New Book? "What Does the Bible REALLY Teach?"

by Cameron 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Cameron
    Cameron

Someone from Russia said that the Society has a new Bible Study Aid, "What Does the Bible REALLY Teach?" and that it doesn't mention Matthew 24:45-47.

Does anyone know anything about this book? Specifically, is it true that it doesn't even mention Matthew 24:45-47 let alone try to explain it?

Don

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Should be called. "What does the bible really, really really teach volume 86.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Hey Don,

Long time no talk.

I got a copy of the new book last weekend. The rumor is it will be used to replace the Knowledge book. When I got it I immediately looked for the statement where they talk about the organization being chosen in 1919. It was noticeably absent.

I breifly scanned chapter 8, "What is God's Kingdom" and chapter 15, "Worship that God Approves". I saw no mention of TFDS doctrine.

I think it is likely that they are slowly phasing that one out. Or at least I would expect them to quit talking about when all that took place. They want to coast along with the idea that they must be God's organization because of what they are teaching today is so unique and remarkeable. All they said in chapter 8 was that faithful Bible Students recognized and predicted the prophecies that were fulfilled in 1914.

On another topic. I haven't read your book in awhile, but I think I have found a way to enhance your argument. You mention the belief in 1919 that Christ returned in 1874. So by admission today, they admit that was a false teaching. Naturally they will say the light grows brighter in the end. But I applied the following scripture to that argument (posed as a question of course):

Matthew 24:23-26

23 "Then if anyone says to YOU, ‘Look! Here is the Christ,’ or, ‘There!’ do not believe it. 24 For false Christs and false prophets will arise and will give great signs and wonders so as to mislead, if possible, even the chosen ones. 25 Look! I have forewarned YOU. 26 Therefore, if people say to YOU, ‘Look! He is in the wilderness,’ do not go out; ‘Look! He is in the inner chambers,’ do not believe it

The light grows brighter for the righteous. But when Christ was speaking here, he was talking about "false prophets". It isn't very likely that Christ would choose a group in 1919 that was also exhibiting behaviour that He Himself associated with "false prophets". I haven't gotten an answer on this one.

Furthermore, in 1919 they were teaching that the end would come in 1925? So that means at the same time that Christ was choosing them they were also in violation of the following verse. Again, the path grows brighter for the righteous, not those exhibiting behavior that Christ associated with misleading, and false prophets!

Luke 21:8

8 He said: "Look out that YOU are not misled; for many will come on the basis of my name, saying, ‘I am he,’ and, ‘The due time has approached.’ Do not go after them.

Again, I have not recieved a response to my question here.... 3-weeks now. Take care. Hope everything is going well for you.

CYP

Censer Watchtower esse delendam

slow-steady-deliberate-relentless

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Click below for more info:

2005 New Release - What Does The Bible Really Teach?

In the above link there is a complete post qouting the 1914 section. No mention of 1919 there, or anywhere else that I noticed.

• jaffacake
  • GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

There was no mention of the 1919 tenet in the "Knowledge"-Book either.

• Cameron
    Cameron

True, but the "Knowledge" book does refer to Matthew 24:45-47 on page 161.

Don

• potleg
    potleg

I haven't seen the new book YET but I will...Remember the Org doesn't want people to look into their past... would you if you were them...it's a little embarrasing, isn't it, just look at the pretty pictures and do as they tell you. It's the simple way to paradise...don't ask questions...only apostates do that!

• whatistruth
    whatistruth

Wow how original!!!!! They'll make it out to be the best publication printed to date, state of the art ideas, new thoughts with a thundering applause. But guess what? Same old, same old. Been there, done that. I have honestly never read such boring one-sided stuff in my life as any publication the watchtower prints.

Yawn

• JoeGeneration
    JoeGeneration

"New Light!"
    The basis for doing away with the 1914 doctrine may have been laid in this new book. I believe this is the first time, at least in one of the WTS “teaching books,” where credit has been given to a named source for the calculation of the year 1914. It says in the body of the book and in the appendix dealing with 1914 that “Bible students” and “sincere Bible students” calculated 1914. Predecessors to the Bible Teach book such as the Knowledge book, PE book, and the Truth book have never indicated who calculated 1914. Typically, when Bible Students are discussed in WTS literature it is given with a capital B and S (i.e., Bible Students referring to the International Bible Students Association). However, in this instance notice the use of a lower case s for students. I believe this is an attempt to lay the ground work for a future ‘new light’ by down playing the WTS ownership of 1914. This is accomplished by indicating that it was “sincere Bible students” that made this calculation. Perhaps they are referred to as “sincere” since they meant well even though they were ‘wrong.’ In keeping with the WTS trend that the 'faithful and discrete slave' can never be wrong they would choose to give ownvership to "sincere Bible studetns" since “sincere Bible students” certainly could be worng whereas the WTS could never admit to being wrong. More than half of the JW’s today have entered the WTS organization after the release of the Knowledge book (i.e., the pervious new bible student teach book). At least more than half of the JW’s today have not staked their expectations of when Armageddon might occur to the death of the generation that saw the events of 1914, since that concept was not taught in the Knowledge book. So the importance of 1914 must be of less significance in the mind of the Knowledge book inductees as compared to anyone coming into the JW organization prior the new understanding on generations from Matt. 24:36. A new teaching book seems to be released every ten years or so. So when a new teaching book comes out, by that time more than three quarters of JW’s will not have ever placed as much importance on the year 1914 as JW’s have prior to the new understanding on generations. In the next ten years or so the year 1914 will not have much other meaning than any other supposed historical date. So then, a new understanding of 1914 doctrine would not be ‘earth shattering’ to the JW faithful. This usage of “sincere Bible students” in the new Bible Teach book is readying the minds of the JW faithful for that kind of understanding or ‘new light.’ This kind of new light my never come about, but I suggest that the ground work for its acceptance by the JW faithful has been laid. This would allow the WTS to reconcile the count of 2520 years as starting from 607 B.C.E. to 587, 588, or 589 B.C.E. The expression “sincere Bible students” as tied to a discussion of 1914 was used at least two times before by the WTS. These were in the Watchtower and Awake magazines one dating back to 1975. In both of those articles Bible students (note the use of the lower case ‘s’ for students) were identified as Jehovah’s Witnesses. So if the use of “sincere Bible students” in the new Bible Teach book is a prelude to a new understanding of the 2520 years doctrine, then this may create a slight SNAFU.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit