Why is chalk white?

by Qcmbr 27 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

Purely guessing here but I was thinking,

calcium chloride and sodium carbonate when mixed make chalk so maybe either the chlorides or purely the strong alkaline of the calicium carbonate may have some kind of bleaching effect.

If my theory is correct, an analogy would be looking into a bucket of soap and asking why it is so clean.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Chalk (or any other 'white' substance) appears white (or whitish) when two conditions are true:

1. Light in the full range of the visible spectrum is present
    2. The substance reflects all or most of that light.
    The real question is, 'is the chalk still white when the lights are off?'
  • Evanescence
    Evanescence

No no look!

RED GREEN YELLOW!!!

Evanescence

• sonnyboy
    sonnyboy

I used to eat chalk in kindergarten. It wasn't half bad.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Sunlight is made a mixture of seven colours (as can be seen in the rainbow where they get separated by a natural process)and if all seven colours get reflected by an object then it appears white, if it absorbs all of them it appears black.

So white chalk reflects all sunlight colours.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Evanescence,
    Chalk may appear red, green, blue, or some other colour other than white when one or both of the two conditions I stated are not met.
    Specifically, if the light is not composed of the full visible spectrum (and is therefore coloured), or if the pigments in the chalk absorb part of the light spectrum, it will not appear white.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    Sunlight is made a mixture of seven colours (as can be seen in the rainbow where they get separated by a natural process)and if all seven colours get reflected by an object then it appears white, if it absorbs all of them it appears black.

Sunlight is composed of more than the visible spectrum (for example if also includes ultraviolet light), and the visible part of the light is a 'spectrum' of colours, not seven discrete colours. Because the wavelengths of different coloured light differ, when light is refracted through water droplets in the atmosphere, the different colours of light are bent at different angles, causing them to appear independantly, producing the familiar rainbow.

So white chalk reflects all sunlight colours.

White chalk reflects all colours of light from lightbulbs too.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

Ah so we got ourselves some tricky chalk do we?

They may appear pink, blue, purple or red but if you look beyond what you see you'll see the truth those chalks are hiding something!

Evanescence

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit