"7 up" young JW search

by mtbatoon 11 Replies latest social entertainment

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

In the 60's there was a BBC documentary called “7 UP” that followed a group of seven year olds at seven year intervals throughout there lives. Quite a few years ago I saw a U.S version and on it there was a dub grub who lived on a farm somewhere. I never got to see any more of the shows and wondered if he grew up to give a good witness to American TV land or ended up going the predictable route that we have come to know and love.

• aniron
    aniron

Hey I was just thinking about this same program the other day and was wondering about the American JW kid.

Can't remember seeing any further programs .

Always remember my JW wife getting in a twist because they showed the JW kid on a farm using a gun to shoot at tin cans. She said "They can't be JW's beacuse they had guns".

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

Yep that's the one. Even though I'd been out for a while I was envious of his fancy shooting.

• TheListener
    TheListener

42 up was done in 1998. Here is a quote:

From my perspective, Nick, the farmboy who has evolved into a fusion scientist and educator, shares similar traits with Bruce (the afore-mentioned teacher) and Paul, an orphan who now lives in Australia with his wife and two children. All three of these men take a fairly honest view of their lives, which are quite different in many respects. Nick comes from a small farming community where he and his youngNick Hitchon brothers were the only children and were given their studies in a schoolhouse not much bigger than a shed. Bruce comes from an upper-class background but has dedicated his life to teaching and helping others, bears regret for "things he might have missed" due to his self-proclaimed "reserve." Paul and his wife have provided for their children but live on the edge of financial troubles, even though their outlook is positive and they seem well-adjusted and believe in themselves and their future.

from: http://www.filmmonthly.com/Video/Articles/42up/42up.html

• TheListener
    TheListener

You can find 28 up and 35 up on Amazon.

• mtbatoon
    mtbatoon

Thanks Listener but I think that's the original UK series. The U.S one I saw was possibly in the late 80's or early to mid 90's, might have been 7 or 14 up. Anyone?

• TheListener
    TheListener

I think 28 up was a compilation of 7,14 and 21?

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

mtbatoon- i remember this. They filmed him (at 7 yrs old) on the ministry- on his own. That looked a bit odd to me.... it was very staged, and he looked like a bit of a zombie.... really monotone voice all the time and looked miserable.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Oh the US version. Sorry.

• TheListener

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit