Pay, Salary etc

by ballistic 12 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

I discovered today that my company are paying newbies (trainees) considerably more than me,

I'm a bit miffed about it to be honest. I don't think I'm on a bad wage, but it doesn't seem right that

people who have stuck with the company through thick and thin are overlooked while new people

get the going market rate.

What would you do, bearing in mind we are forbidden to discuss salaries so I can't divulge what I know,

and I can't really pleed poverty as it wouldn't wash.

???

• greendawn
    greendawn

I understand that they are paying them better wages than what you get after years of service, what will the senior managers say if you bring up to them this issue? It sounds very strange don't they have an ethical code of conduct which binds them to treat all staff fairly?

• ballistic
    ballistic
    what will the senior managers say if you bring up to them this issue?

Catch 22 - I can't bring this up as it will prove I have broken the terms of my contract by discussing salary with other members of staff. (edited to add - I haven't actually discussed my salary with anyone - one new employee decided to tell everyone else)

• Scully
    Scully

You could resign and then have them re-hire you at the going rate. You might even get a better deal, considering your years of experience.

• luna2
    luna2

If you are sure that you are considered a valuable employee and that they'd not want to lose you, you could drop hints that you are consdering looking elsewhere for employment???? Might spur them to bring your wages into line perhaps.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    You could resign and then have them re-hire you at the going rate.

Do you know what? I'm going to do exactly that. Thanks!

I'm going to wait until the pay rise and bonus at the end of December. And if they sit me in the office and give me another 200 pound bonus and no pay rise, I'm going to hand them my notice there and then. And I'll probably take a year or two of my retirement now.

Sorted.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

The only reason they forbid you from dicussing salary is to divide and rule. Is there a union rep you could discuss this 'ban on discussing salary' with? Im sure its not ethical. is it legally enforceable? Can they really sack you if you happen to discuss your wage with someome? It happened at my work, and the lower paid employee made a fuss and left. The managers were just really embarrased, but nothing heavy happened.

Good luck, whatever you do.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Is there a union rep you could discuss this 'ban on discussing salary' with?

No unions. None at all.

I actually thought the part of the contract about pay confidentiality was quite universal, but from the replies here perhaps not. Worth looking into.

• Ticker
    Ticker

I just went through a similar situation at work. What I did was I verbally gave my quitting notice to the boss and kinda had a heated argument about why I was quitting. Next thing I knew he took me out for dinner where I proceeded to order a medium rare new york steak and I got offered a $2.50 raise to stay with the company. Not saying this would work but it is better to say something then to not say something and work in an unhappy environment. I had a bit of an advantage becuase their are far and few in between techs in my area with four years of post secondary so I had a bit of leverage on my side. It was easier for them to appease me then to find a replacement since we are so badly understaffed as it is. Its not that im greedy and need a big wage but I went through four years of schooling and like hell am I going to let a company try to downplay thoese credentials and pay me less then someone lacking thoese credentials. Wish you luck anyways.

Ticker

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I haven't actually discussed my salary with anyone - one new employee decided to tell everyone else)I haven't actually discussed my salary with anyone - one new employee decided to tell everyone else

So you haven't breached your contract - the newbie has!

as far as I know, if you are doing 'equivalent' work and assuming you have the same skills/qualifications, your employer is legally obliged to pay you the same rate. If they refuse to do so, crazy as this sounds, you can resign and claim for unfair dismissal with the employment tribunal. (Be warned though - this can take years!)

Make an appointment to see someone at your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau, it's free and they'll give you lots of help whatever happens.

Good luck

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit