigger than the congregations gathering in the nearest KHs. Perhaps we should all drop in to the nearest one after the next bash.

• hippikon
    hippikon
    They are the most irreverent, honest, unashamed bunch of free wheeling folks I have ever met.

Thats just bullshit!

• hippikon
    hippikon
    handsome ex-patriot Hippikon

That man knows a thing or two

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit