Another question for atheists, spirituality

by IP_SEC 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I'm not talking about deeminz and gawds, or the supernatural here, just the state of being spiritual.

Do you have it? What is it to you? What accounts for it in the evolutionary model?

Muchos Gracias Amigos.

(edit) examples: The birth of your child... inspiration at a work of art... awe of the universe at large.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I don't have it, don't want it, and aint impressed by it. I am able to enjoy, appreciate and be moved by "The birth of your child... inspiration at a work of art... awe of the universe at large" every bit as much as people who feel a need to assume the lingo of people who believe in invisible spirit beings in order to lend an air of special importance to their wonderment.

IMO, it's bullshinto.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

I couldnt have said it better SixofNine.

GBL

• Sith
    Sith

I kinda believe in the spiritual side. I really didn't want to. I hated God for a time. I can't anymore. I'm still feeling my way, I guess

• kls
    kls

Hi ya Binner , i don't know how i feel or what i believe in , i just am numb about it all.

• talesin
    talesin

Spirituality has become something I find within, and in the trees, nature, art,,, the kind of stuff you mentioned. Wonderment, a feeling of oneness with the universe, unconditional love,,, these are the things that bring me contentment. No need for me to look for answers anymore, and I'm happy with that.

I haven't believed in dog for many years, how can there be one, who allows the little children to be tortured?

Evolution, well maybe? I not all that interested, so it's not an issue for me. I'm here, and will make the best of it.

t

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    I kinda believe in the spiritual side. I really didn't want to. I hated God for a time. I can't anymore.

Not an uncommon feeling for ex-JW's, and understandable. I'm not sure if Sith is saying he was at one time an atheist/agnostic or not, but I have heard people who considered themselves atheist at one time say something similar. In my estimation however, a person who hates god is far from being an atheist/agnostic.

• Terry
    Terry

Anybody who knows me for more than an hour is aware of how I feel about accurate definitions of words.

You see, I made an important (for me) discovery a few years back. I discovered that information can only be transmitted and received when words have definitions. Much of what passes for "information" is junk and is transmitted by words which I call "floating concepts" because they have no specific meanings. They stimulate our sense of inferences instead of identifying anything specific.

SPIRITUALITY is one of those junk words without definition. It triggers inferences.

When you say to somebody that you are SPIRITUAL you trigger all the ___possible___religiously flavored concept stored in that person's mind. This generates a general (not specific) feeling that they probably know what you mean. But, if you ask them what you mean when you say "spiritual" they will hemm and haw and sputter with indefinable vagueness.

When you cannot define what words you are using; you are speaking gibberish!

Many (if not most) religious terminology is conceptual only.

All the explanations of doctrines depend on this vagueness of conceptual generality.

"You will surely die" can mean you will cease physical existence or that you will lose favor with God or that your hope will die or.......well, you get the idea.

Even a seemingly straightforward word like "DAY" is just used coceptually in Scripture to mean an indefinite time or a 24 hour time or a period of 7thousand years or.....well, once again, you get the picture.

Here is a good rule of thumb:

When something can mean anything; it really only means nothing.

T.

• greendawn
    greendawn

All humans need to have a spiritual dimension in order to feel wholesome and complete.

In my opinion the things around us do point to a superhuman intelligent being that created them they are far too complicated, well ordered and meaningful to be here by mere chance.

• Sith
    Sith

SixofNine, that's what I found so appealing about this forum. So many people who felt the same as I did. It was really a...can I say this?...godsend for me. I tried to be an atheist. I told God to go fuck himself. Now, my spiritual side is slowly coming back, whether I like it or not. Dammit

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit